The golden age of Finnish hockey.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
In different sources is said that also Oksanen, Jokiharju, Salo, Heiskanen and Kotkansalo have potential to go first round. There is a list about Finnish prospects whose Eliteprospects and Draftbuzzhockey have mentioned: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120018653&postcount=236

And for 2020 on this moment i would put Kasperi Simontaival.

Cheers! And man, next year is starting to shape up pretty wonderful as well. A record high of first rounders would be a nice starting point, ha. What can you tell us about Simontaival?

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Cheers! And man, next year is starting to shape up pretty wonderful as well. A record high of first rounders would be a nice starting point, ha. What can you tell us about Simontaival?
Sorry i misspelled his name is Kasper, not Kasperi. I cant tell about him very much, but he played couple of games on first line on Tappara C-juniors this season and was dominant on World Selects tournament on Bratislava, where he did 12 goals and 17 points on nine games.
Here is eliteprospects profile:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120018653&postcount=236. Other promising talent from 2002 class is TPS defenseman Ruben Rafkin (goes to NA next season).

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Laine-Barkov-Puljujarvi
Aho-Teravainen-Rantanen
Tolvanen-Granlund-Donskoi

Maatta-Ristolainen
Juolevi-Vatanen

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Just wondering if this " Golden age " stops at the 99 birth year or if there is still depth in the later age groups.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
There's more to come. It's just a bit hard to judge players under 16 years of age.

From what I've seen, I believe that Leevi Aaltonen (Eligible 2019 Draft) can definitely be a potential top5-pick. Last season he played in U16 team as a 14-year-old and scored 95 points in 37 games. He definitely is a guy to look out.

- Stoat

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Charakter!

Okay much finnish players are high drafted now and in the future too.
But it seems some finnish guys hasn t a good character.
Most finns don t develop in NHL!
Comparing with Swedes! Much Swedes players progress(Beeing better year for year) in "old age" ;).
What ist the cause?

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
00's and 01's look kind of lackluster from my point of view. Hopefully there are some good late bloomers.

Well it would be a bit too much optimistic thinking to expect a Laine, Puljujarvi type young prospect so soon. They usually don't come often, so prospects in the age groups directly after seem disappointing in comparison. There is sure to be some late bloomers who will emerge as first round level prospects in these age groups I'm sure.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
There is sure to be some late bloomers who will emerge as first round level prospects in these age groups I'm sure.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi looked like a good prospect for 2018 draft before his injury, but it's difficult to say much about him right now since he hasn't played a single game this season. In addition to Kotkaniemi, there are a few fairly interesting Finnish prospects for 2018 draft, but they look more like potential mid-rounders right now. In other words, the top talent is scarce and there's not much depth either.

It's early to talk about the 2019 draft, but I'm finding it difficult to get enthusiastic about guys like Leevi Aaltonen, Mikko Kokkonen and Iivari Räsänen. Aaltonen was close to a non-factor at WU17-challenge, and Kokkonen and Räsänen were there mostly because of their physical maturity, not because they are particularly skilled or dynamic.

It's not a given that Finland will have a 1st rounder in 2018 or 2019.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I saw Miska Kukkonen and Toni Utunen this weekend. I think both were already really solid and they are probably one of the most interesting Finns for 2018 draft. Both have enough frame and skill to succeed and it will be interesting to see how they will progress.

But other than that, I think 2018 draft is "back to normal". Finland had few really solid drafts but now there really aren't many players who would stand out or who even manages to do well in U20 league. And those who do seems to be too midgets.

At this stage last year we knew that Finland would have good draft class in 2017. Now we can only hope that there will be players who steps up before summer 2018.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
But other than that, I think 2018 draft is "back to normal".

Normal as horrible output given the resources in Finnish icehockey?

How much do these new players play individual 'small games?
Access to those games might explain more than whatever Finnish Icehockey Federation has done... Ristolainen for example lived around a rink/football pitch if that Viasat documentary is to be believed.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Normal as horrible output given the resources in Finnish icehockey?
Normal being closer to level of 2014 and 2015 NHL Drafts than 2016 and 2017 Drafts. Should Finland be able to produce more than 1-2 first rounders, couple of good prospects and bunch of long-shots or late bloomers per year? Maybe.

But I'm relatively happy as long as Finland does not produce complete garbage like 85-90 age groups.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
But I'm relatively happy as long as Finland does not produce complete garbage like 85-90 age groups.

I think that is the wrong mindset to have if Finland as a hockey country is to avoid having such a downfall ever again or to witness a true golden age in Finnish ice hockey. The Finnish machine needs to be competent for this but rising after a really low tide it cannot recover that easily without truly adapting to the future we live in.

If for example this latest and much advertised youth coaching revolution turns out to be not the factor behind the recent improvement... At least we have weak SM-liiga, horrible domestic leagues below SM-liiga and average at best youth output to be proud of. The advantage in goalie coaching education has been lost. I do not think these are exactly signs of a strong ice hockey nation which focuses so much resources into the one dominant sport.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Finland U27

Team 1

Saros
Luukkonen

Ristolainen - Maatta
Juolevi - Heiskanen
Lindell - Vatanen

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Puljujarvi - Aho - Tolvanen
Armia - Mi. Granlund - Ma. Granlund
Lehkonen - Haula - Kapanen

Team 2

Husso
Korpisalo

Honka - Vaakanainen
Valimaki - Jokiharju
Nutivaara - Kokkonen

Teravainen - Borgstrom - Ikonen
Donskoi - Hintz - Vesalainen
Kuokkanen - Saarela - Pulkkinen
Pakarinen - Heponiemi - Salomaki

Team 3

Kahkonen
Ruusu

Saarijarvi - Niku
Salo - Pokka
Lindbohm - Jokipakka

Hannikainen - Kossila - M. Aaltonen
Repo - Nikkanen - Haapala
L. Aaltonen - Kotkaniemi - Simontaival
Bjorkqvist - Kupari - Ylonen

Team 4

Gibson
Mäkiniemi

Niemeläinen - Kotkansalo
Reunanen - E. Rasanen
Almari - Utunen

Koivula - A. Rasanen - Oksanen
Mäenalanen - Luostarinen - Palmu
Kalapudas - Nattinen - Lammikko
Tammela - Koppanen - Nurmi

--------------------------------

Future is looking quite decent right now.:handclap:

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The D could prove to be the Achilles' heel though, unless Juolevi and Heiskanen become something special it might not be quite strong enough to win big tournaments. Especially if the G talent will prove less than great as well. But the offensive talent does look golden, in any case significantly better than what it used to be.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Just wondering if this " Golden age " stops at the 99 birth year or if there is still depth in the later age groups.

00's and 01's look kind of lackluster from my point of view. Hopefully there are some good late bloomers.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi looked like a good prospect for 2018 draft before his injury, but it's difficult to say much about him right now since he hasn't played a single game this season. In addition to Kotkaniemi, there are a few fairly interesting Finnish prospects for 2018 draft, but they look more like potential mid-rounders right now. In other words, the top talent is scarce and there's not much depth either.

It's early to talk about the 2019 draft, but I'm finding it difficult to get enthusiastic about guys like Leevi Aaltonen, Mikko Kokkonen and Iivari Räsänen. Aaltonen was close to a non-factor at WU17-challenge, and Kokkonen and Räsänen were there mostly because of their physical maturity, not because they are particularly skilled or dynamic.

It's not a given that Finland will have a 1st rounder in 2018 or 2019.

Several months have passed since these posts, but it doesn't look like much was added on this board to answer these concerns and considering at Draftin Europe we feel differently, I will add a couple of notes on the subject myself.

We would be shocked to see the aforementioned Kotkaniemi drop out of the 1st round. And there is a pretty good chance he won't be the only Finn selected in the 1st round in 2018.

Moving on to 2019, the following may sound less obvious. We put out a Top 5 for Europe as part of our new release (available on our webpage draftineu.com) earlier this month (before the Hlinka) and, despite not getting the hype, a Finn sits on top of it (he is not one of the above prospects). It's early and it wasn't an easy call, but he wasn't the only Finn in the mix either.

Furthermore, in that same release we also had a Finn in our early Top 5 for 2020.

So, to answer the original question, it does look to us there is more coming beyond the '99 birth year for Finland.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Several months have passed since these posts, but it doesn't look like much was added on this board to answer these concerns and considering at Draftin Europe we feel differently, I will add a couple of notes on the subject myself.

We would be shocked to see the aforementioned Kotkaniemi drop out of the 1st round. And there is a pretty good chance he won't be the only Finn selected in the 1st round in 2018.

Kotkaniemi is looking like a likely 1st round prospect right now, I can agree with that.

Kupari was very good at Hlinka and he has developed very well during the last 12 months. That being said, it's possible that some are overrating him right now. He's a possible 1st rounder yes, but I think that his Hlinka performance was at the very top of his range. In a different environment you may get a slightly different picture about his abilities.

Ylönen's speed, skill and NHL bloodlines make him an interesting prospect, but at least for me his true upside is still bit of a mystery.

Moving on to 2019, the following may sound less obvious. We put out a Top 5 for Europe as part of our new release (available on our webpage draftineu.com) earlier this month (before the Hlinka) and, despite not getting the hype, a Finn sits on top of it (he is not one of the above prospects). It's early and it wasn't an easy call, but he wasn't the only Finn in the mix either.

You can see from here that I was pretty high on Nikkanen and Kakko last February. After that I saw Kakko's play during play-offs and became even more convinced about his upside. As of now I feel he's the top Finn for 2019 draft and I presume you see things the same way.

The current Finnish U17 national team has several rather interesting forwards on it, so things are looking more positive than I previously thought.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kotkaniemi is looking like a likely 1st round prospect right now, I can agree with that.

Kupari was very good at Hlinka and he has developed very well during the last 12 months. That being said, it's possible that some are overrating him right now. He's a possible 1st rounder yes, but I think that his Hlinka performance was at the very top of his range. In a different environment you may get a slightly different picture about his abilities.

I was expecting a lot from Kotkaniemi coming into the season. I think he looked pretty impressive at the U18 WJHC especially for an under aged player and of course even before that there's been a lot of talk around him. At the Hlinka's Kupari looked like he was on a whole another level what comes to the two. The skating especially, some giant leaps there over the summer. Was quite impressive for someone with no size issues and who stands 6"1 tall. Pretty rare to thing to see the combination of speed and agility displayed by Kupari who certainly looked a lot more dynamic. Kotkaniemi on the other hand was quite underwhelming throughout the short tournament. Could be that he excels better at more organized game play, tough to say at this point. How would you judge these two for vision/IQ, passing, shooting and overall level?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I was expecting a lot from Kotkaniemi coming into the season. I think he looked pretty impressive at the U18 WJHC especially for an under aged player and of course even before that there's been a lot of talk around him. At the Hlinka's Kupari looked like he was on a whole another level what comes to the two. The skating especially, some giant leaps there over the summer. Was quite impressive for someone with no size issues and who stands 6"1 tall. Pretty rare to thing to see the combination of speed and agility displayed by Kupari who certainly looked a lot more dynamic. Kotkaniemi on the other hand was quite underwhelming throughout the short tournament. Could be that he excels better at more organized game play, tough to say at this point. How would you judge these two for vision/IQ, passing, shooting and overall level?

I liked Kotkaniemi's play at Hlinka. Not a dominating perfomance, but still plenty of good elements that clearly differentiated him from most players on the ice.

Kupari is the flashier player from these two due to his far superior speed. I'd say Kotkaniemi sees the ice better and thinks the game at a slightly higher level when in possession of the puck. Both are good prospects.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
The current Finnish U17 national team has several rather interesting forwards on it, so things are looking more positive than I previously thought.

Any of these forwards have some upside? all are under 6 feet.

Aarne Intonen
Rasmus Lahnaviik
Patrik Puistola
Mikko Petman
Veeti Miettinen
Arttu Tuomaala
Aku Räty

I propably like Miettinen most of the bunch has good speed and hands to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad