Proposal: The Gleason-Harrison Boycott

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I, impeach estaalo, have decided to cease watching any and all Carolina Hurricanes hockey games in which both Jay Harrison and Tim Gleason (hereinafter referred to as "timgleson") are dressed.

Furthermore, I have decided to boycott one (1) additional game for each game that Jay Harrison and timgleson play together on the same defensive pairing.

I would like to invite all fans to take part in this very important boycott. It is simply unacceptable that a defensive pairing that has been tried repeatedly throughout the years and failed repeatedly to the tune of a 46.8% Corsi rating continues to be iced. The fact that timgleson - who was the worst defenseman on the worst defensive team in the league last year - was deemed to be worthy of a contract is alone enough for a permanent boycott of this franchise, so I feel I am being extremely generous here.

By icing this pairing, the message from the team seems to be loud and clear: you can suck to degrees never thought possible before but still can retain a place on the team if you are a big, gritty North American veteran. It is time for us as fans to send a message back.

Let's do this.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
simpsons-mob-torches.jpg

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'll never do that again unless you pay me $20. $20 for me to watch them slack off. $50 for them to come in second place. $100 to watch the first puck drop to last.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i am joining the boycott but i am still watching the games so ic an let everyone who is boycotting know how bad the team is

let me start w/ my report from tonight: the team is bad

ur welcome all

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Perhaps I was just paying closer attention, but I thought Gleason looked worse last night than almost all of last season. Can't skate, got deked aplenty, and had that horrible after-the-whistle check that caused us to be down another PP goal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Perhaps I was just paying closer attention, but I thought Gleason looked worse last night than almost all of last season. Can't skate, got deked aplenty, and had that horrible after-the-whistle check that caused us to be down another PP goal.

He sucked 2 years ago, he sucked last year in Carolina, he sucked last year in Toronto...not sure why this team thought he would be better this year.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I've said this before, but if Murphy isn't at LEAST as good as Harrison or especially Gleason, then we're wasting time on him. Sadly, I think he's better than both of those guys is every way. Even if he goofs, he's got the wheels to catch up. Gleason, will just fall down.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's odd to me people are piling on Gleason, when it was Harrison who turned in the McBain'esque performance.

1-0 Cam lets one go 5 hole after Harrison idiocy causes 5-3.
2-0 Sekera loses backdoor on PK (no gleason)
3-0 Bounce off guy Harrison is covering (gleason in box for selfishly sticking up for teammate so hfboards won't call team wussies)
3-1 Faulk scores (PP Gleason draws with big hit on conacher)
4-1 Harrison loses race to puck despite 10 stride lead then cleanly loses battle on boards
5-1 Cam lets in softie (no gleason)

I thought Tim looked like a physical bottom pairing Dman out there. Unfortunately, he was paired with Harrison who looked like a low end bottom 6 AHL dman who may have taken various illicit drugs before the game.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Harrison was definitely worse, but I don't think Gleason was that good either. You have to fault him for either the hit on Conacher or the one on Clutterbuck since they were nearly mirror images of each other: someone sticking up for a teammate a questionable hit.

I nickname this defensive pairing "Superbad".

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Harrison was definitely worse, but I don't think Gleason was that good either. You have to fault him for either the hit on Conacher or the one on Clutterbuck since they were nearly mirror images of each other: someone sticking up for a teammate a questionable hit.

I nickname this defensive pairing "Superbad".

Hmmm, so we already had "McLovin" at the draft, and now we have "Superbad" on defense. I like the way this is going.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's odd to me people are piling on Gleason, when it was Harrison who turned in the McBain'esque performance.

1-0 Cam lets one go 5 hole after Harrison idiocy causes 5-3.
2-0 Sekera loses backdoor on PK (no gleason)
3-0 Bounce off guy Harrison is covering (gleason in box for selfishly sticking up for teammate so hfboards won't call team wussies)
3-1 Faulk scores (PP Gleason draws with big hit on conacher)
4-1 Harrison loses race to puck despite 10 stride lead then cleanly loses battle on boards
5-1 Cam lets in softie (no gleason)

I thought Tim looked like a physical bottom pairing Dman out there. Unfortunately, he was paired with Harrison who looked like a low end bottom 6 AHL dman who may have taken various illicit drugs before the game.

I'm with you Wally (just call me the Beav). Gleason didn't look that bad at all and you can damn him all you want for those hits, the first may have been over the top, but the second was well deserved and probably not a penalty later in the year. Timmay looked quicker and more situationally aware all game. Unfortunately he was paired with somebody's grandmother...who clearly never played hockey.

Jay Harrison was a disgrace last night and from what I saw in the preseason, he merely kept his streak alive....and Cam Ward was a mess last night. As I said on another board, if the Isle had been on net with a few more shots, this game would have been 8-3. You'd see Cam's head jerk around after the puck had flown past the net. He just wasn't seeing it last night.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Man, some of you are a ****ing joke. Ignore the name, and Gleason looked like a relatively competent bottom pairing defenseman. Crucify him for a somewhat bad penalty, yet worship Sekera despite his blown coverage on multiple occasions (a la his ****** stretch last season). Do I think he should have been re-signed? No, Bellemore could have filled that role. But he wasn't nearly as bad (last night) as some are trying to make him out to be. Harrison on the other hand...

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 1m1 minute ago
Hainsey and Bellemore will be the extras on defense for the #Canes as Ryan Murphy draws into the lineup.

?????????????????????????????????????????

Boycott Game #1

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Ok that's pretty bad. Granted, I was half paying attention to the game, but I thought I saw Hainsey take a couple of shifts off. Not to the point he'd be benched, though. Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad