The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Him being an RFA for that much longer makes Jones a much smaller risk.

He's an RFA but his deal is up after this season, which means if he takes another 2 year(maybe even 1, i'd have to check) deal, he's arbitration eligible, which would mean he could get locked into a couple of 1 year deals and hit UFA basically as soon as possible.

Either way, if we only have Seth Jones for, in this hypothetical, 4 more years, it's a waste.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
There is just no way to know that right now. What if we get lucky and Kamenev, Fiala, and Vesey all are here and flourishing next year?? That would change our outlook dramatically. Not to mention potential offseason moves.

Every team thinks this way every year, it probably actually works for 1 team every two years or so at best. I don't see many options for the Preds in free agency this offseason either. Can't really pick up Ladd or Okposo thanks to signing Wilson and Smith, plus they'll both ask for 6-7 mil anyway. Stamkos ain't coming here. Staal might be a possibility, but with him you can't be sure if you're getting a 50 point guy or if he can regain 70+ point form, he won't come cheap and he'll be 32 next Oct. so we're still stuck looking for a young C.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
He's an RFA but his deal is up after this season, which means if he takes another 2 year(maybe even 1, i'd have to check) deal, he's arbitration eligible, which would mean he could get locked into a couple of 1 year deals and hit UFA basically as soon as possible.

Either way, if we only have Seth Jones for, in this hypothetical, 4 more years, it's a waste.

Vs. RyJo for only 1. With 4 years controlled no matter what, there is much more value to a trade or time to negotiate with his agent.

RyJo goes the arbitration route this year and we're already screwed. He'd instantly become a deadline deal.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vs. RyJo for only 1. With 4 years controlled no matter what, there is much more value to a trade or time to negotiate with his agent.

RyJo goes the arbitration route this year and we're already screwed. He'd instantly become a deadline deal.

His contract is up at the end of next year, not this year. So he would be here a minimum of 2 and a half years.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
There is just no way to know that right now. What if we get lucky and Kamenev, Fiala, and Vesey all are here and flourishing next year?? That would change our outlook dramatically. Not to mention potential offseason moves.

To be fair, we were banking on Steve Moses and Kevin Fiala to provide an offensive boost this year, and used that as justification to skip out on the FA market last summer. That approach is risky in itself

To be clear, I am not saying we should use those 3 as an excuse or a reason to not be aggressive in making a trade or signing. That would be a huge mistake.

I was just responding to the post that said if we did not make a trade right now we would have the exact same roster next year. Just saying its way too early to know that right now....

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
For what the last 10 days its been get RYJO what ever the cost. Now some are looking at it that's a good thing.

I pretty much see the long wait as bad news.

If it were for Defenseman Insert name + Wilson/Smith for RyJo + Harts the deal would be done.
If the deal is RyJo + Cap dump Dubinsky again the deal would be done
If the deal is RyJo + Cap Dump Clarkson it will be a while Clarkson is injured and reports say it may be weeks. If hes day to day he can be traded but if he gos to IR have to wait.
Or it could be there is nothing there at all.

CBus needs to dump salary Dubinsky has been a disappointment and well Clarkson is just a dud. Foligno, Saad are the only other forwards with big salary and neither of them are moving. So the last two options are the logical explanations to the Preds.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For what the last 10 days its been get RYJO what ever the cost. Now some are looking at it that's a good thing.

I pretty much see the long wait as bad news.

If it were for Defenseman Insert name + Wilson/Smith for RyJo + Harts the deal would be done.
If the deal is RyJo + Cap dump Dubinsky again the deal would be done
If the deal is RyJo + Cap Dump Clarkson it will be a while Clarkson is injured and reports say it may be weeks. If hes day to day he can be traded but if he gos to IR have to wait.
Or it could be there is nothing there at all.

CBus needs to dump salary Dubinsky has been a disappointment and well Clarkson is just a dud. Foligno, Saad are the only other forwards with big salary and neither of them are moving. So the last two options are the logical explanations to the Preds.
Don't be absurd. Dubinsky has been anything but a disappointment. He's one of the core forwards here. He's about as much a "cap dump" as James Neal.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Don't be absurd. Dubinsky has been anything but a disappointment. He's one of the core forwards here. He's about as much a "cap dump" as James Neal.

Not meaning to upset you I like the guy in NY and honestly I have not seen him play but a handful of games for the Bugs. But at 5.850 he has had one 50 point year has not broke 20 goals since 2011. He may do things that do not show up on the scoresheet but I would have to think he is overpaid. In fact his career looks almost identical to Craig Smith. When guys are paid like this im guilty of expecting them to put more points up than these two. Again there may be something im missing in his game now. I did see a lot of him in NY and thought he was decent but not top 6 talent. He has a good work ethic IMO and plays hard but just has not produced the results and this is his 10th year in the league.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not meaning to upset you I like the guy in NY and honestly I have not seen him play but a handful of games for the Bugs. But at 5.850 he has had one 50 point year has not broke 20 goals since 2011. He may do things that do not show up on the scoresheet but I would have to think he is overpaid. In fact his career looks almost identical to Craig Smith. When guys are paid like this im guilty of expecting them to put more points up than these two. Again there may be something im missing in his game now. I did see a lot of him in NY and thought he was decent but not top 6 talent. He has a good work ethic IMO and plays hard but just has not produced the results and this is his 10th year in the league.

He's produced at a 50 point pace consistently since he got here (limited by injuries), is one of our best defensive guys and one of the team's primary leaders. Folks here have zero desire to trade him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Was about to say, everything I've heard and seen from Dubinsky is the guy does his job very well, its the injuries that seem to limit him. I know when they got in playoffs he was a beast in that series.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
This team needs tradeS. Trades with an S. We're in trouble.

Get Johansen and find another top 6 or top 9 wing. Our forwards are useless outside of a select few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad