Salary Cap: The Free Agents

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He brought up Bolland's "bad back" because JJ said in a blog the other day that he's heard from a "source" that Bolland's back is what's keeping him out.

Other than that, there's been no reason to suspect Bolland's back has been bad since he had surgery in 2009.

Such BS. I had never heard of this JJ guy until I read about him here and I certainly don’t read his column. Anyone that has had back issues at a young age knows that chances are very high that a recurrence can pop up anytime.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
With Stalberg you offer him a multi year deal now with cap hit around 2.9. As much as you can go in the 1st year with the new cap rules, 3 year deal. They are going to have to launch or buy out Monty, Frolik and Olesz. No big deal there.

I honestly don't think Kruger or Bickell can command too much at this point, of course if the Hawks go on to win the cup and they shine you'll have an issue keeping them. Kruger is a RFA.... right?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
With Stalberg you offer him a multi year deal now with cap hit around 2.9. As much as you can go in the 1st year with the new cap rules, 3 year deal. They are going to have to launch or buy out Monty, Frolik and Olesz. No big deal there.

I honestly don't think Kruger or Bickell can command too much at this point, of course if the Hawks go on to win the cup and they shine you'll have an issue keeping them. Kruger is a RFA.... right?

Kruger and Leddy are both RFAs after this season.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Leddy is a priority, personally I low ball Kruger and see where it ends up. I like him but a 4th line PK guy is not going to get an offer sheet.

I like him too and would like to see him back, but I don't want a repeat of what we did with Frolik but this time with Kruger.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Stan made a mistake with Frolik and he learned from it. Krüger won't get much money

Well in Bowman's defense, Frolik did have two 20-goal seasons...it just didn't materialize here...Kruger has not even come close to that so he should be able to be signed at a lower price.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
that's true, but Frolik had a bad season that year and only showed up in the POs. I think Bowman let him fool by the PO series he had against the Nucks.

Krüger will get around 2 years 1.2 per year or 3 years 1.5 a year

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Bickell and Stalberg costs are going up as season goes forward

At this point they are going to lose at least one of them, maybe both. Would rather have Stalberg's speed & size. Bickell is solid physical player but we shouldn't forget that last year he was terrible. HOWEVER, he will be the cheaper player to sign no doubt about it.

Hawks will have to trade Fro to keep Stalberg IMO.

But Saad will only be better next year and perhaps Pirri can come in.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Good thing the Hawks have Hayes/Morin in AHL and Danault ready to compete for job next year

Smith too; he is a gamer and dirt cheap. Signing Stalberg must be the priority. Danault + Smith + Carbomb as a fourth line next year would cost just over 2.3 million--i.e basically what Frolik is getting. If we could move Frolik that would open up some much needed space. Agree with those saying there is no need to throw money at Kruger. He has been great, but he does not bring anything unique like VS does.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Good thing the Hawks have Hayes/Morin in AHL and Danault ready to compete for job next year

Danault will be ~Saad's age coming into this season? I'm guessing at least half year of Danault in Rockford.

Yeah hopefully 1-2 of Morin-Pirri-Hayes will be able to keep up in the NHL. I would look to Pirri to replace whoever we lose on third line. Having two guys who can play C on same line is not a bad thing, certainly.

Saad/Toews/Hoss
Sharp/Bolland/Kane
Bickell/Pirri/Shaw
(Bollig or Hayes or Morin)/Kruger/Carcillo

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hayes and Smith are NHL ready. Morin is probably NHL ready or close as well. Have no problem losing Bickell to UFA as I think those guys can replace what he brings. I think Stalberg should be re-signed. His speed goes really well with our team. I'm thinking a 4 year deal with a reasonable cap hit. Danault will probably need a year in the AHL. Maybe he'll be a mid-season call up but with the Hawks prospect depth at forward of players who are older and looking NHL-ready there won't be much need for him (obviously if he knocks the socks off in training camp he may warrant a spot regardless).

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Hawks need to do what they did with Bickell....find an AHL player they like and offer them a multiyear, one way deal at the league minimum. This basically guarantees the player they will be in the NHL the next 3 years and the Hawks get a very cheap player to plug into the roster.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The Hawks need to do what they did with Bickell....find an AHL player they like and offer them a multiyear, one way deal at the league minimum. This basically guarantees the player they will be in the NHL the next 3 years and the Hawks get a very cheap player to plug into the roster.

Bickell's shot is a unique and finely developed skill. It'll be difficult to find that again. But I do agree on the contract though, maybe convince Morin to do it.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Bickell's shot is a unique and finely developed skill. It'll be difficult to find that again. But I do agree on the contract though, maybe convince Morin to do it.

Agree Bickell's shot is great, but maybe Hayes or Morin or Smith can come in and work their butts off on the 3rd line and put up similar production at a cut rate price.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agree Bickell's shot is great, but maybe Hayes or Morin or Smith can come in and work their butts off on the 3rd line and put up similar production at a cut rate price.

Yeah, I think Morin could for sure. It takes a real team guy to sign a contract like that though. Hopefully Morin is his own man and makes a decision like that instead of getting brainwashed by his agent.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I think Morin could for sure. It takes a real team guy to sign a contract like that though. Hopefully Morin is his own man and makes a decision like that instead of getting brainwashed by his agent.

Not a team guy, a guy thats betting on himself. Morin can spend the next 2 years making an AHL salary or be guaranteed a spot on the team....thats exactly the situation Bickell was facing and he chose to be in the NHL instead of getting shuttled back and forth between Rockford and Chicago.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Not a team guy, a guy thats betting on himself. Morin can spend the next 2 years making an AHL salary or be guaranteed a spot on the team....thats exactly the situation Bickell was facing and he chose to be in the NHL instead of getting shuttled back and forth between Rockford and Chicago.

That it came with a guaranteed 10x increase in his salary was a pretty nice perk too.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, the difference between BB and Morin is that cap was very, very tight so like you said, it was his best path to the NHL. In this case, we can afford to pay Morin more, however, one factor with Morin that wasn't there with Bickell is the vastly different competition. Morin has Hayes, Pirri, Danault and others to compete with for a spot. Yeah, betting on himself like you said, any of these guys can do that to separate themselves from the others as far as securing a spot goes. I don't know if we will ever see 3 years again, but 2 years, sure, I could see one of them doing it and I hope it is Morin because I believe he is the best of the group.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, the difference between BB and Morin is that cap was very, very tight so like you said, it was his best path to the NHL. In this case, we can afford to pay Morin more, however, one factor with Morin that wasn't there with Bickell is the vastly different competition. Morin has Hayes, Pirri, Danault and others to compete with for a spot. Yeah, betting on himself like you said, any of these guys can do that to separate themselves from the others as far as securing a spot goes. I don't know if we will ever see 3 years again, but 2 years, sure, I could see one of them doing it and I hope it is Morin because I believe he is the best of the group.

We're going to be pretty tight with the cap again next year, having a guy at a near minimum salary would help out a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad