Islanders Point Blank: The importance of locker room chemistry, & what that means for the Isles

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/t...y-and-what-that-means-for-the-isles/164118162

Locker room chemistry. It's this mystical element in sports that no one can pinpoint. In retrospect, it's obvious, as cases in Islanders lore abound. The 1993 team that made an unexpected run to the Prince of Wales Finals had it. The dynasty teams had so much they could sent some extra mojo around the league and still gone on their run. But how easy is it to spot in the midst of a season? And does this Islanders team have that elusive 'it'?

One this is for certain. They're spending a lot of time talking about it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It holds weight, any social aspect in life is reflective of morale and chemistry.

Someone in the media of the Kings talked about how big Lucic is in the locker room because they had lost Mitchell, Greene to injuries, Richards and Stoll to free agency etc but haven't gotten that tightness back.

In the players tribune article Lucic wrote he talked about it a little, how when he was 19 big Z came up to him and shook his hand like a man, how close he and Shawn Thornton were. Shawn now seems to be a leader in Florida.

And look at Boulton now, has played like 1-3 games, doing the IR scam and not costing us anything and gets to be there for the team. I think JT likes him a lot and relies on his persona whether it's the sheriff or horsing around. Staple told during that Q&A with Bourne and Gillies that after Staple ripped on Boulton for something, JT and Boults sat him down and tore him up too.

I'd like to add to it however. Adding an Andrew Ladd should be a big deal.

These guys are definitely close, they definitely want to stick it out together and don't want to see friends shipped out but at the same time we are barely holding on to 3rd place. Can't just not make a move because of friendships.

Garth handed the keys to the team by only adding depth in Zidlicky, Bernier and Greiss. Team hasn't exactly rewarded him for keeping them close.

No roster overhaul but no standing pat either. Do what you need Garth.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Chemistry, it's a weird thing. People talk about sports teams and their chemistry, but the same EXACT players that seem to get along when things go well, the locker room seems to become toxic when in the midst of a losing streak, so I think it's a bit overrated.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The most interesting bit is Capuano actually using the word "accountability" for the first time ever. It's a word that should be used much more often in Isles circles, so maybe, just maybe have they woken up to that now? One can only hope..

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
We need to see some charts on this from the, if you can't measure it it's not real, crowd. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Two thoughts on this piece:

1. If you have to discuss chemistry and whether it exists or not, it most likely doesn't.

2. Not sure how he labels this rebuild a success. Team hasn't won dick.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Is chemistry a thing? Most definitely. Having said that, the media doesn't know jack **** about the inner dynamics of the lockerroom, even the perceptive members only get a peek. Remember when Chris Campoli got traded and every media member immediately ran to Bruno Gervais, literally everyone assumed they were the best of friends, only then did it come out that, ya they were teammates, ya they were friendly but they weren't best friends like everyone assumed and Bruno want devastated like the media expected.

Always cracks me up when I see "good lockerroom guy" written here. Fact of the matter is the guy could be the biggest **** you've ever met and you wouldn't know any better. So ya, it's important, but we as fans don't know enough to say whether a person adds or detracts from the chemistry in a lockerroom.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
It holds weight, any social aspect in life is reflective of morale and chemistry.

Someone in the media of the Kings talked about how big Lucic is in the locker room because they had lost Mitchell, Greene to injuries, Richards and Stoll to free agency etc but haven't gotten that tightness back.

In the players tribune article Lucic wrote he talked about it a little, how when he was 19 big Z came up to him and shook his hand like a man, how close he and Shawn Thornton were. Shawn now seems to be a leader in Florida.

And look at Boulton now, has played like 1-3 games, doing the IR scam and not costing us anything and gets to be there for the team. I think JT likes him a lot and relies on his persona whether it's the sheriff or horsing around. Staple told during that Q&A with Bourne and Gillies that after Staple ripped on Boulton for something, JT and Boults sat him down and tore him up too.

These guys are definitely close, they definitely want to stick it out together and don't want to see friends shipped out but at the same time we are barely holding on to 3rd place. Can't just not make a move because of friendships.

Garth handed the keys to the team by only adding depth in Zidlicky, Bernier and Greiss. Team hasn't exactly rewarded him for keeping them close.

Nothing against Boulton, but if the Captain of the team needs guidance/help from a 38yr old 'warrior' that hasn't played 95% of the games due to the Isles scamming the IR system, then one needs to think something is really missing in that locker room.

Snow seems to have given JT the runway to grow and develop into a leader, but from my vantage point, he's no there yet. The team needs additional leadership that plays on the ice nightly.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Nothing against Boulton, but if the Captain of the team needs guidance/help from a 38yr old 'warrior' that hasn't played 95% of the games due to the Isles scamming the IR system, then one needs to think something is really missing in that locker room.

Snow seems to have given JT the runway to grow and develop into a leader, but from my vantage point, he's no there yet. The team needs additional leadership that plays on the ice nightly.

I agree. I think Tavares needs a seasoned vet on his wing that can help lead the team on and off the ice come playoffs. A guy like Ladd could go a long way for this team. I wanted to sign Williams in the worst way this offseason for that reason.

Vanek was a great fit with this team. JT needs another star in the worst way.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nielsen is the captain of this team in my opinion. I can't think of another current Islander who I can be sure is going to show up at puck drop and leave it out on the ice for 60 minutes. He sets the bar on the ice for effort, and has a short memory on the ice as well.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Chemistry, it's a weird thing. People talk about sports teams and their chemistry, but the same EXACT players that seem to get along when things go well, the locker room seems to become toxic when in the midst of a losing streak, so I think it's a bit overrated.

Any relationship can sour or change. It certainly exists, but it is definitely helped by winning. You don't hear too many stories of teams that are winning that have chemistry issues. I think the big red flag is if that happens to your team.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

38 year old has been in the show for 15 seasons, why can't he contribute? You can learn something from anyone really, how about Lucic talking about the equipment manager for the road as a 19 year old? It was Johnny Bucyk but I just think that if a role is being served, it doesn't matter where it comes from as long as the people in there believe it leads to success.

But I agree with the bolded, wrote about that too. That's why I want Ladd.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The one thing this club has lacked for over a decade is real leadership. That was my number one goal in wanting Iggy (although his game is finally turning sour according to CO fans I have been talking with) and part of my wanting Brown. IMO, they still need a leader.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
The one thing this club has lacked for over a decade is real leadership. That was my number one goal in wanting Iggy (although his game is finally turning sour according to CO fans I have been talking with) and part of my wanting Brown. IMO, they still need a leader.

Be interesting to see Brown here with a reduced cap hit and if Okposo leaves, at like 4 million.

But Doug Weight was a real leader, just we got him at like 36.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

We have that. Their names are Frans Nielsen and Johnny Boychuk.

The other poster said it best where as outsiders it's almost impossible for us to know what the chemistry is, however I've seen several positive on ice signs that let me know it's there. Little things like JT doing the YES YES YES chant on the Devils ot goal, and players doing it together after the game. Strait jumping in for Hickey. Also, a weird, but memorable moment on the bench where Weight was giving Strome some tutelage and Strome gripped Weight's hand on his shoulder. That tells me there is a lot of respect going on with this team and that at the very least stems from some chemistry. That's my two cents anyway.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
it's all relative to winning. The 93 team had it...the 94 team (which IIRC was more or less the same roster) didn't.

Another thing, does it even matter? Let's just say that JT wasn't the likable guy that he is. Would it matter? Would he all of a sudden no longer be our our best player/guy we rely on? Would Ryan Strome not want to pass to him (which he does too often if you ask me).

And a locker room full of really good people only gets you so far. It hasn't gotten us out of the 1st round

The bronx zoo yankees won a championship (or 2?) and they seemingly hated eachother (and their manager). Talent will always triump.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
it's all relative to winning. The 93 team had it...the 94 team (which IIRC was more or less the same roster) didn't.

I don't know who on the current team has the balls to (in theory) give a speech like that, but I would love for it to happen.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
It's absurd to think that anyone on HFBoards knows who are the leaders on this team or any team. You don't know.

Judging leadership by media interviews is ridiculous.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I had read that JT relies on Bolton, to help provide locker room leadership.

Ladd has been a Jet for 5 seasons and they have made the playoffs 1 time.
I am not opposed to adding Ladd depending on the cost, but not at some of the silly rental prices proposed on HF.

Snow has shopped Okposo , whose 43 pts is tied for the team lead. No team has met Snow's demand of 1-2 young, quality, cost controlled assets. Imo it is because in a salary cap league, those quality, cost controlled youngsters have such high value.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Snow has shopped Okposo , whose 43 pts is tied for the team lead. No team has met Snow's demand of 1-2 young, quality, cost controlled assets. Imo it is because in a salary cap league, those quality, cost controlled youngsters have such high value.

You're gonna source that?

Passing speculation off as fact needs to stop.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Recently, or last year? 80% of me thinks it was simply a negotiating tactic, and he didn't bite on it even a little last year. I do remember Staple mentioning it though (Summer? Spring?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad