Speculation: The Future... 2017-18 and further

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Sobotka is more useful than Gomez and Upshall (but not nearly as cheap). His negotiated year was 2.5M iirc. Its not trivial, but its in the ballpark of what Ott makes (or slightly less) for a 4th line utility role. If Sobotka came back I'd want to part with Ott. (But I think Ott has been very good in his role this season so far. No complaints.)

At this point, I would want Armstrong to continue with his prior position: If Sobotka wants to come back and fulfill that contract, great. The team will welcome him. But there is no discussion about trading him or some magic way that he becomes UFA without fulfilling that year.

I think we only let Sobotka back if both Ott and Berglund are gone. Sobotka is the more useful, and less expensive version of Berglund, and the superior player to Ott. If we don't have Backes, he takes the 3C and moves up with injuries and as players need a break. He would be an excellent fit and a good coach for Barbashev for the following year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How much do you guys think Gooch's next contract will be for? I assume it will be a bridge deal, but what kind of number do you think we're looking at, barring he keeps improving with no serious injury.
Well Goc is over in Europe now so it's kinda hard to say. I don't think he'll ever be back with the Blues.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
How much do you guys think Gooch's next contract will be for? I assume it will be a bridge deal, but what kind of number do you think we're looking at, barring he keeps improving with no serious injury.

If he keeps progressing, I think we give him Shattenkirk money (4.25AAV), but might even pay more if he's looking like an absolute #1D in order to get the term better than Shatty's deal. At this point, Shatty or JBo are moved, or Parayko becomes a LHD.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
If he keeps progressing, I think we give him Shattenkirk money (4.25AAV), but might even pay more if he's looking like an absolute #1D in order to get the term better than Shatty's deal. At this point, Shatty or JBo are moved, or Parayko becomes a LHD.

Huh? Why wouldn't he get a bridge deal like the usual Armstrong preference?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Huh? Why wouldn't he get a bridge deal like the usual Armstrong preference?

"If he keeps progressing" he'll be an already established #3, and I think at that point we go the Shattenkirk route. I would LOVE for him to get a bridge deal though - it would be ideal. I don't think we'll be able to keep him if we low-ball him because he's an RFA. Defensemen like Parayko (who, in this scenario is further established) don't come along often enough for someone not to try and Dougie Hamilton him.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Everyone assumes the Sobotka that comes back will be the same player that left. I'm not sure that's such a trivial issue.

Could be true - his work-ethic might not be the same.

We'll have to wait and see, but he's getting plenty of minutes in the KHL as a top-level player, I believe, so maybe he'll be more skilled/

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Lets think about couple minutes Army and Hitch thinking process. Play this game Hitch will get another 1-year contract. Remember build up how Army and Hitch would do.

Which players you guys think Army would sign next summer:

Backes, Brouwer, Ott, Brodziak, Upshall, Gomez, Gunnarsson, Butler?

(Jaskin RFA), (Rattie RFA) (Schwartz RFA) (Edmundson RFA)?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Lets think about couple minutes Army and Hitch thinking process. Play this game Hitch will get another 1-year contract. Remember build up how Army and Hitch would do.

Which players you guys think Army would sign next summer:

Backes, Brouwer, Ott, Brodziak, Upshall, Gomez, Gunnarsson, Butler?

(Jaskin RFA), (Rattie RFA) (Schwartz RFA) (Edmundson RFA)?

I expect we'll try and bring back Backes, Ott and Brodziak. Probably Butler too, since he is happy with the AHL/NHL depth role. Whether Backes and Ott come back will be down to their contract expectations, but I do think Ott will be back.

Jaškin is signed next season, he isn't a RFA until 2017. There is no doubt we'll be signing Schwartz, Rattie and Edmundson.

Edit: Ignore me on Jaškin, he is a RFA at the end of the season. For some reason I thought the first year of his ELC was eligible to slide.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I expect we'll try and bring back Backes, Ott and Brodziak. Probably Butler too, since he is happy with the AHL/NHL depth role. Whether Backes and Ott come back will be down to their contract expectations, but I do think Ott will be back.

Jaškin is signed next season, he isn't a RFA until 2017. There is no doubt we'll be signing Schwartz, Rattie and Edmundson.

Edit: Ignore me on Jaškin, he is a RFA at the end of the season. For some reason I thought the first year of his ELC was eligible to slide.

I recall Jaskin signing a one year extension over the summer.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The only one guaranteed to be gone is Gunnarsson. He just simply won't be needed due to his lack of effectiveness and our youth on D.

Guys like Butler, Gomez, Upshall could be back as depth guys and will only cost you pennies so it doesn't really matter one way or another. I'd say Upshall and Butler will have a better chance than Gomez though.

So far the only one I think I definitely will want back is Brodziak. He's affordable and will only be 32 next year so he'll be a very effective 4th-line center for a while longer.

I don't want Backes back at all. Brouwer we probably won't be able to afford, and Ott I don't see the need for but if he's cheap then I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I expect we'll try and bring back Backes, Ott and Brodziak.

What I calculated its either Ott+Berglund+Gunnar or Backes. So I guess its quite small change Backes stay or he'll take very cheap home contract.

Going to be interesting who gets Backes on free agent market if he's asking +6mill.$, going to be deep next summer on UFA market

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Hey guys. Bruins fan here

I'm wondering what the deal is with Carl Gunnarsson. I don't know much about him other than he's a UFA at years end. Is he a top 4 caliber Dman?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
For what it's worth, NHL numbers has Jaskin's extension kicking in for next year.

That's what I thought was the case, and the original Capgeek site had his first ELC year sliding as well.

However, I looked at it and I'm pretty sure that is wrong. If we'd have signed him at the start of the 12/13 season and left him in juniors, I think his contract would have been eligible to slide. We signed him at the end of the 12/13 season, and the date for calculating his age moved forward a year and his contract wasn't eligible to slide. So he is playing under the 1 year extension just now.

What I calculated its either Ott+Berglund+Gunnar or Backes. So I guess its quite small change Backes stay or he'll take very cheap home contract.

Going to be interesting who gets Backes on free agent market if he's asking +6mill.$, going to be deep next summer on UFA market

We've been trying to move Berglund and not had much luck. I wonder if that will change, because his NTC likely includes most of the teams that could afford to take him caphit.

I'm expecting Ott back simply because I think his expectations will change. When guys like Brodziak are getting $900k and you look at all the players who are still UFA's, then Ott is probably looking at half his current salary. At that point, he's providing some value.

I'm wondering what the deal is with Carl Gunnarsson. I don't know much about him other than he's a UFA at years end. Is he a top 4 caliber Dman?

Yeah, he's a top-4 defenseman. The problem is that he hasn't been able to get a solid run of games at 100% since he has been here. I think some Blues fans are overly critical of his play, but when we've got a talented defenseman in the AHL, that's to be expected.

He won't be back next season, but we aren't likely to be looking to dump him this season. If he's moved, it will be part of a hockey trade.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

On a contender, Carl is definitely a middle pairing Dman, and depending on depth, could be more of a #4 than a #3. On bottom-feeders, I could easily see him being a #2, but not a spectacular one. He plays a very solid defensive game, but is prone to injury and doesn't always recover well. He's a great partner for a more involved Dman, and is good at making up for his partner's mistakes.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

He is a good #4 D. He was actually a top 2 in Toronto, but that was Toronto. On our team with Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester and some good young guys, especially Parayko, he is our least impressive D. He is a good defensive guy. Offensively, he can move the puck. Gets it out of danger quickly and smoothly. He has good passing skill from the back end. He isn't going to pummel people, doesn't really play a physical game. He had a lot of hits in Toronto, but I think they are more generous with their hit stats. Lot of nudges. He generally has great stick work and positioning. However, when we got him, he was recovering from a hip surgery. He has never fully recovered yet. This has actually caused him to be less mobile and so he is more often out of position. He doesn't have the speed he thinks he has to recover. Overall though, he is a solid 4 who can play a good defensive game. When he at his best, its a quiet game. You may not notice all the little things he does. When you do notice him, he messed up which happens a bit more since the injury.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
2016-17 season

I calculated a bit. Idk next year prediction on total salary cap, but I guess its around 72-74mill.$

Leaved out: Ott, Berglund, Gunnar, Brouwer, (Backes)
Added: Sobotka

Question: We know Backes have https://www.reddit.com/r/stlouisblu...id_backes_rejected_55_million_contract_offer/, but we might afford to give him contract. Could Sobotka fit Backes' role defensively and shutdown, offensively no if Backes out? Where we use that extra 11mil.l$? Berglund, Ott, Brouwer?

Code:
Schwartz (6,000) - Stastny (7,000) - Tarasenko (7,500)
Steen (5.800) - Lehterä (4,700) - Fabbri (0,894)
XXXXXXXXXXX - Sobotka (2,725) - Jaskin (2,000)
XXXXXXXXXXX - Brodziak (0.900) - Reaves (1,125)

38,644mill.$

Lindbohm (0,636) - Pietro (6,500)			
Edmundson ((1,250))  - Shattery (4,250)
Jbo (5,400) - Parayko (0,925)
Bortuzzo (1,050)

19,611mill.$

Allen (2,350)						
Elliott (2,500)

Total: 63,105mill.$

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I calculated a bit. Idk next year prediction on total salary cap, but I guess its around 72-74mill.$

Leaved out: Ott, Berglund, Gunnar, Brouwer, (Backes)
Added: Sobotka

Question: We know Backes have https://www.reddit.com/r/stlouisblu...id_backes_rejected_55_million_contract_offer/, but we might afford to give him contract. Could Sobotka fit Backes' role defensively and shutdown, offensively no if Backes out? Where we use that extra 11mil.l$? Berglund, Ott, Brouwer?

Code:
Schwartz (6,000) - Stastny (7,000) - Tarasenko (7,500)
Steen (5.800) - Lehterä (4,700) - Fabbri (0,894)
XXXXXXXXXXX - Sobotka (2,725) - Jaskin (2,000)
XXXXXXXXXXX - Brodziak (0.900) - Reaves (1,125)

38,644mill.$

Lindbohm (0,636) - Pietro (6,500)			
Edmundson ((1,250))  - Shattery (4,250)
Jbo (5,400) - Parayko (0,925)
Bortuzzo (1,050)

19,611mill.$

Allen (2,350)						
Elliott (2,500)

Total: 63,105mill.$

Sobotka could be 3C but it would be a significant step back from Backes there. Also, Fabbri should slot at 3rd line wing with a top 6 winger needed. Frankly, maybe Jaskin should be 3rd line too.

Its not that either guy would actually play 3rd line all the time necessarily, but that there should be more reliable options on the roster to fill out the top 6.

I'm expecting them to re-sign Backes now. (Is it just me or does he look faster lately? I think its because Jaskin and Lehtera look so slow, suddenly Backes is skating and looks like a fast guy.)

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
I'm starting to warm up the idea of keeping Backes, so long as he accepts the Plekanec contract (2 years, $12m). Otherwise, we need to walk away.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not. For all of the people bashing Brouwer and his numbers (even though I'm one of them), Backes' even strength numbers aren't really any better.

But I'm sure someone will bring up a post about how he's shutting down the other team and doing his job. That's always my favorite when the team can't score. Absolutely hilarious.

The only way I would keep him is if Lehtera is dealt. But I do not want both of them here next season.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm not. For all of the people bashing Brouwer and his numbers (even though I'm one of them), Backes' even strength numbers aren't really any better.

But I'm sure someone will bring up a post about how he's shutting down the other team and doing his job. That's always my favorite when the team can't score. Absolutely hilarious.

The only way I would keep him is if Lehtera is dealt. But I do not want both of them here next season.

Is keeping the puck out of our own net not something that we need to do? Backes has always been better than Brouwer by a significant margin. He's also a traditionally slow starter and I suspect by season's end his numbers are going to be a lot better than Brouwer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad