Salary Cap: The Hotdog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawski21

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh PA
I don't get the hate for Perron. James Neal only scored what 1 goal when he was traded over to the pens? After he got a full training camp and an offseason I'd say he turned out pretty damn good for us. Not saying Perron is gonna put up 40 but at least give the guy a chance with a full season. Outside of kessel, he is our most skilled winger. He could easily be a 50+ point guy on this roster if used properly.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Make a pool, you'll see that Perron isn't a hated man, only few people hate him. I know he's going to kill it next season, just wait few months and the haters will see how good my Frenchies are.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
RNH hit the nail on the head with Perron. If you put it on a tee then he can make it happen. My point with Sid exactly. When he plays with Sid and there's no LW you waste Sid to help Perron's stats. No dice.

He can't create his own shot. He's not fast. He's not solid defensively. And I can't stand that he thinks he's Billy The Kid the fastest hands in the East. Malkin will dangle you boy. Hit the road.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here other than that you don't like Perron.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Note with Perron that he only got injured in the last game against buffalo.

What if perron stinks even with extended top six time? That is my worry.

Honestly... I'm not all that worried about it. Statistically he's a 20 goal 50 point winger. However he's also insanely skilled to the point that he can dangle someone and he can make smart plays. However if it does happen? Look to move him. He's not a core piece. He's a nice piece and a talented player that should help this team... but if he's not helping, then you move him. Not the end of the world.

I will say it is slightly problematic having two slower and iffy defensive players in our top 6 in PH and Perron.

I'm not opposed to having Perron moved as part of a package for a better fit.

Perron should have more speed this year with being able to properly train this summer.

No, but it's pure stupidity to try and run him out of town in the beginning of ****ing July!

Not picking on you here, just picked your post cause I want to touch on this subject. As opposed to who? Kunitz, Dupuis, or plotnikov, or Bennett? Perron should be our 1lw, starting the season, if he fails then so be it. He's our most skilled option imo, and it's not even close. There's unknown variables that could happen, especially on that 2lw. But I'd give perron first crack to play on the top line. If it's hornqvist w/87 instead of Kessel, I think it's even more imperative that perron plays there. Because as much as I love horny let's be honest here ideally we don't want him carrying the puck through the neutral zone alot. At least perron can take some of that load off of 87.

Agreed completely. If we do not have Kessel, Perron or Bennett (if he somehow magically improves to a near top 6 level) on Hornqvists other wing, it's basically KCD all over again. Crosby and Malkin both need some actual skill on their line... and currently the only two top 6 wingers we have who have that skill is Perron and Kessel. Hornqvist, Kunitz, Plot, Dupuis and everyone else on this team (that we expect to make it) would all be a complementary player of one sort or another.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I honestly expect Kunitz to pot 15 this year in 2nd-3rd line TOI and some 2nd unit PP time, which isn't really awful for his cap hit.

He needs to play less, and he needs to play against worse players, and he'll look a lot better. But he cannot be pressed up in the lineup, I'd rather see Plots or Sundqvist play LW for Geno than Kunitz, and just go the net and draw defenders and cause confusion.

Not sure how you can say that today without having seen any of those three there lately. Kunitz should be a lot better than last year. I'm not saying he should be a lock for the top 6, but I think writing him off is premature at this point.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not sure how you can say that today without having seen any of those three there lately. Kunitz should be a lot better than last year. I'm not saying he should be a lock for the top 6, but I think writing him off is premature at this point.

I'm curious as to why you think Kunitz will be a lot better this year.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
You know, his underlying possession stays were pretty good. He had a positive impact on most players' ability to push the puck, including Crosby and Malkin.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kunitz play in the top six if he's healthy at the start of the year. He has a full offseason to train and get his body back into shape.

But Kunitz shouldn't be relied on as a 20 minute guy. At 16 minutes a game, on the second powerplay only as a net front guy, he could be effective.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Several reasons. First off, I think with him hopefully being able to figure out what sort of training is needed to maintain some of his speed. Rutherford addressed this early last season, and made a comment to the tune of "as a player ages they need to do different training then what they normally would do to keep their speed/conditioning". I'm not saying he's going to come back as he was 6 years ago... but he should (hopefully) be closer to what he was around the Olympics vs what he was most of last season.

Secondly there's this iron deficiency. We can all chalk him sucking last year to being old. I don't think that's the case. I think this was a major issue for him. If they can sort it out (you'd think they could), then he should be back closer to what we had 18 months ago. That version of Kunitz is still a top 6 player.

Lastly... even if he's somewhere in between. We now have the depth that he's no longer the best winger on whatever line he's on. That will allow the line to function better, still remove pressure from his center and allow Kunitz to be more of that 3rd option than the best guy there as he was in the past.

Now I'm not saying we're getting the guy from 6 years ago. But if we can get the version from 18 months ago, that's huge. That version is still a top 6 player, and really completes our top 6. Suddenly the options are endless - even just looking at Kunitz, Kessel, Perron and Hornqvist.

Anyway... do we get that version back? I'm not sure. But I believe we'll get something closer to that then the one we had in Nov this year.

Rob Rossi said:
By the end of December, Mike Johnston was worried.

“He came into my office and I said, ‘I'm not seeing the Chris Kunitz I know,'” Johnston said. “And Chris said, ‘To be honest, I don't think I've felt great since the Olympic break last year.'”

To be honest, I had barely recognized the Kunitz who came back from the Olympics. He looked slower. His hands seemed gone. Forget aggressive, there barely was a forecheck. And those “Kunikaze” hits were few and far between.

“Most people thought, ‘Oh, Chris Kunitz is getting old' or whatever,'” Johnston said of his 35-year-old winger.

“That wasn't it.”

Kunitz isn't old. He isn't injured. He isn't sick.

He has an iron deficiency.

And he's only just beginning to rediscover that familiar steely edge.

The condition, diagnosed by Penguins physicians in January, sapped him of energy. It also impacted everything from his offseason training to in-game recuperation required to keep up with a couple of superstar franchise centers.

http://triblive.com/sports/robrossi/7934307-74/kunitz-penguins-johnston#ixzz3fHOtE3aC

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm well aware of the iron deficiency story, I just don't believe it's why his level of play dropped. It seemed like a PR excuse at the time, and it still does.

He was "diagnosed" with the iron deficiency in January. As a professional athlete with multiple nutrionists and medical experts at his disposal, his iron levels should be balanced enough four months later that there would have been some noticeable improvement in his energy levels...there wasn't.

And if his energy was low because of a medical issue, why wouldn't the staff inform Johnston of such and then limit his minutes? There was no need for him to be playing 20 minutes a night and being on the first power play if he was supposedly weakened by an outside circumstance. Common sense would dictate that if it was truly such a problem, someone would step in and say that he physically couldn't play the amount he was.

He's been on a steady decline for years, so I'm not sure why that would suddenly stop. Maybe he started a new training program over the summer, but I haven't read anything to suggest that it was in his plans.

I think it's wishful thinking to conclude that he'll be better next year. That's not usually the case for 35 year olds. And even if he does get back to 18-months ago, I still don't think that's a player I want in my top-6.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm well aware of the iron deficiency story, I just don't believe it's why his level of play dropped. It seemed like a PR excuse at the time, and it still does.

He was "diagnosed" with the iron deficiency in January. As a professional athlete with multiple nutrionists and medical experts at his disposal, his iron levels should be balanced enough four months later that there would have been some noticeable improvement in his energy levels...there wasn't.

And if his energy was low because of a medical issue, why wouldn't the staff inform Johnston of such and then limit his minutes? There was no need for him to be playing 20 minutes a night and being on the first power play if he was supposedly weakened by an outside circumstance. Common sense would dictate that if it was truly such a problem, someone would step in and say that he physically couldn't play the amount he was.

He's been on a steady decline for years, so I'm not sure why that would suddenly stop. Maybe he started a new training program over the summer, but I haven't read anything to suggest that it was in his plans.

I think it's wishful thinking to conclude that he'll be better next year. That's not usually the case for 35 year olds. And even if he does get back to 18-months ago, I still don't think that's a player I want in my top-6.

I don't know.

The capacity of the medical staff associated with the Pens to completely **** up a diagnosis over a long period of time, years even, is not only well documented, but can not be underestimated.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I remember game 1 of 82 last year and I was so happy to have Kunitz back...literally...that was it...game 1 and feel back into the black hole of embarrassment

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

Why would the medical staff advise Johnston to limit his minutes?

There was absolutely no medical reason to restrict Kunitz's minutes with that diagnosis. Extra rest wasn't going to replete Kunitz's iron levels. Playing hockey wasn't going to make his iron deficiency worse.

The only people who were responsible for Kunitz's minutes and had authority and reason to restrict them are the coaching staff.

People seem to forget that in addition to the iron deficiency Kunitz had a foot injury that likely reduced his effectiveness as well. At younger ages, that type of injury and recovery likely doesn't effect a player's game and production. At 35, it does.

Changing Kunitz's offseason workout to something more appropriate for his age, recovery from his iron deficiency (which can be totally debilitating) and foot injury, familiarity with the new coach and systems, and coaching changes including reduced minutes, playing with Malkin or 3rd line vs keeping up with Crosby, altering the dependence on the LW break out (which was ineffective and easily defended anyway), and altering Johnston's offensive scheme (which is also completely ineffective and smothers offensive production) would go a long way in seeing a more effective (not necessarily more productive) Kunitz.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There was a game I went to last year, Sid and Geno both missed it. I was PISSED. David Perron proceeded to absolutely take the game over. He was the best player on the ice that night. Can't create his own shot? Guy was dancing, gliding on the ice like Malkin does. Dude has better mitts than any other winger not named Phil Kessel. 4th most skilled forward on the team. A (potentially) perfect linemate for Geno.

Jesus Christ people, what is with the unnecessary hate towards 39?? That he had a rib injury and prevented him from being the player he can be? His first 20 or so whatever games here he was everything we needed. But that's right, he is the reason we slumped down the stretch. Wasn't the fact that every single player completely **** the bed except for MAF. Perron is a pest, is skilled. He's never going to lay anyone out but he's physical. What am I missing?? Am I watching a completely different game??

I don't get it.

I'm quoting this again because I can't find that game (bolded portion, obviously). March 14th?

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Pensburgh said:
I'd recommend the team look at taking a chance on Stephen Weiss, a recent buyout by the Detroit Red Wings. Prior to going to Detroit, Weiss was a regular in Florida on the penalty-kill.

According to War-on-Ice, in a year viewed negatively, Weiss was able to post a 53.44 Corsi For per 60 during Even-strength 5on5 while his on-ice competition had a 54.2 Corsi For per 60.

Weiss can be a good player in Pittsburgh with his skill set and taking a one year deal to reset his market value wouldn't be the worst thing for him.
http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/7/8/8910897/center-of-opportunity

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Pretty much my thinking at this point in time as well. I'd also accept Slater or Lapierre as the 4th line C on the cheap, but I think Goc fits just as well.

Also liking that depth and balance down the lineup. I would be ok with Sundqvist starting out in the AHL if it came down to that. Maybe him vs Wilson, Rust for the last spot.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Dupuis - signing - young AHL'er

If Plotnikov/Kunitz end up switching, it's not really the end of the world this board will make it out to be. Malkin and Kessel is more firepower than 98% of the lines in this league.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Also liking that depth and balance down the lineup. I would be ok with Sundqvist starting out in the AHL if it came down to that. Maybe him vs Wilson, Rust for the last spot.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Dupuis - signing - young AHL'er

If Plotnikov/Kunitz end up switching, it's not really the end of the world this board will make it out to be. Malkin and Kessel is more firepower than 98% of the lines in this league.

I'd be OK with that. If they see Sundqvist's future in the NHL then getting some AHL games at centre wouldn't be the worse thing for his development.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Pens don't really have the cap space for a 22 man roster with a signing over $1M.

Perron (3.812) - Crosby (8.7) - Hornqvist (4.25)
Kunitz (3.85) - Malkin (9.5) - Kessel (6.8)
Dupuis (3.75) - Sutter (3.3) - Bennett (0.945)
Plotnikov (0.925) - XXX - Sundqvist (0.667)
Rust (0.665)

Maatta (0.894) - Letang (7.25)
Pouliot (1.288) - Lovejoy (1.1)
Scuderi (3.375) - Cole (2.1)
Dumoulin (0.945)

Fleury (5.75)
Zatkoff (0.6)

With 12 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies, the Pens have 934K left in cap space assuming Bennett and Dumoulin are signed to their qualifying offers and a cap of $71.4M. Some cap space could be made depending on which young players are up; Pouliot, Sundqvist, and Rust are still waiver exempt.

Any signing for a 4C would need to be around 900K or under, and it would leave the Pens with no cap cushion.

There are similar cap limitations if Rutherford wants to upgrade the back-up goalie position.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad