The Hockey is Back/CBA Talk Thread

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Old lockout thread passed 1000. Thought a new title might be in order.

Continue here

A few posts from the lockout thread.

Because coming here benefits the league and makes them and/or the players money?

Anyone who posts on these boards who thinks they are not going to watch NHL hockey is just kidding themselves

Exactly, even if they "try hard" to avoid it, one quiet mid-week evening a game will be on, they will happen across it, and complain about a Principe Pun, and they are back.

No punishment that I know of. However the percentages wouldn't remain the same since team out of the bottom 5 could win it and move up to 1st. the 49% or whatever it was for the last place team to retain the 1st overall pick included their of winning the lottery plus all the odd of teams that finished 6-14th since they could opnly move up 4 spots and thus the last place team would retain the 1st overall pick.

So now the team that finishes dead last will have a 30% chance(or whatever it is) to win the lottery and pick 1st overall.

Has one person in the thread said they won't be watching NHL hockey?

I've stated I'll be watching less of it and far less of the games not including the Oilers. Which has become less and less of a habit for me.

Watching playoffs used to be a given. Now its hit or miss depending on the weather outside. Getting out in the weather will be a whole lot better then sitting in front of the tube in May and June I'll tell you that.

Oh so you're an expert.

I made the Just Drop It pledge, but I don't have cable, live in canmore, and am buying gamecenter live.. Same money no matter when I do it.

My view has changed a bit too. Local businesses, especially bars were hurt by this too, and I think if anything I'll go out to watch games.. That's where I feel I should put my money if I'm to support anyone now.

Agreed! Unless the Oilers are in it, to win it. :sarcasm:

If you are posting on a forum on the net about hockey with other fanatics that makes you a fanatic. Sorry but you are going to watch and you can't control yourself just like the rest of us

not just that, were talking about a group of guys who come here 3-4 days out of the week to talk hockey when there hasnt been oiler hockey in nearly 9 months and no NHL hockey in 7 months. If you are here you are either a hockey addict or a troll.

I agree.
for me, I don't have a boycott of hockey. it's just not a priority. I won't give the Oilers/NHL my money. that's my "boycott"
I will watch some hockey if I'm in a pub having a drink with some friends, and I will watch a few minutes or flip to the score if I am at home and the tv is on.
I just don't care enough to make the NHL a priority.

Same with the playoffs. If the Oilers are not playing, I don't watch. June isn't hockey season.
doesn't mean I don't hope the oilers do well individually and as a team. doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with my coming here when I have time to catch up on what's going on and keeping abreast of things. I am still an Oiler fan.
I can pop on here on coffee breaks, lunch, a few minutes before bed, etc. and it doesn't make me a hypocrite for being disgusted with how the team has been run or with the lockouts. some of you may think so, but we all have our opinions.

you don't have to be a fanatic to come to HFboards, people who have transitioned over the years to being casual fans come here too.
it's a really good hockey site and a few minutes here is better for me than spending hours trolling all over the web.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone know what the breakdown is in the NBA for free agents length? Seems that only having a one year difference is going to mean nothing and not kickstart the whole sign and trade option.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I have no clue why some people think they're entitled to be entertained by NHL hockey. I find the whole "let's teach them who really runs their show" boycott chest-thumping that is fully a quarter of my Facebook feed this morning to be pretty silly. So it took them a while to make a deal. Sucks, but that's business. As my brother-in-law pointed out just last night, he's brokered commercial real estate deals worth about a thousandth as much that have taken even longer to iron out. Now that the league and players have worked it out and the games are back on, I couldn't be happier. I'm certainly not about to deprive myself of the game I love to somehow teach them a lesson that they can't deprive me of the game I love.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Couple responses to some of the posts in the last thread:

Reimer;
I was insinuating that by boycotting the league you wouldn't be watching. The whole point of this board is hockey discussion so I'm not sure why you would refuse to watch the league but come here to talk about it. If you want to boycott the league and stick to the Oil Kings thread, giver.

IATL;
with regards to there being no EC teams coming out this year... I read a tweet or three that implied each Canadian team would still play each other once. So if that is the case, we'd potentially see one or two

Replacement;
You really like to pick on Columbus, but I'm wondering if you have a twitter presence. If you do, you should follow Portzline, who is the Jackets beat writer and is one of the better media follows out there. He has quite a bit of interaction with Jackets fans, so they are out there, and if it wasn't for bungled decisions from their bonehead GM's they would still have a great following. I actually think the Jackets will be a better team this year, they have a bunch of good young talent and one of their kids is right up there in the AHL scoring race.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I have no clue why some people think they're entitled to be entertained by NHL hockey. I find the whole "let's teach them who really runs their show" boycott chest-thumping that is fully a quarter of my Facebook feed this morning to be pretty silly. So it took them a while to make a deal. Sucks, but that's business. As my brother-in-law pointed out just last night, he's brokered commercial real estate deals worth about a thousandth as much that have taken even longer to iron out. Now that the league and players have worked it out and the games are back on, I couldn't be happier. I'm certainly not about to deprive myself of the game I love to somehow teach them a lesson that they can't deprive me of the game I love.

I agree. But they know that the Canadian hockey fans, and the hardcore American hockey fans will return. It remains to be seen if the casual hockey fan in Dallas, Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, Miami (Sunrise), or Tampa will come back. In time, maybe, but the game will suffer in those markets in the mean time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree. But they know that the Canadian hockey fans, and the hardcore American hockey fans will return. It remains to be seen if the casual hockey fan in Dallas, Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, Miami (Sunrise), or Tampa will come back. In time, maybe, but the game will suffer in those markets in the mean time.

Question I came up with yesterday.

Do the people in Phoenix even realize that the season is going to start 3 months late?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Question I came up with yesterday.

Do the people in Phoenix even realize that the season is going to start 3 months late?

Whatever momentum they had from their run last year is dead. There are a lot of Glendale citizens that are upset with the city and the NHL for a deal that may very well bankrupt their city as well. It's going to be tough going in Phoenix for Jamison and crew.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010

Oh, for sure. I totally agree that the lockout has hurt the business. A lot of folks (primarily Americans) will have lost their already weak interest in hockey during its absence these past 9 months. That's a big problem. But I think that's a different issue from hardcore fans feeling like they've somehow been done wrong by the lockout and masochistically taking it out on themselves by not watching games.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Oh, for sure. I totally agree that the lockout has hurt the business. A lot of folks (primarily Americans) will have lost their already weak interest in hockey during its absence these past 9 months. That's a big problem. But I think that's a different issue from hardcore fans feeling like they've somehow been done wrong by the lockout and masochistically taking it out on themselves by not watching games.

That is a problem, and it's a problem that a simple "Thank you fans!" on the ice can't fix. Make no mistake, the NHL and the NHLPA owe us as fans. Whether it's cheaper tickets, free/discounted Centre Ice for the rest of the year, or whatever the NHL comes up with, it's going have to be good. "Thank you fans!" just seems like a cop-out to me because what are they thanking us for? Thanking us for the money we're giving to them that they so sorely need after being deprived of it for 113 days?

It was a painful lockout that hurt a lot of people. I would argue that this lockout, even though we'll have an abbreviated season, will be felt more than the last. I don't feel sorry for the NHL.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
All the money I give the Oilers each year goes to replaces some of the sticks broken during morning skates in the 2nd month of the season. I haven't helped pay for player salaries in years.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
That is a problem, and it's a problem that a simple "Thank you fans!" on the ice can't fix. Make no mistake, the NHL and the NHLPA owe us as fans. Whether it's cheaper tickets, free/discounted Centre Ice for the rest of the year, or whatever the NHL comes up with, it's going have to be good. "Thank you fans!" just seems like a cop-out to me because what are they thanking us for? Thanking us for the money we're giving to them that they so sorely need after being deprived of it for 113 days?

It was a painful lockout that hurt a lot of people. I would argue that this lockout, even though we'll have an abbreviated season, will be felt more than the last. I don't feel sorry for the NHL.

If Center Ice isn't half price this year, I'm gonna burn this mother down.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The most important thing for me is that there will be no draft lottery. I can go a year without the NHL. I can watch the AHL WHL OHL or QMJHL even SEL and KHL. I know that for the most part our young guys are playing and improving. The biggest struggle for me during the lockout was the idea that if the Oilers dont play, while I won't have to endure a losing season, they will not (likely) draft high. If they play and play poorly they will get a high pick. If by chance they start playing well and end up drafting lower, I can appreciate that but at least let me watch them win.

As a fan of both Edmonton and Toronto, let me tell you it really sucks to have a bad team and not get that consolation prize.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Good luck getting anything. Did you get a break on your cable package because of the writers strike a few years back? NBA give anything substantial back to their fans? Other than Lebron winning a title?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
If Center Ice isn't half price this year, I'm gonna burn this mother down.

I read an article and the writers opinion was that free Centre Ice is a pipe dream as the NHL has little control over it, it is owned by a group called inDemand or something

NHL game centre live, however, could be a possibility

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I read an article and the writers opinion was that free Centre Ice is a pipe dream as the NHL has little control over it, it is owned by a group called inDemand or something

NHL game centre live, however, could be a possibility

I never said free. I said half price (or whatever percent 48/82 is .. like 58%). They can't charge the same for a 48-game schedule as for an 82-game schedule. They need to prorate it, or fans will justifiably be pissed.

Edit: Here's what Telus has to say about Center Ice pricing:

Due to the current work stoppage uncertainty we want to make our customers aware of our plans regarding NHL Centre Ice. We will credit current NHL Centre Ice subscribers for any cancelled regular season NHL games. Also, we won't charge new subscribers until the season starts, with payments reduced for any regular season NHL games that are cancelled. Check here often for updates.

Seems pretty clear. (Not that I won't go over my bill closely when it arrives. ;) )

Last edited:

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That is a problem, and it's a problem that a simple "Thank you fans!" on the ice can't fix. Make no mistake, the NHL and the NHLPA owe us as fans.

Bwahaha, entitlement.

The NHL owes you nothing. You don't like how the NHL or the PA does their business? Then don't watch. Simple as that. Whining that you're owed something is ridiculous.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Under the new CBA, teams can retain salary/cap hit in a trade. Conditions to follow. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Teams can retain salary/cap hit for up to three SPCs, to a maximum aggregate cap hit of 15 per cent of upper limit. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Up to 50% of SPC can be retained in trade. An SPC can be traded twice with salary/cap hit retained. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
That’s about $9.6M in cap money teams can retain in trades, under a $64.3M upper limit. #NHL

Am I the only one that missed this?

Last edited:

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
https://twitter.com/brianlawton9

Lawton is tweeting a bunch of interesting details, including:

- "Big change with regard to players that have clubs file for salary award are still eligible for an offer sheet. Call this the abolishment of the summer with Weber and Parise who were boxed out of a group 2 offer by clubs filing for arb "

- "Performance bonus cushion of 7.5% will remain but it will no longer be counted to help clubs get to the floor or minimum salary! "

- "Waiver period is going to make a minor change to 24 hrs any day of the week including Sunday. This has a history of being a problem for club "

- "Interesting details in this CBA that have not been elaborated on fully ...clubs can trade 50% of up to 3 contracts, not to exceed 15% of the max salary cap limit. This will get the math geeks working overtime. Use Van as and example and come up with some scenarios!!!

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Some new details emerging from the CBA
UFA will now have an interview period with teams before july 1st. After the draft up until june 30 players get to meet with teams. This should mean more big UFAs sign on July 1st because they should have met with teams and made a decision by june 30th

Retaining salary in trades
This one is a bit confusing *to me. What i understood was teams can now retain up to 50% of a players salary/cap hit when trading him as a result the team on the otherside doesn't get as bad a contract, if that makes any sense. So. For example its like the Oilers trading Horcoff but keeping half of his salary and cap hit so the team getting him gets a reasonable contract with him and in this scenario we can get something back for him. Its supposed to help facilitate more trades.

Compliance buyouts
This is directly taken from the article*
"Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other. The new detail here that I found interesting is that any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing."

There is also something in there about a Luongo rule and player pensions that i'm not going to get into but definitely a good read.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21219/trades-cheat-deals-and-more-cba-details

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Under the new CBA, teams can retain salary/cap hit in a trade. Conditions to follow. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Teams can retain salary/cap hit for up to three SPCs, to a maximum aggregate cap hit of 15 per cent of upper limit. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Up to 50% of SPC can be retained in trade. An SPC can be traded twice with salary/cap hit retained. #NHL

CapGeek ‏@capgeek
That’s about $9.6M in cap money teams can retain in trades, under a $64.3M upper limit. #NHL

Am I the only one that missed this?

Woah, I definitely didn't hear about this either.

Definitely an interesting twist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad