The goalie situation: “handing over the batonâ€

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Since there is not much going on, might as well bring up DT’s comments around draft time when he went after Talbot and called it a “handing over the baton†move. I think it’s clear that Montoya’s time is up and that he would be playing in the ahl this year if the Talbot deal had gone through.

Most expect Lou still to play 2-3 solid years but what options are there for the backup position that is young (23-25 y/o) and has the potential to be a starter in this league?

Gonna throw a name out there: Darcy Kuemper (25) from the Wild. Had a rough last season but showed a lot of promise before that. With the signing of Dubnyk, he might look elsewhere next year.

A guy under the radar would be Joni Ortio (24) from the Flames. He has to clear waivers this year (I think) and they already have Ramo and Hiller signed. He has been impressive everytime I’ve watched him play and a stud in the ahl.

Since DT is looking for a successor, keep the names young and stick to guys that are more realistic (e.g. not someone like Anderssen from the Ducks)

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Since there is not much going on, might as well bring up DT’s comments around draft time when he went after Talbot and called it a “handing over the baton†move. I think it’s clear that Montoya’s time is up and that he would be playing in the ahl this year if the Talbot deal had gone through.

Most expect Lou still to play 2-3 solid years but what options are there for the backup position that is young (23-25 y/o) and has the potential to be a starter in this league?

Gonna throw a name out there: Darcy Kuemper (25) from the Wild. Had a rough last season but showed a lot of promise before that. With the signing of Dubnyk, he might look elsewhere next year.

A guy under the radar would be Joni Ortio (24) from the Flames. He has to clear waivers this year (I think) and they already have Ramo and Hiller signed. He has been impressive everytime I’ve watched him play and a stud in the ahl.

Since DT is looking for a successor, keep the names young and stick to guys that are more realistic (e.g. not someone like Anderssen from the Ducks)

If not Anderssen, how about Gibson!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Talbot deal was for Hayes and Montoya.

I will never understand why he was obsessed with Cam Talbot and I'm happy that trade was rejected by NYR.

Signing Mike McKenna ensures Montoya is the backup this season.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm of the opinion that Lu will be more than capable as a starter until Montembeault is ready (provided he earns the job). Unless Luongo goes down with a serious injury or his game takes a serious nosedive I don't see a reason to go after a top young goalie.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I'm of the opinion that Lu will be more than capable as a starter until Montembeault is ready (provided he earns the job). Unless Luongo goes down with a serious injury or his game takes a serious nosedive I don't see a reason to go after a top young goalie.
I'm just glad we finally did draft somebody like that. I was frustrated with our seemingly deliberate avoidance on drafting a heir apparent in net.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm just glad we finally did draft somebody like that. I was frustrated with our seemingly deliberate avoidance on drafting a heir apparent in net.

Since goalie is the hardest position to project, I'm not all that upset. It would have been nice to draft someone like Vasilevsky or Gibson, but with the team being such a mess for so long I'm glad they decided to draft guys that were safer.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Ortio would NOT be available. listening to some Flames insiders, they have made mention that Ortio is their goalie of the future.

If there is a casualty, it will be one of Ramo or Hiller (guess is Hiller).

In a couple of years, I believe 2017, Tampa has to choose to re-sign Bishop (if they can afford it) or let him walk and go to Vaselevsky....so he might be an option. 2016, Cam Ward is a UFA so he might be an option.

The aforementioned Cam Talbot is actually a UFA after this season ends so he might be an option if he decides to leave Edmonton or whatever happens there.

Ducks picked up Khudobin so Gibson might be an option in a few years, provided that Khudobin and Andersen keep their jobs.

I also expect one of Jimmy Howard or Mrazek (probably Howard) to be available also....(though it would probably have to be via trade).

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

Montembault is still +5 years away from being a starter. If he ever will be one. I wouldn't bet the farm on a 18 year old goalie prospect.

Anyway, with DT's statement I think it's clear he is looking a for a young, nhl ready backup.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ortio would NOT be available. listening to some Flames insiders, they have made mention that Ortio is their goalie of the future.

Yup but I don't know what their plan is, to keep 3 goalies on the roster this year? Since they can't send him don't to the ahl.

I've been really impressed with him always when I've seen him, great reflexes and rebound control.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Montembault is still +5 years away from being a starter. If he ever will be one. I wouldn't bet the farm on a 18 year old goalie prospect.

Anyway, with DT's statement I think it's clear he is looking a for a young, nhl ready backup.

5+ seems really conservative. I think he can use another two years in juniors and maybe two in the AHL. But then again, I have zero instinct when it comes to projecting goalies lol.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
5+ seems really conservative. I think he can use another two years in juniors and maybe two in the AHL. But then again, I have zero instinct when it comes to projecting goalies lol.

Four years would put him at 22, I don't think there are any starters in the league that age. Because at that point, Lou most likely is the backup.

Anyway my point is, it's just way too early to project what Montembault will be. Maybe after the two years in the ahl like you said we should have an idea whether he'll be a capable nhl goalie. I think they need to address the "future goalie" problem earlier than that.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
The Talbot deal was for Hayes and Montoya.

I will never understand why he was obsessed with Cam Talbot and I'm happy that trade was rejected by NYR.

Signing Mike McKenna ensures Montoya is the backup this season.

Because Talbot was fantastic when Henrik was out with injury for a while last season maybe?
I was disappointed we didn't get him.

Fagerblom

It's a toss up between him and Gayduchenko.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
The best option is to hit on one of Brittian, Crowley, or Dikembe. The other thing to look at are prospects stuck behind star goalies like Fucale or Subban. Someone like Bernier looks like a good option as well because he will not last with the laughs for their rebuild.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Because Talbot was fantastic when Henrik was out with injury for a while last season maybe?
I was disappointed we didn't get him.

And why does Talbot re-sign in Florida? He wouldn't come back unless he was promised the majority of starts, and I doubt the plan was for Luongo to take a backup role after this year, so wasting a good asset for an upgrade on backup goalie? If Talbot even is an upgrade, he played behind ridiculous d and Montoya was a respectable 6-5-2 in starts (he had 2 bad games all year, the dislike for him is unfounded).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
a guy who's young and not often mentioned who could be good imo could be Grubauer. he's 23, turning 24 in late november. he's been great for the last 3yrs, played great in the echl, has played fantastic in the ahl, and has been very solid in his nhl time too. washington has holtby longterm and have peters as a backup, it probably wouldnt cost too much to get him, he's played at all levels and has looked great and still young in that perfect age range. luongo is still our starter for the next 3-4yrs, so its not a guy that would be pushing him out the door and could get a couple seasons in as backup under a pro like luongo.
i didnt really understand talbot since luongo still has a few seasons left of being our starter while talbot, who needs a new contract after this season, would be looking to be a starter anywhere from this next season (which he will now that he's with the oilers) or within 2yrs.
kuemper, jake allen, those are guys i like who have more nhl experience, but i expect teams that need a starter now rather than in 3-4yrs would be looking at guys like them, same goes to gibson, hutton, tokarski, hutchinson, stalock, guys like that. thats why i think grubaeur could be interesting because he's played well, and at an age where he can still get some backup years under luongo instead of pushing him out.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This is good issue to speak about now as I'm not too confident in our goaltending situation after this coming season. Really, I'm not that too confident with Montoya as a backup right now either as I'm not sure if Luongo can start 65 games at this point.

I'm assuming Tallon will go after someone in free agency or make a trade next off-season to help this problem. It needs be addressed as we're going to get better in all other areas as time goes on.

I'm just throwing another name out there, but what about Antti Raanta? He'll be a UFA after this season. If things don't work out with the Rangers for long-term expectations, maybe we can get him at a decent price in a trade?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Obviously this is going to be a problem at some point, but right now or next offseason is too early. Lu is still the clear cut number 1 and he isn't showing signs of slowing down, the main priority is to keep him motivated and happy. We all know what happened in Vancouver.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
i didnt really understand talbot since luongo still has a few seasons left of being our starter

Is this really the case though? I'm just spitballing here but to me going after Talbot came out of the blue and he certainly doesn't seem like a guy that would be a backup for the next 3-4 years. Also the handing over the baton talk... why would DT even bring that up right now? Usually he keeps a tight lid on everything.

I wear my tinfoil hat in the morning :naughty:

Deleted member 55113

Also the handing over the baton talk... why would DT even bring that up right now? Usually he keeps a tight lid on everything.

Look at Luongo's contract. In 3 year's time, his salary drops from $6.7mm to $3.3mm (39 years old) in 2018-2019 and then down to $1.x and change at 40+ years old.

Lots of Vancouver fans speculated long ago that the extended term in the $1.x mm range was to keep the AAV down artificially keeping cap down. Would not be surprised if Lou just retires at that time to stick the cap-recapture penalty to Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad