The HOHHOF : Registration and Procedure

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Indeed. I don't think the vast majority will move for a Paul Henderson induction.

However, an international committee may be a good idea, because they aren't the most well-known players by a long shot; probably better known than pre-consolidation guys, but still not so known and on the underappreciated side still.

I'm all for having a committee to round up names. This said, I'd really prefer them to be up for voting at the same time than north american players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I guess it may be apt to set up a procedure and just run with it and see what happens. No need to have much ambitions for it. Just set it up and run with it. I'll shut my mouth and do the seventieslord thing and just participate in discussions and voting.

Don't worry. I want to finish that part as soon as possible.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Paul Henderson goes in for one play?

yeah right

He won't. I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even break 20% of the vote, let alone actually get in with 80%. I recognize quite a few of the participants here from All-Time Drafts and there is absolutely no way that Henderson would get enough votes to get in.

sounds like anyone who wore a leaf or hab jersey will get serous consideration

With this pool of voters, I expect our fantasy Hall to be better than the real Hall in that regards (cough, Dick Duff, cough).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Overview for the Early Era -- DRAFT

1 - The first step will be to establish the Early Era Committee. That group will mainly determine a whole bunch of players (there NEED to be over 40 players) that could be LIKELY to obtain AT LEAST one vote. Some guys volunteered for the Early Era Committee. For those who did, how much time would you like to have in order to come up with a list of potential candidates?

2 - That committee will cover the players who spent the bulk of their career prior to the merger of the NHL and the WCHL. Now, some guys got their careers "split", which may cause problem. It will be up to the members of the committee to decide if a player is up for voting in the Early Era group or not. I really suggest to avoid any possible player that peaked in Europe prior to 1927.

3 - The results of stage 2 will be published on a separate thread.

4 - Then... the discussions and the vote. Each voter will have 4 "YES" votes at his disposal. Votes will have to be sent by e-mail at the adress given earlier. I won't the only one to have access to the account.

5 - The results of stage 5 will be published.

6 - Repeat stage 4 during 9 other rounds.

7 - There will be no BALLOT CLEANING during the Early Era period of voting.

8 - A voter CAN can cast a write-in vote. (I suggest this for the whole process, and not only the Early Era. That means that a guy that didn't made it in the Early Era COULD be a write-in vote later).

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
He won't. I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't even break 20% of the vote, let alone actually get in with 80%. I recognize quite a few of the participants here from All-Time Drafts and there is absolutely no way that Henderson would get enough votes to get in.

With this pool of voters, I expect our fantasy Hall to be better than the real Hall in that regards (cough, Dick Duff, cough).

On both counts, I sure hope that you are right.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll be gone for the weekend with very little access to a computer.

We're now 40 voters, which could be enough. I still expect some replies though, so the registration process isn't closed. Just don't expect any timely replies.

Meanwhile, the ones that were interested in joining the Early Era Committee can create a thread to start discussing of something else than procedure.

When they'll have come up with a sizeable amount of players (over 40... ), then we could start the voting rounds. We still have some procedure aspects to iron out, but it doesn't mean we cannot start with this preliminary stage.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'll be gone for the weekend with very little access to a computer.

We're now 40 voters, which could be enough.
Let's take the weekend to recruit via PM those posters we know are knowledgeable. Sometimes a poster goes away for a week or two. It would be a shame to have some show up disappointed they didn't join.

pnep and BM67, are they socks for posters already in this thing? what about some european posters like peter25.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Let's take the weekend to recruit via PM those posters we know are knowledgeable. Sometimes a poster goes away for a week or two. It would be a shame to have some show up disappointed they didn't join.

pnep and BM67, are they socks for posters already in this thing? what about some european posters like peter25.

PM has been sent to pnep and BM for sure.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
How about McPhee and Trottier? Although I'm not sure that Trottier would be interested in this sort of thing. Both, over the time I've been posting on HF, have been huge assets for me learning more about this history of the game.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

We need more pappyline and GBC. They'd be huge assets when it comes to the Original 6 period.

Also some more European posters like Triffy and Zine.

Have we decided whether or not to do a subcommittee for players who peaked in Europe?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I've been away for a little while, but you guys know I'm in for sure. This is going to be a very interesting project to say the least.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I'm interested. Sign me up.

Email already sent to [email protected]

One suggestion I'd throw out there: It could be interesting if the directors put together a simple questionnaire for voters - something along the lines of age, nationality, year they started following NHL, some subjective self rating of HoH knowledge, anything else interesting or useful. I'm not proposing this as any form of vetting, but rather that a summary of the aggregate of responses could provide some insight into the profile of the voting population.

Last edited:

Derick*

I think there should be a serious filtering process.

I think we should do this well and elaborately or not at all. Or else it'll just be another poll.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Are you sure you want to get someone who probably thinks that Boris Mikhailov was a greater player than Gordie Howe? (that's the impression I have of the poster, anyway). I'm not knocking his knowledge, but...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm in too if there is still room.

There is.

We need more pappyline and GBC. They'd be huge assets when it comes to the Original 6 period.

Also some more European posters like Triffy and Zine.

Have we decided whether or not to do a subcommittee for players who peaked in Europe?

Indeed, but we can't wait indefinitely either. Pappyline joined. I sent a PM to GBC. I'dreally like to get Triffy and Zine here. -- Or actually, just some european posters.

But after this, it will probably be enough.

I'm interested. Sign me up.

Email already sent to [email protected]

One suggestion I'd throw out there: It could be interesting if the directors put together a simple questionnaire for voters - something along the lines of age, nationality, year they started following NHL, some subjective self rating of HoH knowledge, anything else interesting or useful. I'm not proposing this as any form of vetting, but rather that a summary of the aggregate of responses could provide some insight into the profile of the voting population.

Didn't reply because it don't have access to the e-mail account now (password thing, no problem).

As for the questionnaire, I sent one to a few "users", if I didn't know them at all. Still, aside from the number of posts on the HOH board (and in the ATD), I don't know what makes me inherently more qualified than anybody.

Are you sure you want to get someone who probably thinks that Boris Mikhailov was a greater player than Gordie Howe? (that's the impression I have of the poster, anyway). I'm not knocking his knowledge, but...

Both should be locks anyways... :|

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
Sounds like a fun project but I don't have enough time to commit to this as much I would want to, so I won't be voting, but I'll definitely be reading this and might give a comment or two if I feel like I have something valuable to share.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Both should be locks anyways... :|

Heh, Gordie Howe a lock, what???!

I hope you're right about Mikhailov. I mean, I would certainly let him in, and he seems to be fairly appreciated here (maybe even too much so compared to some other Russians and/or Czechs?), but I'm still not so certain he would get the necessary votes. I'd love that to happen - also because then one could certainly make cases for players like Petrov, Martinec and Firsov, whose accomplishments are almost/just as/even more impressive than his (in Martinec's case, though, only partly). But now I'm getting ahead of myself...

Annywwayy, the point was that from what I've seen, the poster in question is heavily biased, and while I'm leaning towards European hockey too, I promise to keep my bias 'under control', so to speak. IF I've been wrong about the poster, however, my apologies.

Last edited:

steve141

Aug 13, 2009
I'll commit too.

I hope to have time during the project to:

1) Learn more about 20s-40s era players
2) Dig up information on 50s-80s era Swedish players

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Sounds like a fun project but I don't have enough time to commit to this as much I would want to, so I won't be voting, but I'll definitely be reading this and might give a comment or two if I feel like I have something valuable to share.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Been travelling for the past month or so, and likely won't be back before Christmas, so very little HF time. Will be really interested to see how it shakes down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad