Speculation: The Greatest Line Detroit put on ice

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, we're both right. Boyd was originally one of the kids, but Zetterberg eventually took that spot.

When I searched the line in Google I got a fun result, too.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/324399

It's funny because in Datsyuk's tweet he was calling Alfredsson the old goat of the line. :laugh:

I mean, Z-D-Alfredsson is another nomination, at least worth a mention, for all-time great line, even if they were all past their prime.

Most people actually confuse the second addition of the grind line as well when talking about it. I think most actually liked the second addition of those more is really why it happens.

It is arguable somewhat given what Delvecchio would become for the organization the second production line is more significant in terms of the annals of Detroit Red Wings hockey as well.

Again I just answered with my opinion the first production line is the greatest in the history of the game.

We have been treated to a lot of hockey excellence and wonderful lines over the years.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
As much as I liked watching Holmstrom park himself in front of the net, any line he was involved in was almost always more frustrating than fun, because of the BS interference calls.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov was a nasty line.

The names say it all and they won us a Cup as a #1 line.

I'd give the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom line the edge for a couple of reasons though:

1) If you were to rank all 6 players at their time on those lines, 08 Datsyuk and Zetterberg would essentially be tied at the top as they were better than the 02 versions of Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanny.

2) Additionally, the Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom line actually had more responsibility, both as our top offensive line, but just as importantly, as our go to shutdown line. The Grind line played huge minutes in 02 and took on many of the toughest assignments at even strength.

I would have liked to see how dominant Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan could have been if they were a regular line back in 97 though.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I remember Datsyuk and Zetterberg were playing together to start that season and I believe Bertuzzi initially got the nod as the 3rd member, but Bert was on his last legs and couldn't keep up like he could even a couple seasons prior. We were losing to Colorado I believe it was and then Babs replaced Bert with Alfie and then that line dominated and I want to say we won.

Unfortunately our lack of depth and injuries didn't allow us to see those 3 together often. But when they were together, there was so much potential even as they were all past their primes. Alfie was one of the few who could keep up mentality with 13 and 40.

Agreed. Alfie would have been a treat to watch on a nightly basis in his Sens prime

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Agreed. Alfie would have been a treat to watch on a nightly basis in his Sens prime

I remember they called that the Pizza line. I was never quite sure why. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredson line was the dominant line in the NHL when it was together.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I remember they called that the Pizza line. I was never quite sure why. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredson line was the dominant line in the NHL when it was together.

Wikipedia to the rescue.

The CASH Line[1] – Ottawa Senators (mid-to-late 2000s) Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Dany Heatley. The name was an acronym of Captain Alfredsson Spezza Heatley. Also known as the 'Capital Punishment Line' for their high scoring and the team being in the capital of Canada. It was also known as 'The Pizza Line' because Pizza Pizza would give away a free slice of pizza to a ticket stub holder from the home game if the Senators scored five goals or more, and so this trio thereby provided famine relief for Ottawans. All three were named to the 2009 NHL All-Star game, a feat last achieved in 1980s with the "Triple Crown" line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_line_nicknames

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
another vote Russian 5.

1.jpg

5a6a6600258db03dd8e2f3dda8fc9281.jpg

Such awesome hockey!

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I never knew the production line finished 1 2 and 3 in scoring, that is unreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad