OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Could you please recommend me a good novel where I can learn a bit of factual history, science or something interesting ? Something like Da Vinci code.
Or a good book inspired on true story.
Thanks.
If Leonardo da Vinci is of interest, this is one of the best biographies I have read.
Very well researched, written and illustrated. Such an interesting man, so far ahead of his time.

da Vinci1.png

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Could you please recommend me a good novel where I can learn a bit of factual history, science or something interesting ? Something like the novel Da Vinci code.
Or a good book inspired on true story.
Thanks.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is a classic and a good read for factual history. It's settled around 1000 BC, when they were building cathedrals in Britain. It's less of a thriller than Da Vinci code, but still a page turner and way more plausible. Don't read too much about it or you'll have the ending ruined by spoilers. The motivations of the bad guys are plausible, so it's way better than Da Vinci imo.

March Viloets is a historocal detective novel by Phillip Kerr, in Nazi Germany. I have read another novel with the same protagonist and I liked the film noir atmosphere.

If you're into Science Fiction, The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin is a good hard science book. The emotional intelligence of the characters baffled me (as it did in Da Vinci Code), but the book made me wonder in awe about the size of the universe and the nature of time. If you watched the Netflix show, they covered most of the first book and a part of the second (it's a trilogy). They just couldn't reproduce the astonishment I felt in the book when they talked about the actual three-body problem, and I feel the same will occur with the third book when they'll get there in the show.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is a classic and a good read for factual history. It's settled around 1000 BC, when they were building cathedrals in Britain. It's less of a thriller than Da Vinci code, but still a page turner and way more plausible. Don't read too much about it or you'll have the ending ruined by spoilers. The motivations of the bad guys are plausible, so it's way better than Da Vinci imo.

March Viloets is a historocal detective novel by Phillip Kerr, in Nazi Germany. I have read another novel with the same protagonist and I liked the film noir atmosphere.

If you're into Science Fiction, The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin is a good hard science book. The emotional intelligence of the characters baffled me (as it did in Da Vinci Code), but the book made me wonder in awe about the size of the universe and the nature of time. If you watched the Netflix show, they covered most of the first book and a part of the second (it's a trilogy). They just couldn't reproduce the astonishment I felt in the book when they talked about the actual three-body problem, and I feel the same will occur with the third book when they'll get there in the show.
I endorse the whole Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett. Pillars may be the best one though. Edit : also loved Column of Fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad