Player Discussion The Henrik & Daniel Sedin Discussion - Part IV | Encore for 2019?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Potvin apologized eh?

what a peanut-butter-sucking lowlife.

Last edited by a moderator:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The Capitals' beat guy over at the Washinton Post giving the Sedins some love.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-henrik-sedin-the-nhls-forgotten-superstars/

Good read. It's pretty remarkable they were able to continue being scoring threats despite having every type of winger. The only bad year they had was with Torts, but even then, Torts loved the Sedins a lot.

Honestly, I think every coach in the league would love them on the team. But it's one of those things where you hate them if they're not. It's hard to get the Sedins off their game. Thornton with his hand in their face, Marchand speed-punch, Bolland trash-talking, I mean maybe Bolland was the most effective agitator, but at the end of the day, Sedins keep scoring.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Bolland during the 2010 playoffs would run his stick down the back of Daniel's leg whenever no one was looking where the shinpads offer little protection in the calf-area. Which really ****ing stings because of slivers.

That lead to Daniel flipping out on him in game 4.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Jan 5th, 2016.

1. Kane - 57
2. Benn - 52
3. Seguin - 50
4. Karlsson - 42
5. Hall - 41
6. Tarasenko - 41
7. Wheeler - 40
8. Gaudreau - 39
9. Pavelski - 38
10. D. Sedin - 38
-
19. H. Sedin - 34

All-time Points list:

90. Larry Robinson 958
91. Rick Tecchet - 952
92. Henrik Sedin - 949
93. Chris Chelios - 948
94. Jason Arnott - 938
95. Steve Thomas - 933
96. Vincent Lecavalier - 932
97. Alex Ovechkin - 929
98. Neal Broten - 923
99. Daniel Sedin - 919
100. Shane Doan - 919

What else...

Henrik is only 10 games behind Trevor for all-time Games Played in Canucks history, Daniel is 39 behind. (Burrows 44 behind Ohlund for 7th)

Daniel is only 2 goals behind Markus for all-time Goals in Canucks history, Henrik is only 30 behind Tony Tanti for 6th (and Burrows only 2 behind Kesler for 11th

Jan 14th, 2016.

1. Kane - 63
2. Benn - 53
3. Seguin - 51
4. Karlsson - 45
5. Tarasenko - 44
6. Pavelski - 43
7. Gaudreau - 43
8. Wheeler - 41
9. Wheeler - 41
10. Hall - 41
-
12. D. Sedin - 40
-
24. H. Sedin - 36

All-time Points list:

90. Larry Robinson 958
91. Rick Tecchet - 952
92. Henrik Sedin - 951
93. Chris Chelios - 948
94. Jason Arnott - 938
95. Alex Ovechkin - 934
96. Vincent Lecavalier - 933

97. Steve Thomas - 933
98. Neal Broten - 923
99. Daniel Sedin - 921
100. Shane Doan - 919

What else...

Henrik is only 7 games behind Trevor for all-time Games Played in Canucks history, Daniel is 36 behind. (Burrows 41 behind Ohlund for 7th)

Daniel is only 2 goals behind Markus for all-time Goals in Canucks history, DANIEL SEDIN HAS TIED MARKUS NASLUND FOR MOST GOALS IN CANUCKS HISTORY. Henrik is only 30 behind Tony Tanti for 6th (and Burrows only 2 behind Kesler for 11th

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Just thinking out loud, but what if the twins don't plan on retiring after their deal is up and sign 1yr 3-4-5 million dollar contracts? They will decline over the years but by how much since they are still top end NHLers.

If we get a high pick this year and on top of that continued growth from our prospects this team could really benefit from them playing second/third line minutes. Thoughts?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just thinking out loud, but what if the twins don't plan on retiring after their deal is up and sign 1yr 3-4-5 million dollar contracts? They will decline over the years but by how much since they are still top end NHLers.

If we get a high pick this year and on top of that continued growth from our prospects this team could really benefit from them playing second/third line minutes. Thoughts?

Ideally, we have the twins as 55 point second liners in two years, with Horvat Virtanen and Patrik Laine running the show on the top unit. :naughty:

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Ideally, we have the twins as 55 point second liners in two years, with Horvat Virtanen and Patrik Laine running the show on the top unit. :naughty:

Baertschi-Horvat-Laine
Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen
Sedin-Sedin-Boeser

I know I know lineups never look like what you expect years down the road, but I quite sorta like this set of 9. Wishful thinking to get Laine but if we do ohhhhhhhh man.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Baertschi-Horvat-Laine
Shinkaruk-McCann-Virtanen
Sedin-Sedin-Boeser

I know I know lineups never look like what you expect years down the road, but I quite sorta like this set of 9. Wishful thinking to get Laine but if we do ohhhhhhhh man.

It's orgasmic. I was thinking more Virtanen - Horvat - Laine, Sedin - Sedin - Boeser, and then BAertschi - McCann - Hansen.

But yeah, it's potentially a sick top 9 in the organization if some things go our way in the very near future.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
What a fantastic article. Don't think I've ever seen an article use advanced stats in such an eloquent way in any Vancouver newspaper, ever.

And agreed 100%, of course.

That is because the Vancouver media is comprised of halfwits who specialize in tabloid journalism.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
What a fantastic article. Don't think I've ever seen an article use advanced stats in such an eloquent way in any Vancouver newspaper, ever.

And agreed 100%, of course.
Yup, fantastic read and good to see the Sedins finally get some respect. Despite finishing top 10 in points last year TSN ranked Henrik Sedin 50th in their player ranking and Daniel didn't even make the list, absolute ********.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
That is because the Vancouver media is comprised of halfwits who specialize in tabloid journalism.

Agreed. Most of them would be better off writing for TMZ than as sports writers. They care so very little about the game itself, it's astounding. This city deserves better.

The Sedins are a joy to watch, and show little sign of slowing down, even though everyone predicts every year, that this is going to be the year that they suddenly get old.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The Capitals' beat guy over at the Washinton Post giving the Sedins some love.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-henrik-sedin-the-nhls-forgotten-superstars/

“You always have to look for someone to complement them,” Desjardins said. “As good as they are you need three guys to make a line. You need a guy that goes to the net, gets in on the forecheck and gives them a little speed to back the defense off.”

So literally Dorsett is one of the best forwards to play with the Sedins. Real good.

Willie even said there's 3 guys to a line, why would you not want someone with high level skill like the Sedins who can expose defenders with them. I'm not saying that the Sedins need that either, but there is a difference between Burrows and Dorsett when it comes to skilled play in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Henrik and Daniel - and the idea of signing new contracts:

Given what we've seen from Selanne and Jagr in recent years, I'm wondering as to why the Sedins' can't play here until 39-40, etc.? That's of course, if they want to.

After the Sedins' current contract expires, why wouldn't it be possible to sign them to smaller contracts while having them take on progressively lesser roles as Horvat and McCann continue to get better and rise to prominence?

Is it possible? Would it be a good idea in your opinion?

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

Given what we've seen from Selanne and Jagr in recent years, I'm wondering as to why the Sedins' can't play here until 39-40, etc.? That's of course, if they want to.

After the Sedins' current contract expires, why wouldn't it be possible to sign them to smaller contracts while having them take on progressively lesser roles as Horvat and McCann continue to get better and rise to prominence?

It is both possible and a good idea. It is a long ways away still so its just pure speculation at this point, anything could happen. All I know is that it will be entirely up to the Sedin's what to do. I don't think the organization or their agents will be putting pressure on them to resign.

On a side note, anyone consider the possibility that one of them would retire/play back to Sweden while the other resigns in Vancouver?

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Nice writeup from Friedman on his 30 Thoughts:

17. Henrik Sedin was MVP in 2010. Daniel Sedin was runner-up to Corey Perry in 2011. Cornerstones of a two-time President’s Trophy winner and a Stanley Cup Finalist. But, this has got to be the best hockey they’ve ever played, absolutely carrying a young Vancouver team despite their own injuries. They’ve got to be proud of what they’re doing.

“You’re right, we are proud,” Daniel said Monday, not long after coach Willie Desjardins announced Henrik’s injury would keep him out until after All-Star. “We leave it up to other people to rate the way we’ve played. But through turnover, changes, and the arrival of young guys, we’re expected to lead. (The franchise) puts a lot of trust on us, and we are proud to do it. We still have a long ways to go. The young guys need to take more steps and we have to help that.”

18. Do the Sedins ever look around at this group and wonder, “Who is that guy?” Daniel laughed at the question.

“For a long time, everyone was in their prime, there was not a lot of change. Now, everything is happening.”

A couple of weeks ago, Bo Horvat admitted he read what people said about him on social media — never a good idea. That’s one thing the twins try to help young players deal with.

“It’s not going to get any worse than what people said about us for the first two or three years of our career,” Daniel said, chuckling again. “Deal with it. Go out and answer the questions, deal with opinions good and bad. Show your face. Get your story our there. If people are going to make up stuff, they’re going to make up stuff. Stand up and answer, hold your head high.”

19. The Sedins are 35, with two years remaining on their contracts. Have they considered playing until, say, 40?

“Age is a number…The way our bodies feel, for sure, I think we could do it. The only thing that’s different is the travel and back-to-backs wear on you more. When you wake up, you’re more sore. We’ll see what happens, but travel is the one thing that could keep us from playing that long.”

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
"We’ll see what happens, but travel is the one thing that could keep us from playing that long." - D. Sedin

Anyone else surprised how often athletes cite travel as being especially punishing? I realize it's a drag, but compared to all the other stuff they put their bodies through, how tough can it be? It's not like they're flying coach.

Anyway, here's hoping they play until they're 40 and beyond. The end of the Sedin Era will be a sad day for this franchise.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I thought this was an interesting quote from the Washington Post article:

“We’ve had every type of player,†Henrik said. “We had Anson Carter, not the best skater in the world. Taylor Pyatt, a big, strong physical guy. We had [Alexandre Burrows], who is a smart player but not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy. Zack Kassian was really speedy for us. We’ve gone through different types of players, it doesn’t really matter for us what type of player it is.â€

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

It's not just possible, it's a certainty

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
"We’ll see what happens, but travel is the one thing that could keep us from playing that long." - D. Sedin

Anyone else surprised how often athletes cite travel as being especially punishing? I realize it's a drag, but compared to all the other stuff they put their bodies through, how tough can it be? It's not like they're flying coach.

Anyway, here's hoping they play until they're 40 and beyond. The end of the Sedin Era will be a sad day for this franchise.

i'm a year younger than the sedins and if i change timezones twice in a month, i am wrecked. so imagine what it's like to always have to fly to minnesota, chicago, st. louis, edmonton, calgary, etc.

there's a reason so many old guys end up playing out their last years in new york and philadelphia. the much lighter travel probably adds a year or two to your career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad