The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Europa League is so much more entertaining than CL

Speaking of soccer forum, I went there couple days ago and saw someone say Firmino is better than Dybala and just nop'd out of there

Reactions: cgf

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
In fairness, I actually do think United are close to being a top level side again. I generally rate their forwards/wingers, and their midfield is okay when Jose let's them play out. To me they they have a lot of useful defenders, but not really any high level ones. Outside of Pogba I think the same criticism can be had for their midfield as well. For me, finding someone who can replace Carrick and sit deep in the midfield to control the temp is the biggest thing they need to find, as well as a new manager. I think they can be a top level side, although competing with City is a ways off.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Europa League is so much more entertaining than CL

Speaking of soccer forum, I went there couple days ago and saw someone say Firmino is better than Dybala and just nop'd out of there

Agreed about the EL

....and that someone was why I made clear to say that only some LFC fans no longer bother me; even though Brazil are idiots for not playing all 4 of Neymar, Jesus, Firmino & Coutinho.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In fairness, I actually do think United are close to being a top level side again. I generally rate their forwards/wingers, and their midfield is okay when Jose let's them play out. To me they they have a lot of useful defenders, but not really any high level ones. Outside of Pogba I think the same criticism can be had for their midfield as well. For me, finding someone who can replace Carrick and sit deep in the midfield to control the temp is the biggest thing they need to find, as well as a new manager. I think they can be a top level side, although competing with City is a ways off.

Almost all of the players I really like on that team are 30 or soon will be, so I dunno how much they'll have left whenever that team is free of Mou. Of the younger guys I think Lukaku's over-rated, while Pogba & Martial have not developed very well despite their talent. Rashford is good, and I like both Bailly & Lindelof, but that still leaves a lot of question marks.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Gareth Bale is one sexy man beast.
Don't get me wrong that Bale is a damn good player, but not sure he's a superstar. In the CL he got a fluke goal that he wouldn't score 9 out of 10 times, it just so happened this was that one time. Additionally, the second goal was definitely a howitzer, but that is a very easy shot where all Karius had to do is punch it away. Is he good enough for RM? Sure, but not at the price he went for which I think was 100 million Euros. He's at most a 50 million player and quite an enigma since he's beyond inconsistent.

Liverpool fans are more delusionally hopeful than arrogant, which is the more bearable of the two. Barcelona fans have been cut down to size after a couple of poor seasons, as well as the downfall of their annoying level of pride about La Masia.
Yeah, but it goes into their judgement when comparing players. The village idiot of those boards said that Firmino is better than Dybala, as well as freckin' Depay is better than Dybala. I get it that I got my unique hottakes, but I never went that low and Firmino showed that he's a step below the top calibre players.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Feels like you guys underselling Firmino. Dybala is clearly better, but Firmino is awesome in his own right. That isn’t anywhere near as bad as his hot takes about Depay & Promes

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Feels like you guys underselling Firmino. Dybala is clearly better, but Firmino is awesome in his own right. That isn’t anywhere near as bad as his hot takes about Depay & Promes

For real. I’d still take Dybala over Bobby but it’s closer than people think.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
All the hot takes on the soccer board make it really hard to have reasonable discussions there; they're trade board level-grotesque. Reading stuff like "Liverpool have the best defense in the PL" regularly puts me completely off from visiting that board again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
All the hot takes on the soccer board make it really hard to have reasonable discussions there; they're trade board level-grotesque. Reading stuff like "Liverpool have the best defense in the PL" regularly puts me completely off from visiting that board again.
That would be the “certain Dutch homer” that we have alluded to.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That would be the “certain Dutch homer” that we have alluded to.
Who so happens to be the same bloke that said Depay is better than Dybala (even for how bad that board might be, it's only one guy @Arcade Fire). I don't think it is wrong to say that Firmino and Dybala are close, but they play too different of styles for me to compare the two. For example, if you put Firmino on any other squad he fails and if you put Dybala in Liverpool's tactics he also plays below his potential. Firmino is just in the most perfect situation with Klopp and at Liverpool considering who they have as wingers. The only player we can say is better than Dybala than the world class talents' is Icardi.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Who so happens to be the same bloke that said Depay is better than Dybala (even for how bad that board might be, it's only one guy @Arcade Fire). I don't think it is wrong to say that Firmino and Dybala are close, but they play too different of styles for me to compare the two. For example, if you put Firmino on any other squad he fails and if you put Dybala in Liverpool's tactics he also plays below his potential. Firmino is just in the most perfect situation with Klopp and at Liverpool considering who they have as wingers. The only player we can say is better than Dybala than the world class talents' is Icardi.
You should look at what Firmino did at Hoffenheim before you post dumb shit like this

Oh wait, I miss the Icardi > Dybala too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Somehow every thread on the Soccer board becomes about either Liverpool, Ligue Un, or Barcelona/Real Madrid.

Sometimes LITN joins the Raffael love fest with me, DM & Pedro :sarcasm:

At least we no longer have to argue about what a failure Pep is for only dominating every league he's gone to in ways it's never been dominated before!

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I swear I leave you guys for the weekend and y'all lose your minds. @JWK @The Abusement Park and co.

In this second, I am enjoying the suffering of Barca & Liverpool fans more...but I just know that some Real fans are going to piss me off in the future when they overhype this Real team. You can't take away the greatness of their achievement, but this three-peat has featured sooooo many flukey decisive moments, and their league performances undercut that streakiness. But it's an achievement that Real fans will be able to point to & gloat about for decades...and in the world at large, Real fans are even more annoying than the LFC & Barca fans on HF.

Madrid are the worst IRL on line everywhere. Their bandwagoners are somehow even worse then them. Overrating the entire team. Marcelo best LB, Madrid best team ever all legitimate discussions here.

Liverpool fans are more delusionally hopeful than arrogant, which is the more bearable of the two. Barcelona fans have been cut down to size after a couple of poor seasons, as well as the downfall of their annoying level of pride about La Masia.

La Masia fell down due to the board wanting to buy players rather than developing them for barca. They are still producing players just not for barca.

Dybala/Firmino was hilarious but Icardi now... LMAO.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Korea WC flame post incoming.

The last non-horrible Korea manager was Friendship Radish. Shin is an arrogant idiot trying to train three+ different sets of tactics for a tournament, still can't spell his name just randomly picked players from who the f*** knows where (for example, the J league 2), Hong had no concept of organization on the pitch (which is ironic), Choi played 100% long ball that would get laughed at in the English third division for being old-fashioned.

The most annoying part is that every single tournament these guys pick the same failed players over and over again, and seem allergic to picking the best players.

I still don't understand why Kimbo is continually left out, he is the only pure number ten in the talent pool and the only Korean player I can think of that can consistently unlock the defense with his passing. Hong has been the best CB in the team for probably five years, (although Kim Min-Jae is the much better talent) but for some reason Shin won't call him up and ignores him. This is especially annoying since it seems he wants to play a three back set part of the time and Hong is the most natural libero in the talent pool.

Annoys the f*** out of me that Kim Shin Wook is still getting called up eight years later. He has now failed under like four managers, yet keeps managing to get in the squad. One of the worst strikers I have ever seen at the international level, ten goals in almost 50 appearances as a lone target man, plus horrible ball skills in general. I've been watching this guy in K-league for a decade and I'm not sure if I've ever seen him actually beat a goalie with his shot. Even more egregious to leave out Suk for him, as he can actually play the position. Hell, I would have rather brought in Cho.

Dropping Lee Chang Min is another horrible idea, he's the only competent DM. Ki is our best passer, but sucks defensively. Jung provides less than nothing, but will probably get the pivot role and pass to the other team's strikers five times a game like he normally does.

Lee Sung Woo has scored one pro goal and gets the nod. Once again, over Kimbo? Seriously? Kimbo is also the only Korean player that is dangerous on free kicks at the international level. Christ, this is gonna be another winless WC.

Reactions: S E P H and cgf

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
KFA is a mess and they were idiots for passing on Senol Gunes 2e1321321421312 times in the past 4~6 years when he wanted it.

It's alright, we got this guy organizing the defense anyways :sarcasm:

It's gonna be another international tournament where Son Heung Min gets all the blame because his teammates are shit and bunch of him going to the military memes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad