Speculation: The Greatest Line Detroit put on ice

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
In your opinion, what was the best line they have ever put on the ice ?

The V line ?

the production line howe abel lindsay ?

Grind line of Mccarty, Maltby, Draper

Datsyuk, Z, Holmstrom

Hull, Fedorov, Shanny

Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanny

For years detroit put out some amazing talent, just curious in your opinion what was the best line they put on the ice, you can include defense if you want.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is the production line. The only linemates to finish 1-2-3 in NHL scoring in the history of the game.

I know the Russian five wasn't really a line and they should be fun here, but realistically it has to be the Production Line. That is the greatest line in NHL history in my opinion.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I liked that 2002 5-man power-play unit

-------- Holmström (net-front)

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

----------- Lidström (on point)

Russian5 was also something special.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I liked that 2002 5-man power-play unit

-------- Holmström (net-front)

Shanahan - Yzerman - Fedorov

----------- Lidström (on point)

Russian5 was also something special.

I prefer the 08 "big five" of

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Lidstrom-Rafalski

Most dominant unit I have ever seen as a hockey fan, and their Corsi numbers back it up.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I prefer the 08 "big five" of

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Lidstrom-Rafalski

Most dominant unit I have ever seen as a hockey fan, and their Corsi numbers back it up.

Yeah this is still the most dominant five man unit I have seen play since I seriously started watching hockey. Would have been cool to see some historically great lines that were before my time.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Despite never seeing them, it's clearly the Production Line.

My two personal favorites though were for sure The Russian 5 and Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom. Both were dominant and visually pleasing, but I'd have to give the later unit the nod considering that not only did they have two Top 10 pt producers, but they also had two Selke finalists. Both were such a pleasure to watch though.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
From me seeing? Really liked the Russian Five. The Big Five in '08 was a possession machine and we're essentially untouchable.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
It is the production line. The only linemates to finish 1-2-3 in NHL scoring in the history of the game.

I know the Russian five wasn't really a line and they should be fun here, but realistically it has to be the Production Line. That is the greatest line in NHL history in my opinion.

IMO its a toss up between the Production Line and Montreal's Punch Line, but there really shouldn't be much of a debate for Wings best line.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Remember in 2009 when they could throw out Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Franzen, Lidstrom, and Rafalski in extra man situations?

I miss the good old days.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The Grind Line won't ever get mentioned as the 'best', but man did I enjoy watching them. All hustle, and an edge I don't think the Wings have had since the line 'broke up'. It's the kind of line I wish the team still had.

The Production Line is clearly the only answer to OP's question, though.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
another vote Russian 5.

1.jpg

5a6a6600258db03dd8e2f3dda8fc9281.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think we settled the best line in reply #1, but I have a soft spot for two kids and a goat: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hull.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not Zetterberg, but Boyd Devereaux was on that line.

That may have been one iteration of it but I remember that line as being Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hull. I can remember Mickey Redmond calling it out almost every-time they took a shift.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That may have been one iteration of it but I remember that line as being Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hull. I can remember Mickey Redmond calling it out almost every-time they took a shift.

Yeah, we're both right. Boyd was originally one of the kids, but Zetterberg eventually took that spot.

When I searched the line in Google I got a fun result, too.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/324399

Pavel Datsyuk is probably one of the better NHL players to follow on Twitter. In case you are wondering, he's making reference to the Henrik Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brett Hull line in the photo below, which was famously known as "Two Kids and an Old Goat." Maybe the 2013 edition (the only new addition is Daniel Alfredsson) should just be called "Three Old Goats" ... there are not many kids left.

It's funny because in Datsyuk's tweet he was calling Alfredsson the old goat of the line. :laugh:

I mean, Z-D-Alfredsson is another nomination, at least worth a mention, for all-time great line, even if they were all past their prime.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, we're both right. Boyd was originally one of the kids, but Zetterberg eventually took that spot.

When I searched the line in Google I got a fun result, too.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/324399

It's funny because in Datsyuk's tweet he was calling Alfredsson the old goat of the line. :laugh:

I mean, Z-D-Alfredsson is another nomination, at least worth a mention, for all-time great line, even if they were all past their prime.

Somewhat related note - The Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson line in Ottawa was freaking amazing.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I remember Datsyuk and Zetterberg were playing together to start that season and I believe Bertuzzi initially got the nod as the 3rd member, but Bert was on his last legs and couldn't keep up like he could even a couple seasons prior. We were losing to Colorado I believe it was and then Babs replaced Bert with Alfie and then that line dominated and I want to say we won.

Unfortunately our lack of depth and injuries didn't allow us to see those 3 together often. But when they were together, there was so much potential even as they were all past their primes. Alfie was one of the few who could keep up mentality with 13 and 40.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
The Production Line has to stand out as the best.

After that, it's REALLY hard to pick between Yzerman/Shanahan/Fedorov, the Russian Five, and Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I agree the production line must be it

My favorite is Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom. Add in Lidstrom-Rafalski for the full five man unit.

I never watched hockey pre lockout, so I can't really say much about the Russian five or other lines involving feds, stevie, etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad