OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 5)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I’m thinking about taking cooking lessons as I don’t have the patience to make elaborate dishes and end up always doing the same ones from my limited rotation. So yeah, for people like me, cooking can be intimidating although I’ve learned a lot in the last 2-3 years.
Honestly, before spending money, I'd suggest just finding a food YouTuber you like and maybe trying a few of their recipes. Chef John (of Foodwishes dot com) is a great, easily approachable one. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt also has a lot of good information and techniques in his videos, but I think Chef John's videos are easier to follow along to.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Have freezer space and limited patience and time at this point but yeah, I’m curious.
Unfortunately everything from scratch takes time,but if big batches,save time later,tough call!

Read the conversation, hes not the one being pretentious. There was an insane lack of respect for what the culinary arts are by a poster just before.
I wasn't being pretentious, guess you missed or purposely omitted mentioning that jerk said the pizza pics in this forum should be ''life imprisoned''. I may not be the brightest bulb in the bin but that does not sound like a complement to me and rather scathing, n'est pas? simply stating the truth. A typical pizza from pizza joints are easy to do, you're elevating it to mythical proportions to culinary works of art and intentionally misleading the receiver of your inability to comprehend this. I have never met any restaurateur, chef, master-chef, sous-chef etc that ever said that the food they were making was a culinary work of art. We were talking pizza here not some Rembrandt masterpiece. FYI, Rembrandt van Rijn was a famous portrait artist.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, before spending money, I'd suggest just finding a food YouTuber you like and maybe trying a few of their recipes. Chef John (of Foodwishes dot com) is a great, easily approachable one. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt also has a lot of good information and techniques in his videos, but I think Chef John's videos are easier to follow along to.

I was looking at a once a week night class offered by a community center but yourself and another poster in this thread made great points about simply emulating chefs on YouTube. Thanks for the suggestions, I might just stick to doing that from the comfort of home.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Ive tested a bunch of ovens, the gozneys are just superior product. I have the Koda 16 and the Karu 12, the gozney roccbox is small, but to me leads to a better cook than the rolling flame of the Koda 12 and 16, and you get enough space to rotate a 10-12 inch pie easily in there (220-250g balls).

Of course, if you have the pocket change, the dome is the ultimate get. I rented two for an event I did... Cooked just as good as the 25k oven I work with. The gozneys have dual-fuel capabilities too, which is nice, even if I personally prefer gas.
curious to know what your dough recipe is. do you change it depending on if you're using a pizza oven or conventional oven?

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How about torisashi? (It's thinly sliced raw chicken)

I have yet to adventure down that road...
Even my mrs won't eat that and she's Japanese! as for me....................

c7d44e55-3027-4d4c-901a-98054a9f2d7d_text.gif

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
curious to know what your dough recipe is. do you change it depending on if you're using a pizza oven or conventional oven?
It always depends on the pizza style, oven Im using, ingredients, fermentation style and time, how it is mixed, how it is kneaded and temperature too lol. No pizza dough recipe will lead the same results.

I generally have a rough idea of what Im doign and adjust from there.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
It always depends on the pizza style, oven Im using, ingredients, fermentation style and time, how it is mixed, how it is kneaded and temperature too lol. No pizza dough recipe will lead the same results.

I generally have a rough idea of what Im doign and adjust from there.
fair enough lol

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
What makes you think you know better than everyone else? maybe you can compare notes with mrb1:laugh:

I'm glad you came back to the topic. It's clear from how you talk about pizza. If you talk like this about pizza, imagine how you can express yourself about other types of food. Do one thing, Google can help you, do a good search, just two words are enough. Art and Pizza. And take notes.

Ah and finally, I never said I was better than anyone but I believe that I can be much more authoritative than you on pizza. From the way you write, for you making pizza or making a sandwich are the same thing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
fair enough lol
Generally though its true that pizzas pretty easy to make, like throw shit in a kitchen aid, and its gonna be good. Its bread and cheese afterall.

If Im at home and not using my Ooni Ill go for a detroit-style pizza. 100%/70%/1%/3% (Flour, water, instant yeast, salt.) So lets say for a very small one, 100g, 70g, 1g, 3g. Mix water and flour for 5 minutes, (You have to reserve some of the water to mix in the yeast after the autolyze, so keep like wtv mls you need for the yeast you have) rest 1 hour-ish, add water+yeast then add salt. Rest on a oiled up/buttered (I prefer the taste of butter, not melted but just soft) blue metal baking tray, or alternatively, a cheap betty crocker 1$ grey pan and boom some 24 hours later you put your cheese (Very low moisture mozz and or brick cheese + some pecorino post bake), strips of tomato sauce and pepperoni (or not) and you bake that bitch at 450F until the bottom is crispy.

Im hungry now.

• Love
Reactions: Shutdown

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Generally though its true that pizzas pretty easy to make, like throw shit in a kitchen aid, and its gonna be good. Its bread and cheese afterall.

If Im at home and not using my Ooni Ill go for a detroit-style pizza. 100%/70%/1%/3% (Flour, water, instant yeast, salt.) So lets say for a very small one, 100g, 70g, 1g, 3g. Mix water and flour for 5 minutes, (You have to reserve some of the water to mix in the yeast after the autolyze, so keep like wtv mls you need for the yeast you have) rest 1 hour-ish, add water+yeast then add salt. Rest on a oiled up/buttered (I prefer the taste of butter, not melted but just soft) blue metal baking tray, or alternatively, a cheap betty crocker 1$ grey pan and boom some 24 hours later you put your cheese (Very low moisture mozz and or brick cheese + some pecorino post bake), strips of tomato sauce and pepperoni (or not) and you bake that bitch at 450F until the bottom is crispy.

Im hungry now.
thanks for the detailed breakdown!

all purpose flour? 00?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
thanks for the detailed breakdown!

all purpose flour? 00?
It shouldn't matter that much, of course the better the ingredient, the better the yield in most cases. Unbleached bread flour is probably preferred here, just brings you to a stronger though for the cheese, sawce and love.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Im hungry now.
Detroit style pizza and Chicago style pizza are both super easy to make / hard to f*** up the dough. And both are great.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
And so delicious.

I do feel like a Napolitano magherita is easier to eat every day though, which is pretty much my life lol.
Do you have a dough recipe you could share? I've tried a bunch and never been super satisfied. I don't have a pizza oven so I'm sure that plays into it but the pizza stone does help.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Do you have a dough recipe you could share? I've tried a bunch and never been super satisfied. I don't have a pizza oven so I'm sure that plays into it but the pizza stone does help.
Yeah sure, but I don't see the appeal, really.

Assuming what a Biga is (If not a quick research would help) and that you don't have access to a sourdough mother

Biga:
750G Pizza flour (I like to use 00 and whole wheat pizza flour 75/25 blend, but you really just could use any pizza flour and experience...
495G water @ Body temp more or less.
1.2g yeast

Cold ferment for 4 days or ferment for 12-24 hours in a warm place (oven with the light on usually is hot enough)

After this mix the dough:
975G of the same flour
550 g of water (Body temp)
40g sea salt

Mix the dough and the biga together after you've mixed the dough. (Use a dough hook or knead, but i do not have the patience to knead, lol. A spiral mixer is always best but those are expensive)

Id make about 220-250g balls depending on the size you want, and then cold ferment the dough balls at least 1 day and up to 4.

Fermentation time is very important for flavour and for air pockets, which creates leoparding like this :

385540743_1270544666976338_7027521104326039092_n.jpg

It doesn't react like this in a normal oven though, as the ovens you would typically use are between 600 and 1000F. (A "real" authentic napolitana needs a 900F oven or it's not approved.) I'd buy Pizz Czar by Anthony Falco, I don't have it on me right now, but Im sure there's a "home" recipe in there, plenty of very cool pizza related recipes too.

If you want to try it on a stone, Ive heard good thing of building an oven inside your oven and turning the broiler on, basically use your stone and another stone on the top rack, with smaller stones on the sides and back. I followed a guy that did only that and had a spectacular product but I can't find him anymore. At this point though, just buy a gozney/ooni it's gonna be less expensive and much more fun to learn.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Yeah sure, but I don't see the appeal, really.

Assuming what a Biga is (If not a quick research would help) and that you don't have access to a sourdough mother

Biga:
750G Pizza flour (I like to use 00 and whole wheat pizza flour 75/25 blend, but you really just could use any pizza flour and experience...
495G water @ Body temp more or less.
1.2g yeast

Cold ferment for 4 days or ferment for 12-24 hours in a warm place (oven with the light on usually is hot enough)

After this mix the dough:
975G of the same flour
550 g of water (Body temp)
40g sea salt

Mix the dough and the biga together after you've mixed the dough. (Use a dough hook or knead, but i do not have the patience to knead, lol. A spiral mixer is always best but those are expensive)

Id make about 220-250g balls depending on the size you want, and then cold ferment the dough balls at least 1 day and up to 4.

Fermentation time is very important for flavour and for air pockets, which creates leoparding like this :

View attachment 778833

It doesn't react like this in a normal oven though, as the ovens you would typically use are between 600 and 1000F. (A "real" authentic napolitana needs a 900F oven or it's not approved.) I'd buy Pizz Czar by Anthony Falco, I don't have it on me right now, but Im sure there's a "home" recipe in there, plenty of very cool pizza related recipes too.

If you want to try it on a stone, Ive heard good thing of building an oven inside your oven and turning the broiler on, basically use your stone and another stone on the top rack, with smaller stones on the sides and back. I followed a guy that did only that and had a spectacular product but I can't find him anymore. At this point though, just buy a gozney/ooni it's gonna be less expensive and much more fun to learn.
Awesome. Thanks.

I'm sure not having the pizza oven is the biggest thing, but I've also never done a 4 day ferment either. appreciate it!

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
These things rule, great at any time. don't get the knock on spam, musubi, should be way more popular.
snacky snacks.jpg

A niece and a few of her friends were in Sicily recently and she wanted to do a dinner, you what that means, expect pasta to be served, I'm not a huge fan of pasta but this was actually pretty good. It was not traditional and she showed us the recipe and it looks easy and quick. The side was even better, if you like eggplant, and is very traditional, got the recipe for that as well, looks straight forward enough.

Thai food tonight folks!
gameboyluke-wow-how-very-vague.gif

:nod::laugh:

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm glad you came back to the topic. It's clear from how you talk about pizza. If you talk like this about pizza, imagine how you can express yourself about other types of food. Do one thing, Google can help you, do a good search, just two words are enough. Art and Pizza. And take notes.

Ah and finally, I never said I was better than anyone but I believe that I can be much more authoritative than you on pizza. From the way you write, for you making pizza or making a sandwich are the same thing.
Do you realize the topic is commercial pizza dough for restaurants that rely on takeout and delivery, so called pizza shops, dives, greasyspoons etc. Not hard to do, and even whatshisname is saying it after all and others too, lots of seeds in a vanilla bean pod eh.

Art? I collect art, antiquities it adorns wall, curios and some free standing, food I eat. Tastes good, looks good, good!

If you're comparing making a sandwich and a pizza as the same thing, wow is all I can say.

For some gatherings I'll do pulled pork sandwiches, pork previously prepped, takes a long time! The bread I'll pick up at a bakery that I'm in on.

And Tapas are good at anytime, light lunch, snack.
Boun appetito.

• Haha
Reactions: Incubajerks

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Christmas coming soon and we be doing duck. We got the world famous Brome lake ducks flown in and some pate. My mouth is already drooling but that's the current daily situation anyways.
Lots of recipes out there but going with this tried and true, simply delectable.

Canards-du-Lac-Brome-canard-entier-produit-frais-1024x732.jpgpate_fois_porto-1024x732.jpg

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Seen on National last night Salmonella outbreak in cantaloupe killed 5 Canadians. More than 100 sick. I never heard tell of Salmonella in produce before? Always associated it with chickens, eggs. Sounds like dangerous stuff though. Imported from Mexico they said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad