THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Murray is 80th out of the 128 defensmen who have played 220 games or more in points per game since he's been in the league. That's the bottom of the barrel of second pairing. Throw out his first year and he's bottom pairing offensive production.

His GA/60 5v5 minutes for his career is 117/149. Bottom pairing.

Stats through 2016-17.

Neat.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The notion that Murray is worth 1.35+ goals differential is preposterous. You know it. I know it. The Pope might even know it. Any "analysis" which purports to show this (Ryan Murray a 115-120 goals differential positive) isn't worthy of dissection. It's an automatic throw out.
"This doesn't fit my repeated narrative of Murray being worthless trash, so I'm going to ignore anything that suggests otherwise, no matter who presents it."

Said it before and I'll say it again - just because you, personally don't immediately see how he's affecting the game doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
"This doesn't fit my repeated narrative of Murray being worthless trash, so I'm going to ignore anything that suggests otherwise, no matter who presents it."

Said it before and I'll say it again - just because you, personally don't immediately see how he's affecting the game doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Suggesting by the use of infantile correlations that Ryan Murray is worth 100 goals to the CBJ warrants a response.

Even if it doesn't fit your narrative.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Suggesting by the use of infantile correlations that Ryan Murray is worth 100 goals to the CBJ warrants a response.
Except you didn't respond. You immediately promptly dismissed it, despite the fact that it's been shown to you before by different posters coming at it from a different perspective. But it doesn't come to use from the simple perspective you use to judge everyone and everything, so apparently you seem to think it does not exist.

Do I think that he's got that much of an impact on every game? I think it's counterintuitive, to be sure. But the numbers suggest that something very much like that is there. Which is very, very different from your insisting that he's trash and unworthy of any NHL roster anywhere (not in recent posts, but you've done it before in other threads and have shown no signs of adjusting your position on the issue).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Lots of CBJ fans waiting for Jarmo to call Torts into his office and say:

Wishful thinking. We’re still waiting on Jarmo to aquire that number one center from this summer. Move absolutely needs made, teams forwards are much better then they are playing, but constantly having to cover for the D jumping up , is a systematic problem.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Team is #31 on PP for 50+ games. Guy is still employed. Finnish GM just doesn't have balls to fire a "2 times Jack Adams winner."

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
A coaching change and a decent trade would propel this team into the playoffs IMO. Status quo and I think we miss.

I don't think so. The team needs to win 16-17 games out of 21.

I was against hiring Tortorella but I don't lay the blame for this season on him. I think it's a young team that needs time to grow up and is missing some key components.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
There was a time that things like this didn't make too much sense in our development. Having said that, we've had some expected performances from OB and PLD. Probably the only surprise is Anderson. For the most part the team is now quite stagnant right now and I'm just seeing regression at this point.

The bar has been raised with this team, maybe it's time to act like we are a real franchise?

Cheers

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
We're currently one point out of a playoff position with a game in hand with the two teams ahead of us for the wild card. I don't think Torts gets fired when we're still so close. If we lose 2-3 more games and that gap widens, I think we should let Torts go and give Larson a "try-out."

I know a lot of people have quips about Larson, but I think the powerplay has struggled mostly because of Torts. If you look at the Springfield Falcons, the only time they made the playoffs since 02-03 were the two years that Larson was the head coach. If we lose the next few games and the playoffs are out of reach, I wouldn't mind seeing a change, but I don't think that change happens when we're a point out of a WC spot with a game in hand.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
We're currently one point out of a playoff position with a game in hand with the two teams ahead of us for the wild card. I don't think Torts gets fired when we're still so close. If we lose 2-3 more games and that gap widens, I think we should let Torts go and give Larson a "try-out."

I know a lot of people have quips about Larson, but I think the powerplay has struggled mostly because of Torts. If you look at the Springfield Falcons, the only time they made the playoffs since 02-03 were the two years that Larson was the head coach. If we lose the next few games and the playoffs are out of reach, I wouldn't mind seeing a change, but I don't think that change happens when we're a point out of a WC spot with a game in hand.

Respectfully disagree about giving Larsen an opportunity. IF Torts does get canned, I’d give Shaw an opportunity. Shaw seems more fit for a HC role and IIRC there was talk about Shaw being a HC candidate for a few teams this past off season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Torts isn't getting fired in the season. That's just not going to happen.

I tend to agree. It is almost too late to do that. But I don't see them offering the one year expansion like last year so if he isn't fired the team had better start PDQ or he will be gone quickly.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Just a friendly reminder:

We had to give up our 2nd round pick in the past draft to Vancouver. That draft pick was Jonah Gadjovich. Name might sound familiar to a few. He was extremely impressive at the WJC for Canada. Has 30 points, 16 goals in 29 games in the OHL as a 19 year old. 6 foot 2, 210 pound LWer.

Jonah Gadjovich

:help:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I tend to agree. It is almost too late to do that. But I don't see them offering the one year expansion like last year so if he isn't fired the team had better start PDQ or he will be gone quickly.
To me that’s a disastrous approach though. It’s pretty much a given that John Madden is let go as the monsters coach. So do we hire someone who coaches a style Similiar to Torts , only to let him go at the beginning of the season ? Management has to know that Torts system is the reason this team struggles so badly on offense . Nearly every forward on this team is having one of their worst seasons , that’s not coincidence , and with the puckmovers we have on defense , there’s no excuse for it . Today is another example , we recall Zac Dalpe instead of Milano. There is no reason that Jenner can’t slide to center . He was actually much more engaged as a center when playing there , earlier this season .

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'm open minded and undecided on this. Can you explain why you think he should be fired?

A couple of reasons. I've been pretty meh on this subject since the thread was started, but last night's game was the last straw.

Our offense is inept and has no basic system. I'm pretty sick and tired of Torts' mantra of "not coaching the offense". Something has to give, there is no reason why we should be in the bottom-5 of scoring in the entire league. If you watch any well-coached team, they come at you in waves of speed through the neutral zone, then move the puck quickly and drive to the net once in the offensive zone (Pittsburgh, Vegas to name a few). The team has gotten away from this mentality since January of LAST YEAR. It's so nauseating watching this chip and chase style of play and not driving, let alone maintaining, controlled possession. This same BS happened in NY with Torts towards the end of his tenure.

Which leads me to the power play. Yes, they have been better of late. But again, the PP was a momentum killer last night. Someone's head needs to roll for the failure of the PP, and that should be Torts for allowing it to go this stale.

Finally, the lineup decisions and not being able to motivate the team to rise up in the moment. The team looked like they went out drinking till 4 AM before the Pittsburgh game. Frankly, it seemed like no forwards outside of Panarin and Atkinson cared. I could go on, but I think we all understand how poor the team has played in big moments, especially over this most important stretch of games that will decide our season (which they have lost 11 of the last 15).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad