The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I say trade Jones for Johansen (or Ellis ++++ if Poile can do that somehow)

Then trade Smith/Wilson for a change of scenery player.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Id be interested to know if the owners are putting any pressure on Poile. You'd think having a demoralized fan base heading into hosting the ASG would be a bad thing. I have not paid attention to attendance, are we still selling out or is it dropping like we are dropping in the standings?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Id be interested to know if the owners are putting any pressure on Poile. You'd think having a demoralized fan base heading into hosting the ASG would be a bad thing. I have not paid attention to attendance, are we still selling out or is it dropping like we are dropping in the standings?

They are still showing sellouts but they are like the Red Wing sell outs while the seats are paid for there are many with no warm butts in them.

An I think that answers your first question as long as the seats are paid for the ownership group sits on there hands. Honestly I think they are hockey fans with money. Poile has had free rein most every year, the only two instances pressure was put on him was the selloff under Liarpold and the Trotz firing. Unless I have missed something it has been rare for any media about removing Poile now, and very few in the past.

What will it take is the question, will missin the post season this year and missing that revenue do it? Well this will make 3 out of the last 4 to miss. While the organization has been profitable last year it was 24th out of the 24 showing a profit. I would have to look it up again but if memory serves they profited 1.2 mil last season. Missing the playoffs will eat that up so this may be the year or maybe it takes one more. If it were from job performance it should be this year for sure, he has done a number of good things over the years, but his shel life is far gone.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
And for those who think that blockbuster trades don't occur during the season, well I'm going to try prove you wrong:

WPG-BUF trade last Feb. 11

Bogo, Kane for Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia, 2015 1st

NYR-ARZ trade last TDL

Yandle, Summers, 2015 4th for Duclair, Moore, 2015 2nd, 2016 1st

TBL-NYR trade TDL 2014

Callahan, 2015 1st, 2014 2nd for MSL

BUF-STL 28. Feb 2014

The Ryan Miller trade

NYI-BUF 27. Oct 2013

Thomas Vanek for Moulson, 2014 1st, 2015 2nd

BOS-SJS 2005 Nov. 30

The Thornton trade

LAK-CBJ 2012 Feb.23

Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson, Cond 1st

I could go on and on.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hmm, I had a dream last night where my phone buzzed and there was a notification in the Smashville App. We had just traded our 1st round pick of 2016 for Kyle Okposo. I was livid.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Attendance dropped in December, but the thing is football season is over now in Tennessee so Hockey is the only sport going on. That will give them a boost to help even things out. Attendance always picks up and ticket prices generally get a bump after the flip of the calendar.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
IMO, we need to include a piece for a decent bottom pairing D if Jones goes for a C. I'm not a big Bartley fan.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
IMO, we need to include a piece for a decent bottom pairing D if Jones goes for a C. I'm not a big Bartley fan.

Bartley is in Milwaukee. It would be likely Granberg/Bitetto for now. But point still stands. Bartley >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bitetto.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
You can always acquire a decent bottom-pairing d-man at the TDL for like "future considerations". That is, if we don't get a 6th d-man with the package.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Agreed. I think whatever trade we make using Jones as the centerpiece NEEDS to have a bottom pairing defenseman coming back.

For example, if we made a move on Johansen, I'd like Connauton included in the deal.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Last year's ASG was in Columbus so I doubt that's a huge issue.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Jones, Watson/Sissons/Arvidsson/Salomaki, 2016 1st , Wilson

For

Ryan Johansen, Hartnell, Atkinson

That's three in a row. You really want to see Kekalainen twisting in the wind, don't you? :)

Think of it this way - take out Jones and Johansen. You're having us send a 30-goal scorer with dubious contract term and a 20-goal scorer for an extra forward we have no room for, a 30-point scorer on an even worse contract, and a 1st we don't give a damn about.

The Blue Jackets' position is that it takes Jones+ to get Johansen alone, because Jones is not yet in top-pairing form. (Toronto was told the same thing w/r/t Morgan Rielly.) Consider that with your next suggestion.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
But Viqsi, how do you manage your cap situation in next summer or the summer after that? Something's gotta give you may have to give something that hurts but I think if you get Jones back it'll be worth it.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN

I think Granberg may be the answer. I have liked him for awhile and love his defensive play. Only worry is speed, since he was injured, but he seemed to do fine in Milwaukee.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
So while driving this morning I was listening to NHL Network Radio, Stellick and Simmer, hoping they'd talk Predators and something about Poile. Annddddd they did.

They basically were saying we should be stronger but were too weak down the middle. What do ya know?! Exactly what EVERYONE knows. It's not a secret so I can see absolutely no reason Poile doesn't make a move for one of the many names we've mentioned. It's gotta be one of RNH or Johansen, hopefully the latter. They said we basically have much harder days ahead of us the more we go without a true #1C, the tougher it's gonna get. Especially in the Central. Things we all very well know.

What I found more interesting is how they mentioned his days in Washington. They said he basically has created the same situation here that he had for 15 years in DC. What is that problem? No #1C. They mentioned he had no one to compete with Mario Lemiuex who was in the game at that time.

They chuckled and said, "so basically were saying David Poile has center blinders on."

To me, that's very troubling. Yes he's a good and respected GM but he's made the same mistakes, if you want to call them that, in a second 15+ year stint. He should have learned the first time. Maybe Kamenev turns out but the guy just doesn't seem to understand that all elite cup contenders typically have that no.1C. I've said it before and will say it again, an elite defense and all world goalie is all well and good, but if you can't score goals, all of that doesn't matter one bit. We need more than a center, possibly 1 or 2 top6/top9 fwds that can produce. No more reclamation projects. Grow a sack and make this teams offense something other than a complete joke. 44 shots w/ one goal on one night, sure the goalie played great, but this happening more and more often than just 1 game every now and again, 2-3 times a year, ehh ok I can live with that. But we outshoot and lose wayyyy too much.

Finally, they talked about possible trade scenarios starting with E. Staal and winding up saying that's not necessarily the answer. They said we should be looking at Drouin, Johansen, RNH and Eberle. Young guys with elite level talent/potential, young enough to ride out long contracts with Webs and help us for many years to come. They said "get it done! Move a one of your defensemen and a pick and get it done." Haha easier said than done but these guys are sitting in Toronto sharing the same feelings/complaints about our lack of fixing the forward issue....I would say this topic is MORE than obvious to many, even outside of Nashville.

A fantastic way to put it. Holy **** Poile. Wake up. This team needs help. And now, not at the deadline for a last minute effort before we barely slide into the playoffs and lose that 1st round again, if we even end up making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So while driving this morning I was listening to NHL Network Radio, Stellick and Simmer, hoping they'd talk Predators and something about Poile. Annddddd they did.

They basically were saying we should be stronger but were too weak down the middle. What do ya know?! Exactly what EVERYONE knows. It's not a secret so I can see absolutely no reason Poile doesn't make a move for one of the many names we've mentioned. It's gotta be one of RNH or Johansen, hopefully the latter. They said we basically have much harder days ahead of us the more we go without a true #1C, the tougher it's gonna get. Especially in the Central. Things we all very well know.

What I found more interesting is how they mentioned his days in Washington. They said he basically has created the same situation here that he had for 15 years in DC. What is that problem? No #1C. They mentioned he had no one to compete with Mario Lemiuex who was in the game at that time.

They chuckled and said, "so basically were saying David Poile has center blinders on."

To me, that's very troubling. Yes he's a good and respected GM but he's made the same mistakes, if you want to call them that, in a second 15+ year stint. He should have learned the first time. Maybe Kamenev turns out but the guy just doesn't seem to understand that all elite cup contenders typically have that no.1C. I've said it before and will say it again, an elite defense and all world goalie is all well and good, but if you can't score goals, all of that doesn't matter one bit. We need more than a center, possibly 1 or 2 top6/top9 fwds that can produce. No more reclamation projects. Grow a sack and make this teams offense something other than a complete joke. 44 shots w/ one goal on one night, sure the goalie played great, but this happening more and more often than just 1 game every now and again, 2-3 times a year, ehh ok I can live with that. But we outshoot and lose wayyyy too much.

Finally, they talked about possible trade scenarios starting with E. Staal and winding up saying that's not necessarily the answer. They said we should be looking at Drouin, Johansen, RNH and Eberle. Young guys with elite level talent/potential, young enough to ride out long contracts with Webs and help us for many years to come. They said "get it done! Move a one of your defensemen and a pick and get it done." Haha easier said than done but these guys are sitting in Toronto sharing the same feelings/complaints about our lack of fixing the forward issue....I would say this topic is MORE than obvious to many, even outside of Nashville.

A fantastic way to put it. Holy **** Poile. Wake up. This team needs help. And now, not at the deadline for a last minute effort before we barely slide into the playoffs and lose that 1st round again, if we even end up making the playoffs.

Great post.

And spot on about Staal it would be a waste. Question is will Poile make the move?

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
They said "get it done! Move a one of your defensemen and a pick and get it done." Haha easier said than done but these guys are sitting in Toronto sharing the same feelings/complaints about our lack of fixing the forward issue....I would say this topic is MORE than obvious to many, even outside of Nashville.

Everybody knows it. It has been the criticism of this team for as long as we have been competitive. It has been posted on these boards forever although usually met with "those players aren't available". Every year it is one of the main criticisms and how we won't make a long playoff run without top line talent (specifically centers). And we get bounced early, just like everyone says.

As for the trade rumors, they've existed for years because the people making rumors aren't dumb. They know we need the help and have a luxury on the back end. But until David Poile changes his stripes, it will never get done.

What's more likely, Poile trades his prized asset Seth Jones for a young center or waits and packages up a first & prospects for an aging Eric Staal?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i choose to believe the problem right now is that it takes two teams to trade. EDM is holding on for McDavid to return and still have wild dreams of making the playoffs in that awful Pacific, and CLB is in zero rush, just fielding one offer after the other from multiple teams, not only us, knowing the longer they wait, the more they can get. then you have COL who is right on our tail and has zero desire to make a deal inside the Central nor really to move Duchene who is their best player. Then you have Druin, who TB is getting offers from all 29 teams. It's a sellers market right now, and we are stuck on the buying side. I know we are all terribly impatient, including me, but unless we drastically overpay it's going to be tough to get any deal done.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Actually, I don't think that Johansen's price is going to rise the longer they wait because they know they have to move him before July 1st. If they don't they can't re-sign Jenner or Murray. The more they wait the more desperate they are going to be to actually make a deal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But Viqsi, how do you manage your cap situation in next summer or the summer after that? Something's gotta give you may have to give something that hurts but I think if you get Jones back it'll be worth it.

Mostly by hoping that the cap goes up. And giving up something that hurts will simply be added to the list of reasons why Kekalainen should have been fired for that g-dawful Clarkson trade.

* * *​
Actually, I don't think that Johansen's price is going to rise the longer they wait because they know they have to move him before July 1st. If they don't they can't re-sign Jenner or Murray. The more they wait the more desperate they are going to be to actually make a deal.

Those two raises are already accounted for.

I recognize that insisting there's a gap that can only be filled by dumping Johansen fits the "oh goody we're going to get a shiny toy" narrative well, but it's not realistic. :)

I will point out that the biggest issue to date with Joey+Hartnell for Jones+Nystrom proposals could be very easily resolved if a significant future is added on Nashville's end. But that would probably be extremely unwelcome. Wilson, however, simply isn't doable.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
Mostly by hoping that the cap goes up. And giving up something that hurts will simply be added to the list of reasons why Kekalainen should have been fired for that g-dawful Clarkson trade.

* * *​

Those two raises are already accounted for.

I recognize that insisting there's a gap that can only be filled by dumping Johansen fits the "oh goody we're going to get a shiny toy" narrative well, but it's not realistic. :)

I will point out that the biggest issue to date with Joey+Hartnell for Jones+Nystrom proposals could be very easily resolved if a significant future is added on Nashville's end. But that would probably be extremely unwelcome. Wilson, however, simply isn't doable.

Don't hold your breath to much for the cap going up by a lot. Canadian economy sucks and it does have an effect on the cap space. I would think a similar increase like last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad