Speculation: The Future... 2017-18 and further

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is keeping the puck out of our own net not something that we need to do? Backes has always been better than Brouwer by a significant margin. He's also a traditionally slow starter and I suspect by season's end his numbers are going to be a lot better than Brouwer.
I'm not saying he's not better than Brouwer but what I am saying is Backes strictly keeping the puck out of our own net while not scoring while we need him to has never gotten us anywhere. Ever. Yet people are continuously okay with that being his role for some reason.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm not saying he's not better than Brouwer but what I am saying is Backes strictly keeping the puck out of our own net while not scoring while we need him to has never gotten us anywhere. Ever. Yet people are continuously okay with that being his role for some reason.

My point being that, Backes can't do it alone. The way your point is coming off, makes it seem as if Backes' lack of offense is the reason we lost. We've got a lot more issues than just Backes.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My point being that, Backes can't do it alone. The way your point is coming off, makes it seem as if Backes' lack of offense is the reason we lost. We've got a lot more issues than just Backes.
I totally agree and wasn't trying to make it seem that way but he's gotta step it up and it seems like sometimes he gets a pass just because he's good defensively. Sure we'd all like Jaskin to but he's also a 22-year old kid that we probably, looking back on it, overrated.

Backes, Lehtera, Brouwer are the main guys we need more from. But Brouwer was brought here in a bad move which wasn't his fault, he is what he is and we all knew that, so I'm not expecting him to do much. Therefore it's down to 2 guys, the centers, that right now I'm not too pleased with what they are providing. That position also happens to be the weakest in our organization so it just maximizes the issue.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015

He's not saying Backes should be doing all of the defesive work alone. The entire reason Army invested in prime defensemen such as Petro, Shatty, J-Bow, etc. is to feel secure in that position. Now, Hitch wants Backes to act as a 3rd defensemen essentially, and that strategy isn't optimal. A forward's primary responsibility is to score goals. His secondary responsibility is to play sound defense. A DEFENSEMAN'S primary responsibility is to play DEFENSE. His secondary responsibility is to contribute offensively. It's time to move Backes back to RW so he can be the Blues' Dustin Brown. If the 2012 LA Kings used Brown as their 1C like Hitch uses Backes, Brown likely could have never been the catalyst that helped the Kings win the cup. Fortunately, the Kings had Kopitar and Richards as their top 2 centers.

When healthy, the forward lines should be:

Steen-Stastny-Backes
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Berglund-Brouwer
Jaskin-Brodziak-Reaves

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I lurked our roster end of 2016-17 season and that off-season. Steen, Berglund, Elliott and Allen are the biggest names whom contract will be end (Allen RFA).

Lets not talk about yet Elliott and Allen 'cus that is really hard to predict in current situation, but what about Steen and Berglund?
I don't believe we'll trade Berglund this off-season what ever happends in this season, but after next year? When his contract will end he'll be 29-years old. If he stays and is same type of player and hasn't decline yet, do you see need for him and what kind of contract he'd get in Blues?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Tough to predict. With a potential expansion draft, trades, contracts, free agents its hard to make a full 20 man prediction. However, here's my thoughts.
2016 Expiring Contracts: Troy Brouwer, David Backes, Steve Ott, Kyle Brodziak, Scott Upshall, Magnus Paajarvi (RFA) and Jaden Schwartz (RFA)
I imagine we resign Schwartz, long term (6+) for roughly $5-$6 per season. If Armstrong brings back Upshall, Brodziak for $1 [million] or less on a 1 year deal, I wouldn't mind. Good 4th line guys. With Reaves under contract, I don't see a need for Ott. As for Brouwer and Backes I think it depends on the playoffs. I like Brouwer, I think if we can get him inked for 2-3 years at $2.5-$3 I'd like that. As for Backes, I think some of the younger guys like Pietrangelo should be our captain now, it's likely he makes $5-$6 million in UFA, I wouldn't want him for that. Maybe around $3-$4. I think Sobotka would a cheaper option who could do a good job on our 3rd unit if Backes is asking for too much. I'll assume Backes does not resign. Paajarvi is likely let go.

2017 Expiring Contracts: Alex Steen, Kevin Shattenkirk, Patrik Berglund, Brian Elliott, Robert Bortuzzo, Jake Allen (RFA), Colton Parayko (RFA), Petteri Lindbohm (RFA)
Steen for $5.8 is a lot. I'd say he's worth it but due to Fabbri and Schwartz at LW, I think I'd prefer him at $4-$5 per year around 2-3 years. Not sure if we resign him however, depends on our situation. Kevin Shattenkirk is [very] likely traded this offseason. Berglund will depend on Jaskin, Barbashev, development. If those two are good to go [for top 9 roles] we don't need him. I think he is slightly overpaid, like Brouwer $2.5-$3 would be preferred. Bortuzzo may not be resigned due to the defense prospects we have that could fill his roster spot. Colton will be resigned, if we resign him this offseason maybe we get him for a Klingberg type deal, 6-7 years at $4.25-$5 per year. Lindbohm will likely be resigned, he is a young guy with some potential, if he still isn't proven or can't crack our lineup, may deal him for a pick or forward. Especially with Schmaltz, Walman, Dunn, potentially coming up. Allen and Elliott will depend on the rest of the playoffs and throughout next year. If we go deep with Elliott this playoff, I wouldn't mind signing him for 2-3 years at $3-$4 per year (still hasn't played more then 46 games with us). Elliott has been scrutinized a lot but works hard and always seem to show resilience. Allen is also very solid, if he proves the better option then we go with him and let Brian walk. However considering age, he may want $5+ for long term. So Elliott may be cheaper option. Though you all know our goaltending is a tough situation.

With that said, and current players, [upcoming] prospects, I'll project what I can. All unknowns will be listed as ***.
Schwartz-***-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Stastny-Brouwer
Steen-Sobotka-Jaskin
***-Barbashev-Reaves

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Schmaltz

Elliott/Allen-***

Bouwmeester will either be dealt as a cap dump, lossed via expansion draft, or [hopefully not] bought out.

1st Line Center: Acquired in trade for Shattenkirk, UFA (not likely)
4th Liners: Upshall, Brodziak or different players acquired via UFA

Backup Goalie: Goalie in system comes up [Husso, Binnington, Copley], or UFA

There are some flaws, for ex. What if prospects are acquired via Shattenkirk trade. What if Jaskin isn't ready for a top 9 role [or Barbashev even NHL ready]. What if Dunn isn't NHL ready, what if Walman is.

So give your thoughts, is this realistic to you?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I highly doubt we can get a 1C for Shattenkirk on a one year deal.

If he's dealt, prior to the deal, it's likely he confirms he would resign long term. Not too often does a team trade for a guy like Shattenkirk in the offseason without knowing whether that player [Shattenkirk in this case] would resign or not.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well since you asked, no it's not realistic at all. No chance both Dunn and Schmaltz make the team, and Barbashev is centering the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad