The HOHHOF : Registration and Procedure

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A few days ago, Mahovlich came up with the idea of "recreating" the HHOF in a way that we, members of the HOH, would thought a little more fit. However, Mahovlich had to leave the Boards for whatever reason.

There will be many stages in the process : we're still working out the details regarding the procedure. As of now, it appears that we will work with a chronological approach, starting from 1945 (or before), with a separate committee working out on the earlier of the game. The exact procedure is still to be determined however, we need to start rounding up some people who are interested to participate in the project. Many volunteers themselves in the earlier thread, but it became somewhat tough to keep track of everyone.

First step -- Say (again) that you're interested
Second step -- Send an e-mail to [email protected]. Don't forget to mention your hfboards nickname.

I volunteered to co-run this. Ideally, we would have to be AT LEAST 3 "co-directors", just to make sure everybody "running" the project can actually cast an objective, impartial vote.

What remains to be done (this list is a work in progress)

- Find two other persons to "run" this (so I can vote :sarcasm:) -- DJ MAN agreed to help. Need another "trustee" (and, being 3, we're able to vote)

- Agreeing on the first voting year (likely 1940)

- Coming up with an method to cover the years earlier to that date. Hockey Outsider had a pretty interesting idea here : http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=28971713&postcount=242. -- DONE

- Voting procedure, for both the earlier round and process starting in 1940.

- Reaching a consensus in regards to disclosure.

RULES (WIP)

1 : Every player is eligible, as long as that players meets the eventual retiring + eventual waiting time requirement. There will be no free passes. We all have our biases - as long as we temper them. Everybody has their own way to perceive things, and that's perfectly fine. Submitting your points of view politely is a must. None of have been GM's or coaches of the candidates, but it doesn't mean we can't have our favorites. The prior Top-100 list shouldn't be regarded as a "Bible", either.

2. This said, it is a Hall of Fame - which means it's mainly about, well, fame. Player A might be better than Player B, but Player B might be worthy of an induction as well. Everybody has its own criteria -- if you think Rory Fitzpatrick is worthy, fine. This said, you'll likely be alone. No player is uneligible due to infamy -- but if you want to keep a guy out because of this, it's okay.

3 : The voting will be done, roughly, every 10 days, with some possible breaks during holidays.

4 : There might be partial or total disclosure at the end. This is something we'll have to agree on.

Note : Italics means that you have to send a e-mail. Bold means you sent an e-mail but haven't said that you're in yet on this thread.

UPDATE : 44 people have shown an interest so far (with a few that I send PM's to and that I'm expecting answers - Arrbez, pappyline, amongst others). 40 or 45 will be an ideal number (works well with 80%).

REGISTERED

MXD
dreakmur
seventieslord
kaiser matias
leafs forever
TheDevilMadeMe
Mahovlich
Hedberg
VanIslander
MS
Anton Carter
JonnyD
jkrx
Vector
Cognition
andreydali19
finchster
lextune
tony d
kyle mcmahon
John Flyers Fan
overpass
Hockey Outsider
Wetzex
Puckguy11
Hardyvan123
jumptheshark
darkshadows
Prophecy35
reckoning
Laef Lnader
Peter9
VMBM
Form and Substance
Starchild74
RabbinsDuck
MadArcand
pappyline
kdb209
dgill
EagleBelfour
Canadiens1958
ushvinder
JFC87-66-99
jungosi

Helping out : DJ Man

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Assuming we can find some more co-directors (at least 2 more), I suppose I'm up for co-directing. Can collect and tally votes and getting this thing off it's feet.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm also interested in being on the Early Era Committee as long as "early era" does not mean NHL. This is not going to be an NHL hof is it? By early era I assume is meant pre-consolidation professional leagues (NHA/PCHA/WHL/etc) and amateur cup challenge, 1890s to mid-1920s.

If 1930s NHLers are going to be part of the early era committee work then I'm not as interested because I know very well that a lot of 1930s NHLers are valued a lot more around here than earlier pre-NHL hockey greats.

If it's a history of hockey hof and not a nhlhof with a few token others thrown in, then have a pre-NHL committee. (plus hockey outsider suggested an International Hockey Committee to focus on soviets, czechs and the like, international greats who never played in the nhl - this is a great idea, and there are several knowledgeable posters at hfboards who reside in and know european hockey history well)

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I'm not personally interested in joining (Engineering Physics workload) but it seems to me that you should have some sort of filtering process for registering members. Seems like the voting would be tainted if registration was completely open.

If you already have a system in place then disregard this.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I'm not personally interested in joining (Engineering Physics workload) but it seems to me that you should have some sort of filtering process for registering members. Seems like the voting would be tainted if registration was completely open.

There isn't and it's a valid point that has been raised.

I'm not sure how to go about it. We don't want to be too exclusive or anything and let people open to come in, and yet I think we need people who are committed/already have a good knowledge of hockey history/have a willingness to learn and potentially change their views.

Perhaps a questionare of sorts?

I'm also interested in being on the Early Era Committee as long as "early era" does not mean NHL. This is not going to be an NHL hof is it? By early era I assume is meant pre-consolidation professional leagues (NHA/PCHA/WHL/etc) and amateur cup challenge, 1890s to mid-1920s.

Though I can get the personal preference reasons, but why exlude the NHL up until consolidation in 1927? It's in the same class as those leagues up until that time and is a part of the era. Is it just because we know a lot more about it and have more detailed and more publically available stats and information for it?

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Definitely worth considering. I mean, if you need 80% of available votes to induct someone, we need tomake sure that all the voters are on the same page as to the goals of the project and the knowledge required to participate

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad