The Hockey News Future Watch 2024

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It’s that time of year again. My copy arrived this afternoon.

The “Top 100” is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they are projected to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

I can’t post the full list due to copyright and site rules, but I can post the top 15 for discussion purposes..

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It’s that time of year again. My copy arrived this afternoon.

The “Top 100” is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they are projected to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

I can’t post the full list due to copyright and site rules, but I can post the top 15 for discussion purposes..

1. Matvei Michkov
2. Cutter Gauthier
3. Will Smith
4. Simon Edvinsson
5. Brandt Clarke
6. Juri Kulich
7. Jimmy Snuggerud
8. Yaroslav Askarov
9. Ryan Leonard
10. Dalibor Dvorsky
11. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
12. Gabe Perreault
13. David Reinbacher
14. Shane Wright
15. Axel Sandin-Pellikka
It's a pretty good list but there is a huge omission in not having Alexander Nikishin on the list. Quite frankly he should probably be number 2 on the list behind Michkov.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It's a pretty good list but there is a huge omission in not having Alexander Nikishin on the list. Quite frankly he should probably be number 2 on the list behind Michkov.
Nikishin will be a 2nd pairing defenseman in NHL. Does it warrant a 2nd place?

Askarov is overrated

I would put Yurov in TOP 15 though, he is in the same tier as Lekkerimaki for example

• Haha
Reactions: Remparts666

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yurov putting up historic numbers on a good KHL team should put him inside the Top 10 but I’m biased so who knows

Reactions: majormajor

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yurov putting up historic numbers on a good KHL team should put him inside the Top 10 but I’m biased so who knows
He should be in TOP 15, but this historic talk is overratee trivia

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone know how to get a digital issue? Used zinio last year, it’s not available there (yet?).

Zinio tends to be a week+ behind the subscribers who get the hard copy (probably as an incentive to subscribe). The Hockey News has its own version on its website with the digital subscription but that hasn't been updated yet either.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
How do you figure Nikishin will be a second pairing guy?
Well, I see it that way. He is a good talent, but Russia and KHL have horrible track record when it comes to 1D in NHL. And with Nikishin, it is still the same issue, he can play good offensive defenseman and a good defensive defenseman, but not both

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thrilled to see Kulich so high but no jiricek? Washer not eligible due to games played?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Still waiting for the digital version to be released. In the mean time, THN editor Brian Costello usually mentions rankings for prospects either traded or perhaps rumored to be dealt:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Woah. Love seeing Snuggerud and Dvorsky so high

Wasn't the knock on Dvorsky going into the draft his skating?

Seems he might've gone higher if that wasn't a concern. I don't say that as a knock as much as to highlight how good he could be if he either fixes it or proves it to be a false concern.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
BC is even stronger than UMN last year. Guessing they won't choke it away but we'll see.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They're advertising that the issue is for sale on their site, but still haven't seen a digital version uploaded. In the mean time, some bread crumbs:

Brayden Yager is #26. Nadeau/Morrow/Trikozov in the top 100.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad