The Great Wyatt Kalynuk Appreciation thread (And former Hawks talk vol 8)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He was good for a short time period here, you could definitely see his potential at that time.

There were flashes of the skillset that made you understand why they traded for him, but I dont think he ever reached the level of ‘good’ here. The year in the AHL with Carolina’s farm team seemed to do a lot for him and he’s been on an upward trajectory since.

Frankly, the Blackhawks probably would have been better off letting him eat up minutes on the top pair in Rockford rather than bounce him around and play him inconsistently in the NHL

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Followed Forsling since his Linkoping days. I always thought he had this in him and was one of his biggest supporters. That being said I really wasn't upset with the move when we did it. He hadn't really progressed but Colliton hated him so that didn't help. Even Carolina waived him. Some guys just take longer or the right environment.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Kane should be back here next season, putting up 80-100 points right alongside Bedard. Imagine the two of them on the ice together. Christ.
Im on board with bringing Kane (2year $5-6 mil)back but I would not put him with bedard. Kane and Bedard are both best with the puck on there stick and they are both not good on the physical side of things. Need some size with Bedard IMO. PP 1 is fine.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kane should be back here next season, putting up 80-100 points right alongside Bedard. Imagine the two of them on the ice together. Christ.
Richardson might put them both on the pp2 with Korchinski...or he might get mad that Tinordi and Megna don't get so many minutes to shine in their own end.

At some point even Richardson wouldn't keep them separated though.

I'm completely on board for Kane x 4 and way too much AAV. Pay him back for making him spend that year on a bad hip. Much of the roster will still be cost controlled years through 29.

I would be shocked if it happened though.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Richardson might put them both on the pp2 with Korchinski...or he might get mad that Tinordi and Megna don't get so many minutes to shine in their own end.

At some point even Richardson wouldn't keep them separated though.

I'm completely on board for Kane x 4 and way too much AAV. Pay him back for making him spend that year on a bad hip. Much of the roster will still be cost controlled years through 29.

I would be shocked if it happened thou
Kane got a 6.3 mil extension after his ELC at 21 at the time was probably one of the highest AAV's given out after a ELC other then the 10-12 year deals that they outlawed. then they made him the highest paid player in the league for 10.5. Does the hawks owe him or does he owe the hawks? you can say what you want about Rocky and stan they paid the core very very well. In your scenario should Toews and SEABS pay the hawks back for they brutal return we got on those deals?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Kane got a 6.3 mil extension after his ELC at 21 at the time was probably one of the highest AAV's given out after a ELC other then the 10-12 year deals that they outlawed. then they made him the highest paid player in the league for 10.5. Does the hawks owe him or does he owe the hawks? you can say what you want about Rocky and stan they paid the core very very well. In your scenario should Toews and SEABS pay the hawks back for they brutal return we got on those deals?
Part of the high payment was about timing too. They saw success in early extensions in Detroit, despite maybe high numbers and hey didn't want the uncertainty looming, especially after LA/Doughty impasse was a about 4 periods from blowing the whole thing up and selling the franchise.

They just gave Foligno about 6 million more on a contract than he would have gotten on the market. Part of the Kane overpayment would be baked into the mercenary contracts Danny and KD are shelling out.

I don't worry about who owes who at this point and KD/Danny/Faulkner already torched those bridges. This would be mostly new.

Hawks are years from worrying about AAV in this style rebuild..or at least should be.

On a more serious note, they wouldn't even give Kane a right shooting left wing last year to make his shifts a little easier, in a contract year...they're not bringing him back no matter how it may look on paper imo. The stadium would be insane and it would be fun to watch Kane chase records and Bedard do what he's going to do. Fun to imagine.

Shifting gears a bit, I wonder if Faulkner/KD have an timeline where they would be okay bringing ex-Hawks back from pre-teardown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad