OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Coronet is still amazing pizza.

Just had it on Friday. It's my go to for Montreal style pizza.
I know they always had a good track record so I'll keep it a potential if it is convenient. Any others that are good? that Lafleur's guy said west island had some, could be good to know as taking notes and not sure where I'll be and when. Efharistó pára polí.

Given I'm where I'am,have to mention that people that shred on Vegas are nuts. Lots of things to see and do and great food,so many options but have hitting steakhouses,fantastic! It's sure worth an extended visit.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone try this?

FYR-BLK-Hot-Sauce-HK_ed3b73cf-b1cc-4b16-927e-51d6947e1831.jpg

Company’s descriptive: This distinctive blend features charred chili peppers, black garlic, and the zesty tang of black lime. The charred chili peppers infuse the sauce with a rich, smoky flavor, while the black garlic adds a deep umami undertone.

They offer two other blends.

• Wow
Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yup, veal is ideal but I buy ground beef frozen in bulk (50 lbs) from Ferme D'Oree so I'm typically using beef. As much as I love ground pork, I find even with fatty ground pork that the meatballs aren't the same as using beef and/or veal.

If you really want them cheesy go with a 1:1 ratio of veal and parm like Stefano Faita.

Parmesan Meatballs - Recipe - Stefano Faita
I finally got around to placing my first order with Ferme d’Orée, further to your recommendation from a while back.

I’ll be getting pastured eggs, ground veal, osso buco (grass-fed, Angus), boneless chicken thighs, hanger steak (grass-fed Angus — currently on sale), beef liver (grass-fed, Angus).

I called them before placing the order as I was never sure about how to proceed. All the meat selections come frozen. They are sold to you frozen even if you buy in person at their farm.

You need to place the order online first, but with enough days in advance relative to your pick up location. I called them to find out how much lead time was needed. They don’t accept credit cards, paid by Interac.

They told me that some of their meats are available at select butchers. I’ll call back to get a list.

I’m really looking forward to the pastured eggs. Would prefer to find a close enough farm where I can pick up regularly but for now, this could work.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone try this?

FYR-BLK-Hot-Sauce-HK_ed3b73cf-b1cc-4b16-927e-51d6947e1831.jpg

Company’s descriptive: This distinctive blend features charred chili peppers, black garlic, and the zesty tang of black lime. The charred chili peppers infuse the sauce with a rich, smoky flavor, while the black garlic adds a deep umami undertone.

They offer two other blends.
Wonder if it's a Cajun creation if you're familiar with the cuisine and reference. When you combine all those charred components, how tasty can it be? doesn't sound all that appealing but never know, if you try it and like, pass the word.

Speaking of Cajun, got to La Louisiane and it's still one of my favorite dining experience, the ambiance and the food is still good. Looked like a revamped menu from what I remember as some items that I loved are no longer available, too bad as they were great. Can't go and not have the Banana Foster for dessert, and it's rather common to expect to have this type of reaction when consuming this ambrosial gift.:nod:

when-harry-met-sally.gif

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I finally got around to placing my first order with Ferme d’Orée, further to your recommendation from a while back.

I’ll be getting pastured eggs, ground veal, osso buco (grass-fed, Angus), boneless chicken thighs, hanger steak (grass-fed Angus — currently on sale), beef liver (grass-fed, Angus).

I called them before placing the order as I was never sure about how to proceed. All the meat selections come frozen. They are sold to you frozen even if you buy in person at their farm.

You need to place the order online first, but with enough days in advance relative to your pick up location. I called them to find out how much lead time was needed. They don’t accept credit cards, paid by Interac.

They told me that some of their meats are available at select butchers. I’ll call back to get a list.

I’m really looking forward to the pastured eggs. Would prefer to find a close enough farm where I can pick up regularly but for now, this could work.

(grass-fed, Angus), (grass-fed Angus — currently on sale), beef liver (grass-fed, Angus).

I sense you're talking about me! I'd stay away from my liver though.

• Haha
Reactions: rik schau

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Prep is the worst and most time consuming and thankful I have all the necessary gadgets to make it as easy and quick as possible. If I/we encounter a situation where we don't have what is needed, we'll get it pronto. Unless of course you like living like in the medieval days and do everything by hand like making pizza dough.

• Haha

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A couple of pretty good restaurants I'd say are worth trying from recent visits: Gibbys in St .Saveur and The Keg in the west island, the townships needs to up it's game however.

I'm no wine aficionado but am curious as to why there are so few rosé wines available. I prefer it yet many establishments have so few, often a choice of only 2 maybe 3,odd. I know I've heard experts claim it's inferior and yadayadayada, don't believe it though. Have had my share of unpalatable reds and whites but don't recall have a terrible rosé. I think I got habituated with rosé after decades of drinking it from my friends that make it.

Got disappointed as it seems the best Indonesian restaurant in Montreal (Nonyas) looks like it's permanently closed. Surprising that a city as large as Montreal has next to none now and is missing out on one of the most flavorful and tasty cuisines. Fortunately my fav in Ottawa is still going strong and it was still super, located on Montreal street of all things. Another great meal in Ottawa worth mentioning was some exquisitely prepared chateaubriand. Have never been disappointed with a chateaubriand and the restaurant had an impressive extensive wine list with perhaps around 10 choices of rosé.

Whatever happened to the Biftheque? it was a huge place and those croutons and buns were a meal before the meal. It was pretty good many moons ago and very reasonably priced. The only place I knew of that got it's lobster tails from Cuba, best lobster tails imho.

A bunch of the gang was over at my friends and one is a French chef and he made some superb beef bourguignon with caribou meat that I brought. We all, well some gave a hand getting everything together and I made a chocolate mouse for dessert. Everything was really good and went smoothly considering some special mushrooms were also on the menu.

Sneaking this in here as no where else would be applicable. Saw some friends that live in Oka, things have changed! They have outlets that would rival the SQDC. Went with one of the guys and was surprised by the variety of hashish and its quality. Not that I'm interested in opening up similar type establishments like the Coffeeshops in the Netherlands but curious why there are none.

A bunch of us went to one of our friends Sugar-shack for a party. The place was reserved exclusively for the event and there was live music, obviously, and it got crazy! Zero restrictions on smoking and can say I drank dinner more than ate it! That maple syrup went down without a hitch. Another great thing about Quebec is that no matter what time of year it is, you can always find snow.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I tried to do something really stupid last night and turns out it was a TikTok trend I wasn't even aware of (Sushi Lasagna).

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I tried to do something really stupid last night and turns out it was a TikTok trend I wasn't even aware of (Sushi Lasagna).
a7877e9b-9d10-40be-accd-b5dbf5395e9d_text.gif:nod:

Had a hankering for some Korean ribs and being on the west island gave it a go and got thoroughly disgusted, not anything like it should be, what a disaster, and it was recommended. Should have gone to Bar-B-Barn, which is closing by the way.:pout:

Was driving to a friends in Laval and we were going to go with a few guys to watch the game at Le Scratch and since it close by, go to Coronet to get pizza. Almost there when I got pulled over by the boys in blue and had to go to the local station to take care of things. Got going and being in Ville Saint Laurent of Arabia, kinda felt like being back in Qatar there for minute and opted for some shish taouk instead, nice, very good, rivals the best in Ottawa. Le Scratch was fun, they got a Super Chexx bubble hockey game which was a blast, some people just can not play can they, hopeless. Picked up some souvlaki from Marathons afterwards, good skoff. No fear of vampires that night needless to say.:thumbu::thumbu:

• Haha

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I mean, it's not really different than sushi... From top to bottom :

Avocado garnished with hoisin and seasame seeds
Rice with smashed Nori
Crabstick bits with spicy mayo
Rice with smashed Nori

No bake. I'd do some things differently, but it's definitely practical.
I associate lasagna with pasta noodles. If I suggested this to the mrs,she'd skewer me with a wakizashi.:nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don’t often buy asparagus but found some real nice, thin ones and couldn’t resist.

Prepped them as per this super easy method: Perfect Roasted Asparagus

Oven at 425 F, they were soft after 12 mins and the fork went through them with no resistance. Sprinkled with Parmesan at end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Been to Marché 440 a ton — it’s just North of the 15 on the 440 service road in Laval and never even tried this place:

Now, I’ll have to try Deli440 but unlike this reviewer, I don’t want lean smoked meat, it’s much too dry.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Actress Blake Lively is on set in Montreal and donuts from Bernie Beigne, have caught her fancy: Spotted: Blake Lively’s favourite spots in Montreal

I haven’t tried them yet.

For now, my personal favorites are the prune ponkis from the Wawel bakery on 2543 Ontario east. Simple, light and not too sweet. They tend to spoil quickly, so the trick is to freeze them as soon as you get home (if you manage not to eat them in the car first).

Reactions: Fenris

Treal

Jul 6, 2007
Actress Blake Lively is on set in Montreal and donuts from Bernie Beigne, have caught her fancy: Spotted: Blake Lively’s favourite spots in Montreal

I haven’t tried them yet.

For now, my personal favorites are the prune ponkis from the Wawel bakery on 2543 Ontario east. Simple, light and not too sweet. They tend to spoil quickly, so the trick is to freeze them as soon as you get home (if you manage not to eat them in the car first).
Bernie Beigne has quickly become one of my go-to cheat day treats whenever I'm in the area. Decent variety. Recommend the apple fritters.

However, it is steadily gaining a following (probably even moreso now after the Blake Lively endorsement) and tends to get crowded at various times during the day.

Reactions: Runner77

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
At the club this past weekend the chef had outdone himself and prepared a cracker of an ostrich dinner. It was a total ripper the whole soiree and a top protein source, highly recommend and straight forward as it turns out as the recipe shows.

• Wow
Reactions: angusyoung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad