Islanders Point Blank: The importance of locker room chemistry, & what that means for the Isles

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Chemistry is ephemeral. Leadership is real.

Anybody that has ever served in the military and took part in combat or dangerous operations knows about leadership. It is respect given to certain individuals based on trust. It is the "follow me guys" approach and no one doubts and holds back.
A natural leader is a person who is dedicated and real, who is willing to make every sacrifice and put out every effort that he asks for from the rest of the players. JT may be our best offensive player but Jonathan Toews is a much better example of a leader because he does everything as well as he can, and he sacrifices his point totals, his body, anything to set an example of what it takes.
JT is not that player. Boychuck certainly has much more of that for us and I wish he would step up without stepping on JT's feet. Inspiration sometimes is greater that perspiration which is why a fight can get a team bonded.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Fine, I'll rephrase. The chemistry in baseball isn't nearly as important as it is in more teamwork oriented sports.

Agree to a certain extent. However a pitcher and catcher have to have chemistry. Infielders have to have chemistry so it's more prevalent than one thinks in baseball. Chemistry is everywhere in baseball. It just might not be as evident.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Anybody that has ever served in the military and took part in combat or dangerous operations knows about leadership. It is respect given to certain individuals based on trust. It is the "follow me guys" approach and no one doubts and holds back.
A natural leader is a person who is dedicated and real, who is willing to make every sacrifice and put out every effort that he asks for from the rest of the players. JT may be our best offensive player but Jonathan Toews is a much better example of a leader because he does everything as well as he can, and he sacrifices his point totals, his body, anything to set an example of what it takes.
JT is not that player. Boychuck certainly has much more of that for us and I wish he would step up without stepping on JT's feet. Inspiration sometimes is greater that perspiration which is why a fight can get a team bonded.

Well done Bill D. Well done. Absolutely, one of my favorite posts ever on this site.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Well said Bill. I'd add that a coaching staff that coddles the poor little children doesn't help either.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You're gonna source that?

Passing speculation off as fact needs to stop.

You missed the early season press reports that Snow had shopped Okposo, asking for 1-2 young, cost controlled assets back and found no takers, that he finally took Okposo off the trade table?
Facts. Not speculation.

I am editing this. He shopped Okposo just before the draft and found no team giving up 1-2 quality, cost controlled kids.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...s-kyle-okposo-a-possible-pre-draft-trade-chip

Last edited:

BroadwayJay*

You missed the early season press reports that Snow had shopped Okposo, asking for 1-2 young, cost controlled assets back and found no takers, that he finally took Okposo off the trade table?
Facts. Not speculation.

I am editing this. He shopped Okposo just before the draft and found no team giving up 1-2 quality, cost controlled kids.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...s-kyle-okposo-a-possible-pre-draft-trade-chip

I don't think that link supports what you said.

Do you?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
[QroadwayJay;113685603]I don't think that link supports what you said.

Do you?[/QUOTE]

Staple said in one of his comments to a fan on twitter, that Snow was asking for 1-2 cost controlled ,young nhl players back.

Curious. WHAT do posters think Snow would ask for if not young ,cheap nhl talent?

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I look at Tavares as a leader but he still is a #2. Look Eric Staal and Vinnie Lecavalier are talented men who work hard and exemplify leadership but it was Rod Brindamour and Andreyckuck that came in and provided the leadership and experience to help those teams win the stanley cup.

Just because he is the best goal scorer on the team does not qualify him as a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad