Rumor: The Fourth period: Quick to Leafs?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Quick can still put forth a good effort now and again but his days of being a premier NHL starting goaltender are pretty much done. Even this year in front of a pretty solid Kings team he has been very inconsistent from game to game or even from period to period. I would not trust him to be a starting goaltender in an important 7 game playoff series.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Holl is a top 4 D that's not happening
La is looking for a defenseman in any deal so if not Holl who ? sandin is off limits i assume so is Liljegren i bet You can't keep all of them and i would think Holl would be the lesser of the 3

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Im gonna offer a slightly used Ryan Miller to you Torontonians in exchange for a 1st-rounder.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Andersen > Quick

both playing under their potential but Quick has another year on his contract so that makes it worse. Even if LA retained it wouldn't be all that appealing as Quicks' numbers are on par with if not worse than Andersens. Better the devil you know...not to mention Matthews and Andersen are buddies so what would that do to the dressing room?

Quick + to even get the conversation started.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
La is looking for a defenseman in any deal so if not Holl who ? sandin is off limits i assume so is Liljegren i bet You can't keep all of them and i would think Holl would be the lesser of the 3

That would probably be Lilly actually Holl is in the top 4 he's not going anywhere and Sandin is the #2 prospect in the system I doubt Quick gets a top 2 prospect from anybody because goalies do not have high trade value, I never understood why but they don't

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Toronto may want to get rid of Andersen, but I can't imagine taking on an additional two seasons of Quick is really what they're looking for.

And for LA, yes they had a ridiculous goalie pipeline, but one trade after another has emptied that pipeline. Kuemper and Campbell were the last two to go, and now beyond Quick and Petersen... the cupboard is pretty much bare. Grosenick was pulled off the scrap heap and could maybe be a backup for a short period of time... but I certainly wouldn't trust Villalta or Ingham with anything until and if they can ever emerge from mid-round pick ECHL obscurity and prove something. And I never want to see Berube in a Kings sweater.

Doesn't seem to make sense from either side.

Reactions: YP44

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
hehe I called this 2 weeks ago...
Trades and Free Agency 2021 | Any day now?

I mentioned Quick retained 50%. mentored Campbell, MVP and 4-0 in game 7s.
Freddy: 0-8 in deciding games.
I’m sure Quick has a better chance to make that save in the playoffs. We won our last cup with an older goalie...
another off the board player from LA that fits our needs, might be cheap and can leave unprotected if really needed is Jeff Carter. leafs fan as a kid. stanley cup winner.plays C. perfect 3rd line player who still has a great shot and could score a big OT goal in the playoffs...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto may want to get rid of Andersen, but I can't imagine taking on an additional two seasons of Quick is really what they're looking for.

And for LA, yes they had a ridiculous goalie pipeline, but one trade after another has emptied that pipeline. Kuemper and Campbell were the last two to go, and now beyond Quick and Petersen... the cupboard is pretty much bare. Grosenick was pulled off the scrap heap and could maybe be a backup for a short period of time... but I certainly wouldn't trust Villalta or Ingham with anything until and if they can ever emerge from mid-round pick ECHL obscurity and prove something. And I never want to see Berube in a Kings sweater.

Doesn't seem to make sense from either side.

It's not just about this year although if you can get LA to retain salary, especially if they retain 50% that does A LOT for your deadline cap space.

But Freddy is likely gone next year unless he takes a dirt cheap deal, and to be fair the way he's played he might not have a choice.

You can't have Jack Campbell carrying the load long term no matter how good he's been, and he's been great because he's only played 4 games and never played above 31 games in a season and only 68 in his entire career that's not enough.

So ethier Freddy takes a dirt cheap deal or you need to bring somebody in

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
if we believe Campbell is taking over, Quick comes in, works with Campbell. can be left unprotected. not a lot of options for goalies next year but at 2.9M is cheaper then Freddy.
Quicks last playoff was 2018,
his numbers at that time
1.55 goals against
.947 save percentage
let those numbers sink in...
if our goalie gave us those numbers = cup

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think the Leafs have the cap space to truly upgrade the goaltending position. I think they are are better off seeing what Campbell can do and hope Andersen gets his mojo back.

MrGroove

Mar 9, 2021
a retained Quick saves the leafs 2.1M to spend on a forward or D. If you still trust Freddy in the playoffs, please watch the game 7’s. nothing else to say...

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Andersen > Quick

both playing under their potential but Quick has another year on his contract so that makes it worse. Even if LA retained it wouldn't be all that appealing as Quicks' numbers are on par with if not worse than Andersens. Better the devil you know...not to mention Matthews and Andersen are buddies so what would that do to the dressing room?

Quick + to even get the conversation started.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The playoffs are a different sport altogether.
One of those goalies hasn't even won a playoff round on his current team and the other has 2 cups and a Conn Smythe

But let's let the stats speak for themselves

Andersen

upload_2021-3-22_10-39-42.png

Quick
upload_2021-3-22_10-38-58.png

they are not even close in the playoffs. One is a future HOFer because of his playoff resume' while the other will be all but forgotten when someone better comes along

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-22_10-38-37.png
    upload_2021-3-22_10-38-37.png
    49 KB · Views: 2

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
No thanks. I rather have Quick than Anderson and judging by some of the comments here it's pretty obvious to figure out those that haven't watched him.

Heard this from time and time again with the Toffolis, Muzzins, Williams, etc. Once they end up on the east coast, Kings fans are the ones being taught what they bring to the table lol.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Quick is light years better than Andersen. Its not even close and never was. Quick is the best playoff goalie in the league. Andersen is the opposite. I posted on the Leafs board when they got Campbell that they will want him to be the starter soon enough. That came true. And Quick is better than Campbell.

Reactions: RocketKing

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It’s so amazing to me how people still don’t understand the salary cap and contracts.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I dont know exactly how you'd do this, the teams are probably gonna have to get creative on this one, and get a third team involved to handle some of the cap the coming seasons, if these rumours are true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad