OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Gibby's or Moishe's for a classic steakhouse type of vibe - differentiation being that Moishe's cooks their steaks over charcoal. For me, they aren't worth the price, but if you're set on tenderloin, they're your best bet

If you're willing to venture into some more compelling cuts of meat and/or experience genius...Joe Beef/Liverpool House (obviously), Maison Publique, Montreal Plaza, or Nora Gray.

Also very highly recommend Damas - a Syrian place up in Outremont (they also use open fire). They are really awesome people and have a nice tenderloin

(cooked in restos in Montreal for 5 years)

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The best steak I ever had was a huge tomahawk from Joe Beef that was aged the same way as prosciutto. I never tasted anything like that before, it was very unique.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They were at the beer fest. Very good.

I enjoyed Otter Creek's stuff very much.

http://ottercreekbrewing.com/home

Otter Creek (from what I've drank) is very... classical and absolutely well-crafted beer. Kind of place I'd recommend to people who love beer but aren't specifically interested in Vermont's beer. If that makes any sense.

That was 2 years ago though.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Otter Creek (from what I've drank) is very... classical and absolutely well-crafted beer. Kind of place I'd recommend to people who love beer but aren't specifically interested in Vermont's beer. If that makes any sense.

That was 2 years ago though.

I just liked that they had 4-5 different IPAs. They were all quite good.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just liked that they had 4-5 different IPAs. They were all quite good.

...That's very Vermont-like though :)

Don't get me wrong : I love IPA's. I just don't really care about going in a place and having 80%+ of the taps/variety being IPA's, DIPA's and the likes.

I totally understand a place having an IPA, a Session IPA and a Specialty IPA (DIPA, Black, White, Belgian) though (just trying having more than 4 taps then). I mean, if you really cannot brew without putting a lots of hops, just brew a hoppy American Brown Ale and an HopfenWeisse or a New World Tripel or a hoppy Saison. Just don't go IPA everywhere.

...And that's really why I really loved Four Quarters : really nice change of pace after moar hops everywhere. Then again, if I had to restrict myself to one specific type of beer, it would probably be Trippels or Pilsners, which would make me solidly in the minority.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
...That's very Vermont-like though :)

Don't get me wrong : I love IPA's. I just don't really care about going in a place and having 80%+ of the taps/variety being IPA's, DIPA's and the likes.

I totally understand a place having an IPA, a Session IPA and a Specialty IPA (DIPA, Black, White, Belgian) though (just trying having more than 4 taps then). I mean, if you really cannot brew without putting a lots of hops, just brew a hoppy American Brown Ale and an HopfenWeisse or a New World Tripel or a hoppy Saison. Just don't go IPA everywhere.

...And that's really why I really loved Four Quarters : really nice change of pace after moar hops everywhere. Then again, if I had to restrict myself to one specific type of beer, it would probably be Trippels or Pilsners, which would make me solidly in the minority.

It really depends on your tastes. I am an IPA fanatic so I love going down to Vermont.

I was really lucky too and managed to have a few cans of Heady Topper at the local 3-plex movie theater near my place down there.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The best steak I ever had was a huge tomahawk from Joe Beef that was aged the same way as prosciutto. I never tasted anything like that before, it was very unique.

The key difference being the length of time those meats are typically aged for.

Usually beef is not dry-aged longer than 2 weeks (give or take), where as prosciutto can be cured for years intensifying flavor much more. That only speaks to the product really - pork is a lot more fatty and can hold up to curing over a prolonged period of time much better than beef (or any other animal protein really).

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
In hopes of reviving this thread, I ask you as a vegan - what is the best cut of beef in your opinion and why?

IMO the two best cuts are flank steak and Top Sirloin (baseball cut specifically).

Each very different, but so so good when done right.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
In hopes of reviving this thread, I ask you as a vegan - what is the best cut of beef in your opinion and why?

IMO the two best cuts are flank steak and Top Sirloin (baseball cut specifically).

Each very different, but so so good when done right.

Sirloin...hell no, there's no fat in it. Gotta have that marbling man, just gotta

Ribeye
Strip
T-Bone
Flanks

Reactions: CalgarySnow

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sirloin...hell no, there's no fat in it. Gotta have that marbling man, just gotta

Ribeye
Strip
T-Bone
Flanks

I'm confused, because fillet (the smaller portion of porterhouse/t-bone) has even less fat than top sirloin.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm confused, because fillet (the smaller portion of porterhouse/t-bone) has even less fat than top sirloin.

Can't say I've ever seen that

Sirloins are good, cheaper steak options. Quick grilling, low fat, can do lots of things with them, but when alone, I can't say it would be my first choice.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
My favorite cuts:

Rib Steak (bone in)
Porter house
Strip Loin (aka NY strip)
Hanger (usually butcher shop only)
Tri tip (usually butcher shop only)
Flank

Always look for aging and marbling

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My favorite cuts:

Rib Steak (bone in)
Porter house
Strip Loin (aka NY strip)
Hanger (usually butcher shop only)
Tri tip (usually butcher shop only)

Flank

Always look for aging and marbling

Respect!

When I used to be a meat eater I never got a chance to try any of the two. Heard great things about hanger steak, just never had a chance to taste it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Respect!

When I used to be a meat eater I never got a chance to try any of the two. Heard great things about hanger steak, just never had a chance to taste it.

It's well worth the effort to find a hanger, or tri tip. The tri tip tastes a bit livery/gamy to some, so like the flank, it's a great candidate for marinating.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Anyone still have the pizza thread vs the Islanders?

I can't find it and thanks in advance!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's well worth the effort to find a hanger, or tri tip. The tri tip tastes a bit livery/gamy to some, so like the flank, it's a great candidate for marinating.

Not that I'll attempt it anymore, but curiously... what sort of acid do you prefer when marinating the belly portion of beef?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hanger or Ribsteak, depending on how I want to eat the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad