Salary Cap: The Free Agents

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Bolland is a .76 ppg player in the playoffs over 49 games. Kruger and Shaw have 1 point in 14 games combined.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm not against resigning Vik at all. It's up to him though. He and Bickell are both UFA's. Whichever is more reasonable will stay.

Nothingman*

Bolland is expendable, especially at $3.4m. It's great cause he has value too.

Shaw is a Bolland

Kruger is a Bolland, not physical...but he's certainly not afraid

This is along the lines of what I was thinking too. Shaw is an excellent replacement. We have options and there is no reason to be harnessed to Bolland if there is value in a trade.

I would like to keep Stal but I just think the asking price is going to be too high. In order to keep him you almost have to trade Bolland to do that.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
He is worth it, just not on this team. There just isn't room to add another $3+ mil guy to this roster with the cap coming down.

You may be right. I guess it all depends on how multiple variables work out. Ideally, Frolik can be traded this summer with no NHL salary coming back. If that happens, (and Olesz and Montador are bought out), then the Hawks would be able to pay Stalberg $3M, and still resign all the other players they need to. Then, looking down the road to 2014/15, Bolland may not be resigned but by then the Hawks may have a replacement internally and/or the cap may go up a bit to where the Hawks could resign Bolland if they so choose.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
If he wasn't injury prone, which he is .... and a bad back to boot....not to mention he may have just been concussed again.

I love all the speculation in one post.

No one knows what Bolland's out with. Rumors are rumors are rumors are rumors, and all have them have been started by John Jaeckel.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
I would hate to lose Stalberg. He is mayhem on ice for other teams to have to deal with; totally disruptive.

Nothingman*

He only speculated the concussion. The rest is true and has been what has happened to his injury prone career.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He only speculated the concussion. The rest is true and has been what has happened to his injury prone career.

He brought up Bolland's "bad back" because JJ said in a blog the other day that he's heard from a "source" that Bolland's back is what's keeping him out.

Other than that, there's been no reason to suspect Bolland's back has been bad since he had surgery in 2009.

Nothingman*

But he has had a bad back in the past. I think that is what he said above. Only speculating on the noggin.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
But he has had a bad back in the past. I think that is what he said above. Only speculating on the noggin.

In the distant past. We're talking about a herniated disc, that he had surgery on, coming up on 4 years ago.. and there's been no reason to believe that he's had any problems with his back since the surgery.

If you want to bring up the concussion, to which he's had one, go right ahead.. but there's no reason to bring up a "bad back" when there's nothing to suggest he's has any back problems since his surgery.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If you have back surgery, you're going to have problems with your back the rest of your life

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It's hard for me to understand the feeling of so many Hawk fans regarding Stalberg.

Looking at Stalberg's game since the Hawks acquired him, it is without dispute that he has gotten better every season, including this season over last season. He is better along the boards and in the corners this season. He is better at getting and keeping the puck. His stick handling and passing are better. He is hitting more this season and is a better forechecker. His defense and backchecking have improved and can no longer be seen as liabilities. His quickness is almost on a par with his speed. He is seeing the play better and making better decisions.

The play he made to get the puck to Kane for the tying goal against Detroit was amazing. He out-quicked three Detroit players who were all closer to the puck and made a perfect pass to Kane. Not very many players across the league have the quickness to make that play.

He is on pace for another 20+ goal season (projected 82 games) while playing on the 3rd line. His most effective position is RW but with Kane and Hossa, he isn't going to be in the top-6, but he is the engine that makes the 3rd line go.

Optimistic projections for any of the Hawk's prospects would be to get to the point where Stalberg is right now, and none of them have the speed/size combination Stalberg has.

Why any Hawk fan doesn't think he is worth $3M and just casually writes him off is beyond me. Stalberg has become a very good player and has the potential to keep getting better. It should be a priority to lock him up long term.

Not picking on you and my history shows I've always thought Stalberg was a solid player, but way too much has been put into that pass to Kane. It was a nice play but any net presence worth a damn can do the exact same thing.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
I'm not against resigning Vik at all. It's up to him though. He and Bickell are both UFA's. Whichever is more reasonable will stay.

Stalberg brings more than Bickell and will get more. If the Hawks can move Frolik and get rid of Montador's and Olesz's cap hits then they might be able to sign Stalberg.

With Bolland's injury history it's a big risk to sign him longterm at or around 4.5 mil which he will likely command. He ultimately might be a consequence of roster turnover as he is less valuable to the team going forward than Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

It very well may come down to a future with Hammer or Bolland.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Not picking on you and my history shows I've always thought Stalberg was a solid player, but way too much has been put into that pass to Kane. It was a nice play but any net presence worth a damn can do the exact same thing.

Any net presence worth a damn can react and try to do the same thing - that is true, but the difference is that only Stalberg and a few other players have the quickness to actually complete the play. There was a Detroit defender between Stalberg and the puck who had the same vantage point as Stalberg, plus there were two other Detroit players who were closer to the puck than Stalberg. Stalberg jumped around the first defender and got his stick on the puck before any of the closer Detroit players.

The point is that Stalberg's quickness allowed him to make that play. So, it's not just the quickness of mind to attempt that play - that isn't what is exceptional about it. It's the quickness that is exceptional.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It was a rebound the defender didn't locate.

Stalberg's speed has always been an obvious asset, but the knock on him has been that (1) his brain doesn't play at the same high rate of speed, and (2) he doesn't have good hands. While the play yesterday in and of itself may not be seen as an exceptional play, it should be evidence that (1) he processed the play correctly and reacted quickly enough and (2) he has the right amount of touch on an accurate pass.

I think $3m or even $3.5M is not too much for Stalberg. The only issue that should prevent Stan from resigning him is if other moves can't get done to free up enough cap space or if he demands more than that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Stalberg's speed has always been an obvious asset, but the knock on him has been that (1) his brain doesn't play at the same high rate of speed, and (2) he doesn't have good hands. While the play yesterday in and of itself may not be seen as an exceptional play, it should be evidence that (1) he processed the play correctly and reacted quickly enough and (2) he has the right amount of touch on an accurate pass.

I think $3m or even $3.5M is not too much for Stalberg. The only issue that should prevent Stan from resigning him is if other moves can't get done to free up enough cap space or if he demands more than that.

This is exactly what I mean. 25 made a nice play. Proper defense and somebody who isn't one of the league's best scorers on the other end and it's largely forgettable. His speed has been neutralized somewhat by his role on that line. He's worth 3+, just not on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad