The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
2bl8wp.jpg

Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He should be a starter, even with Reus healthy.

Sane - Werner - Müller
Ilkay - Mesut
Toni
Hector - Mats - Boa - Kimmich
--------------
Werner - Müller
Sane - Gundogan - Mesut - Kimmich
Toni
Süle - Mats - Boa
Jogi is an idiot for not picking Leroy ahead of Plattenhart, Draxler, Khedira, or Goretzka.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
When I dominated with FC Kaiserslautern on FM12( i think) I never thought Trapp would ever make the WC squad but here we are.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When I dominated with FC Kaiserslautern on FM12( i think) I never thought Trapp would ever make the WC squad but here we are.

I'm all for shitting on Jogi right now, but it's not like it really matters who Manu & MAtS play pranks on in practice.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I'm all for ****ting on Jogi right now, but it's not like it really matters who Manu & MAtS play pranks on in practice.
Oh no doubt, I couldn't care less about a 3rd GK but thought it was funny. Not as funny as PSG buying him to be a #1 keeper though.

Reactions: cgf

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
He should be a starter, even with Reus healthy.

Sane - Werner - Müller
Ilkay - Mesut
Toni
Hector - Mats - Boa - Kimmich
--------------
Werner - Müller
Sane - Gundogan - Mesut - Kimmich
Toni
Süle - Mats - Boa
Jogi is an idiot for not picking Leroy ahead of Plattenhart, Draxler, Khedira, or Goretzka.
That midfield looks terrible defensively, man.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That midfield looks terrible defensively, man.

I don't agree with this at all. It's a popular narrative; especially in EPL circles that love to regurgitate discredited myths about Özil because he doesn't pound his chest while leading Arsenal in km's run game after game, but it's not accurate. Not saying it's great defensively...and it's not physical at all, outside of Ilkay...but it's good against the ball. Ilkay is great at pressing in the midfield, while Özil & Kroos are very strong at drifting behind the first wave of pressing to intercept sloppy passes...Mesut, in particular, is exceptional at this and is a good presser in his own right.

Given how much we dominate the ball, how well our front three can press, and how strong we are behind that midfield; that's more than good enough for us to dominate the ball against everyone...except (maybe) Spain...though I had prefered the back behind them to make up for Kroos' immobility, at least when Sane was an option to play LWB.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is the type of thinking that leads to Khedira

You're not wrong, but at least Can is hurt...cause Sami can at least get the ball back to guys who do know what to do with it quickly & play good 1-2s, and so isn't as easy to isolate with pressing...like France did to Can to beat us in 2016.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Spain will have the opportunity in the group stage to figure out their goalkeeping, I thought they were pretty convincing with the ball at their feet. Do wonder if they need a wide player. I think having Thiago and Koke out there is important for them, otherwise they have a few too many guys out there that are used to being the playmaker in the hole. Having more traditional CM's will help them.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
CR7 is the best player in the world and has been for about a decade.

Come at me.

I don’t necessarily agree with this unfortunately :( but he’s been no worse than the 2nd best player in the world for the last 10 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t necessarily agree with this unfortunately :( but he’s been no worse than the 2nd best player in the world for the last 10 years.

Only because you haven't watched enough of Raffa, the true great of this generation.
CR7 is the best player in the world and has been for about a decade.

Come at me.

It's nice to finally see him score more than one goal at a World Cup, he has been at it for oh so long :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00