The Gameday Poster Thread

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Last games and tonights

C8AeAVgXwAApecL.jpg:large

orvr8kanudpy.png

aero8279

Aug 31, 2008
If anyone would be willing to pick up an extra poster for tomorrow please let me know. I'll throw in a few extra bucks too besides price and shipping.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Last games and tonights

C8AeAVgXwAApecL.jpg:large

orvr8kanudpy.png

I just noticed that the poster for the Winnipeg game has New Jersey around the Black Flag bars logo, only they're in red. I thought that was pretty cool. A very odd and out there, but very cool choice. Since most people who listen to mainstream rock music, have never heard of Black Flag.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I just noticed that the poster for the Winnipeg game has New Jersey around the Black Flag bars logo, only they're in red. I thought that was pretty cool. A very odd and out there, but very cool choice. Since most people who listen to mainstream rock music, have never heard of Black Flag.

Yeah. Black Flag bars, DEVILS at the top in the KISS font, DEVILS underneath the bars in the Metallica font. Probably more that I'm missing...

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
black flag logo was designed by raymond pettibon (brother of greg ginn of the band)…and what a great logo it is…..its absolutely perfect.

i first saw his artwork in the gatefold of minutemen's double nickels album

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah. Black Flag bars, DEVILS at the top in the KISS font, DEVILS underneath the bars in the Metallica font. Probably more that I'm missing...
It's so weird for me to see that logo, as when I was a teenager, I only knew 4 or 5 people that listened to them and they were all my friends. A few years later, Rollins had a couple radio hits with his own band. For an underground band, Black Flag is one of the more known about hardcore bands, so it's not like they're completely obscure. I just thought that was really cool to see. I figure that more people probably recognize Henry Rollins from a few movie roles and that talk show he used to have on IFC and not because of Black Flag.

Funny connection to Newark though. Dez Cadena is actually from Newark and supposedly lives in the Ironbound section to this day. I wonder if that played into it at all? Perhaps he's a fan of the team and since no one really knows who he is (he left the band fairly early on), he goes to games fairly frequently and remains incognito? Who knows?
black flag logo was designed by raymond pettibon (brother of greg ginn of the band)…and what a great logo it is…..its absolutely perfect.

i first saw his artwork in the gatefold of minutemen's double nickels album
He's done quite a few albums artwork.

I used to have a Black Flag t-shirt with the bars. It's probably 25 years old by now and 2 sizes too big. I just went through my closet and saw a bunch of my ancient shirts. All the shirts that were once black are now mud brown from the sun fading them. I literally wore some of those shirts for 20+ years.

Henry Killinger

Sep 25, 2006
Roanoke, VA
It's so weird for me to see that logo, as when I was a teenager, I only knew 4 or 5 people that listened to them and they were all my friends. A few years later, Rollins had a couple radio hits with his own band. For an underground band, Black Flag is one of the more known about hardcore bands, so it's not like they're completely obscure. I just thought that was really cool to see. I figure that more people probably recognize Henry Rollins from a few movie roles and that talk show he used to have on IFC and not because of Black Flag.

Funny connection to Newark though. Dez Cadena is actually from Newark and supposedly lives in the Ironbound section to this day. I wonder if that played into it at all? Perhaps he's a fan of the team and since no one really knows who he is (he left the band fairly early on), he goes to games fairly frequently and remains incognito? Who knows?

He's done quite a few albums artwork.

I used to have a Black Flag t-shirt with the bars. It's probably 25 years old by now and 2 sizes too big. I just went through my closet and saw a bunch of my ancient shirts. All the shirts that were once black are now mud brown from the sun fading them. I literally wore some of those shirts for 20+ years.

Haha! I just saw my old black flag shirt the other day while looking for something completely different. Amazing that such a simple logo like that holds up so well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha! I just saw my old black flag shirt the other day while looking for something completely different. Amazing that such a simple logo like that holds up so well.

It's definitely one of the coolest logos. I like the Dead Kennedys logo as well. Some bands definitely have some lames ones though.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I'm cleaning out the apartment and found two posters fro the Detroit game on Friday 11/25 that I want to sell. Anyone interested? $10 each. I'm in Manhattan, but can ship if you pay for it.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Holy ****, I can't believe I missed that rock poster one with the Black Flag bars logo on it.

I actually have the bars as a tatttoo lol.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holy ****, I can't believe I missed that rock poster one with the Black Flag bars logo on it.

I actually have the bars as a tatttoo lol.

I'm not sure if many people know this, but as I mentioned in another post in this thread a few months back, Dez from Black Flag is from Newark and apparently still lives there.

I think it would be pretty hilarious if he were a Devils fan and frequented games, but no one recognized him or even knew who he was or heard of any of his bands. I don't even know if I'd recognize him today. Not sure if his hair is still really long. I read that he had throat cancer a couple years ago, glad to hear it sounds like he's recovered.

Even though he was only in the band for a minute and literally recorded just a few songs as lead singer, I really enjoy Ron Reyes as a vocalist more than Dez (and probably Keith Morris) and maybe even more than some of Henry's stuff, though I'd definitely rank Henry higher, due to the much larger body of work. I always thought it would have been cool if Ron Reyes was the vocalist for all the pre- Henry Rollins era EP's. Jealous Again is probably my favorite Black Flag release, if not only because Ron Reyes does lead vocals on 4 of the 5 songs.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I'm not sure if many people know this, but as I mentioned in another post in this thread a few months back, Dez from Black Flag is from Newark and apparently still lives there.

I think it would be pretty hilarious if he were a Devils fan and frequented games, but no one recognized him or even knew who he was or heard of any of his bands. I don't even know if I'd recognize him today. Not sure if his hair is still really long. I read that he had throat cancer a couple years ago, glad to hear it sounds like he's recovered.

Even though he was only in the band for a minute and literally recorded just a few songs as lead singer, I really enjoy Ron Reyes as a vocalist more than Dez (and probably Keith Morris) and maybe even more than some of Henry's stuff, though I'd definitely rank Henry higher, due to the much larger body of work. I always thought it would have been cool if Ron Reyes was the vocalist for all the pre- Henry Rollins era EP's. Jealous Again is probably my favorite Black Flag release, if not only because Ron Reyes does lead vocals on 4 of the 5 songs.

Yea, I was aware that Dez is from the state. And you're right, I think he still does live here, especially since he is apart of Only's version of the Misfits. That actually would be funny if he was and showed up to games.

I actually met Dez last summer, along with Morris, Dukowski, Stevenson and the guitarist from the Descendents when Flag was playing in Asbury at the Pony for Punk Rock Bowling. All really cool guys. Still as pissed off as ever lol.

Also, his hair is still long.

Yea, I have a hard time picking which vocalist I like the most, because they all have those few songs that are specifically theirs that they own that no one else can imitate. Dez owns Police Story and American Waste. Keith Nervous Breakdown and Fix Me. Reyes Revenge, Depression and Jealous Again. Rollins, My War, Rise Above, Best One Yet etc. But yea, Rollins does have the body of work to choose more songs from than the other guys. Too bad Ginn is a ***** and still is. The guy ruins every relationship he has, specifically ones relating to the band, including the one with his own brother. I also met Kira, who was really cool. She actually worked on Mad Max Fury Road and got an Oscar for it.

Each lineup / era brought something different.

For me, the best line up was Ginn, Dukowski, Rollins, Dez and Chuck Biscuits. The 82 Demo that they made actually sounds better, especially production wise, than what they wound up releasing on My War and on. Shame that Biscuits and Rollins didn't get along and that they never released a proper album. Going by the soundboard recordings I have heard of them, they were a force live.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea, I was aware that Dez is from the state. And you're right, I think he still does live here, especially since he is apart of Only's version of the Misfits. That actually would be funny if he was and showed up to games.

I actually met Dez last summer, along with Morris, Dukowski, Stevenson and the guitarist from the Descendents when Flag was playing in Asbury at the Pony for Punk Rock Bowling. All really cool guys. Still as pissed off as ever lol.

Also, his hair is still long.

Yea, I have a hard time picking which vocalist I like the most, because they all have those few songs that are specifically theirs that they own that no one else can imitate. Dez owns Police Story and American Waste. Keith Nervous Breakdown and Fix Me. Reyes Revenge, Depression and Jealous Again. Rollins, My War, Rise Above, Best One Yet etc. But yea, Rollins does have the body of work to choose more songs from than the other guys. Too bad Ginn is a ***** and still is. The guy ruins every relationship he has, specifically ones relating to the band, including the one with his own brother. I also met Kira, who was really cool. She actually worked on Mad Max Fury Road and got an Oscar for it.

Each lineup / era brought something different.

For me, the best line up was Ginn, Dukowski, Rollins, Dez and Chuck Biscuits. The 82 Demo that they made actually sounds better, especially production wise, than what they wound up releasing on My War and on. Shame that Biscuits and Rollins didn't get along and that they never released a proper album. Going by the soundboard recordings I have heard of them, they were a force live.

I was looking at their tour dates and they have none, but I found the archive and saw they played right near me last July. I probably would have gone to see them in St Petersburg or if they played in Tampa. I saw Rollins and Morris play Black Flag songs back in 03 in Jersey. I can't even remember if it was in Asbury Park or not and I don't even remember who played in the band. I think it was just the Rollins Band playing Black Flag songs with Henry and Keith singing.

The only reason I wish I was at least 5-10 years older was to have gotten to see bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag, DK, The Clash, etc, play with their original or prime lineups.

I agree with you on that being their best lineup. Chuck Biscuits is actually a really good drummer, probably more talented than most of the drummers in punk bands.

I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of later Black Flag. From My War onward. My War is one of my favorite songs, but the rest of the album is just okay. Drinking And Driving is another one of my favorites from the later era. I was playing it in the car outside a crowded local convenience store a couple Saturday nights ago. I can only imagine that people who don't know anything about Henry Rollins probably think that it's a pro-drinking and driving song.:laugh:

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Too bad Ginn is a ***** and still is. The guy ruins every relationship he has, specifically ones relating to the band, including the one with his own brother.

Don't forget Greg Ginn also screwed over many bands that were on his SST label, including my favorite 1980s indie rock band, Hüsker Dü. (When I say that, I do not mean to include the crappy production job by Spot on New Day Rising.) According to various accounts, SST owes that band literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Bands like Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth were able to buy back their masters from SST and get those SST albums reissued on different labels.

Even though I'm not a big Black Flag fan (though I still smile when I hear "TV Party"), I did notice the Black Flag bars (and Metallica font) on the poster immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad