The Fire Boucher Movement

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Will $ get in the way of firing Boucher and/or Dorion... I am not sure of the terms of these guy's contracts ... Will Melnyk agree to fire and pay them and have to pay someone else... Less expensive options may be to promote Randy and Crawford and hire new assistants.

Boucher has to account..imo, but so does Dorion. It's going to get uglier than it is now.

Tough times to be a Sens fan

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think now he has to be fired after the season. The team is completely disjointed.

Dorion has to hit a homer on his next hire like Yzerman did with Cooper after Boucher - but not make the same
mistake Yzerman did and keep a lame duck coach into year 3.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Every time a coach gets fired, the team responds by winning a few game. We're headed straight for a top 3 pick. Firing the coach is the last thing we should do right now. It would only help us get worst odds in the lottery.

Play the kids, get the pick and get back at it next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Will $ get in the way of firing Boucher and/or Dorion... I am not sure of the terms of these guy's contracts ... Will Melnyk agree to fire and pay them and have to pay someone else... Less expensive options may be to promote Randy and Crawford and hire new assistants.

Boucher has to account..imo, but so does Dorion. It's going to get uglier than it is now.

I agree, I doubt EM is going to want to pay coaches to not coach this team. Randy Lee is not qualified to be GM, he simply doesn't have the expertise required & sadly I don't see anyone else in this organization right now who is qualified either. EM went out & got BM so I wonder if he is out there now looking for some veteran GM to bring in to right the ship & bring some stability to this organization. I doubt it. The new president EM brought in certainly hasn't fixed anything, maybe made things worse.

As you say it all comes down to money, EM seems to be having money problems, he will probably try & ride this yr out & see what happens to start next yr. Maybe over the summer there will be some coaches & GMs available who are not available now. My guess is that he waits until xmas of next yr to see if Dorion has fixed things before looking to replace the GM. Hopefully, PD has replaced GB by then & if GB goes he's likely replaced by MC to keep costs down. Do you ever see the day when Alfredsson is brought back to be the GM of the Sens? NO, not with this ownership but with new ownership .... maybe. I would love to see new ownership, new GM & new coach.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree, I doubt EM is going to want to pay coaches to not coach this team. Randy Lee is not qualified to be GM, he simply doesn't have the expertise required & sadly I don't see anyone else in this organization right now who is qualified either. EM went out & got BM so I wonder if he is out there now looking for some veteran GM to bring in to right the ship & bring some stability to this organization. I doubt it. The new president EM brought in certainly hasn't fixed anything, maybe made things worse.

As you say it all comes down to money, EM seems to be having money problems, he will probably try & ride this yr out & see what happens to start next yr. Maybe over the summer there will be some coaches & GMs available who are not available now. My guess is that he waits until xmas of next yr to see if Dorion has fixed things before looking to replace the GM. Hopefully, PD has replaced GB by then & if GB goes he's likely replaced by MC to keep costs down. Do you ever see the day when Alfredsson is brought back to be the GM of the Sens? NO, not with this ownership but with new ownership .... maybe. I would love to see new ownership, new GM & new coach.

I agree Randy Lee is barely qualified for an AGM job. The organization is thread bare and the current people are rather inexperienced. To turn it around .. the house has to be swept clean , but they need to be replaced by quality, experienced people. As long as Melnyk wants to go the cheap route with the front office, coaching and player payroll.. I can't see it changing much no matter who is in the current seats. Its like try this guy and this philosophy and ... no not working, lets try something else and so on. It seems like it is spiraling. Can we have a quick turn around with the current management and coaching... Will Karlsson want to stay through thin and more thin.. will Duchene? Will Melnyk allow sufficient retention to move Phaneuf and Ryan .. Are sufficent quality replacements available if they make changes to rebound to a playoff team?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Melnyk may be cheap but the one thing he hates more than spending money is losing money. Dorion and Boucher are losing him money and they will continue to lose him money moving forwards with their bad decisions so unless Melnyk is completely nuts both will be fired this off season. I could possibly see him promoting Crawford to save money but I doubt he would promote Randy Lee. My guess is that he either gets completely fed up and finally sells the team or he finally decides that his investment is in better hands with someone that is competent and experienced. I could see him actually hiring Lombardi but at the same time Melnyk could just blame the fans again and do something stupid.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think now he has to be fired after the season. The team is completely disjointed.

Dorion has to hit a homer on his next hire like Yzerman did with Cooper after Boucher - but not make the same

Dorion is likely and should be done as a GM. He isn't prepared for the role at all. He only had 2 years experience as an assistant GM and our farm team sucked. He then took over as the GM last year and hired a coach who now has a track record of only being good for 1 season. Dorion is not fit to be the GM and that is reflected by how poorly the team is doing, his lack of willingness to fire the coach, his horrible extensions to our goalies and his lack of ability to replace the lost skill and leadership from last season. We don't need to give Dorion another chance, nor does he deserve to stick around

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Every time a coach gets fired, the team responds by winning a few game. We're headed straight for a top 3 pick. Firing the coach is the last thing we should do right now. It would only help us get worst odds in the lottery.

Boucher can help us tank this year but he needs to be fired this off season. Dorion and Lee should be fired as well.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Melnyk may be cheap but the one thing he hates more than spending money is losing money. Dorion and Boucher are losing him money and they will continue to lose him money moving forwards with their bad decisions so unless Melnyk is completely nuts both will be fired this off season. I could possibly see him promoting Crawford to save money but I doubt he would promote Randy Lee. My guess is that he either gets completely fed up and finally sells the team or he finally decides that his investment is in better hands with someone that is competent and experienced. I could see him actually hiring Lombardi but at the same time Melnyk could just blame the fans again and do something stupid.

Yah I am not sure what Melnyk thinks... Would he think that spending more on a GM (front office) and Coaching and possibly players translates to bums in the seats in numbers that would amount to more $ in his pocket.. or would he think that they will get 14,000 people in to watch, while the new building is being readied, and cut costs until then to make his ends meet.

I have so little faith at this point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

You forgot to mention that Melnyk himself is costing himself money almost everytime he opens his mouth. A lot of people don't go to games because they are disgusted with him same as they were with the Gliebermans when they ran the Renegades.

I wonder to save a buck if EM would bring back Tim Murray to help run things either under Dorion or above him or more likely to replace him? Now he's a fun guy.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yah I am not sure what Melnyk thinks... Would he think that spending more on a GM (front office) and Coaching and possibly players translates to bums in the seats in numbers that would amount to more $ in his pocket.. or would he think that they will get 14,000 people in to watch, while the new building is being readied, and cut costs until then to make his ends meet.

I have so little faith at this point.

The thing I don't understand is that for a billionaire he doesn't come across as a very competent business person. He blames the fans for not paying for the games but then he puts a low quality product on the ice offers poor amenities and then charges prices that are vastly higher than the quality of the product. From a business stand point the market has spoken, the market is unwilling to purchase his product at that price. He can either lower the price or offer a superior product. But instead he complains and suggests that it is a bad market and that what he needs is a new market. I honestly don't see any hockey market that would be willing to pay these ticket prices for this product. On top of that he claims that he wants to spend money wisely and that he sets up an internal budget because he believes that a hockey franchise can be successful without overspending. But then he hires inexperienced managers and coaches, has a small management staff and only a few scouts and arguably pays then on the low end of the compensation scale. Then he is surprised that not only is it not getting the results he wants but that his inexperienced GM is spending money poorly and burdening this organization with bad contracts. From a business stand point he should understand that paying a higher wage for a better GM, better coach and better scouts will lead to a superior use of capital by the organization. There is a lower probability that he will need to fire anyone and pay them to not work for him. He will be less likely to be stuck with bad contracts where players are vastly over paid and the players they sign and trade for will have a more accurate valuation to them and in turn the organization will be less likely to miss use trade assets or capital. For a billionaire very little suggests that he actually has good sound business sense.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People expecting Dorion to be fired are probably going to end up very disappointed. I think Melnyk looks at this roster and thinks its pretty much the same as last year, so he will blame other factors he can see in front of him like the terrible coaching and sieve goaltending. He seemed pretty happy with last years moves and results, and he really seemed to love the Duchene trade, so I think he gives Dorion at least another summer.

Reactions: Sensung

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016

But the point is that Boucher doesn't play the kids

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree Randy Lee is barely qualified for an AGM job. The organization is thread bare and the current people are rather inexperienced. To turn it around .. the house has to be swept clean , but they need to be replaced by quality, experienced people. As long as Melnyk wants to go the cheap route with the front office, coaching and player payroll.. I can't see it changing much no matter who is in the current seats. Its like try this guy and this philosophy and ... no not working, lets try something else and so on. It seems like it is spiraling. Can we have a quick turn around with the current management and coaching... Will Karlsson want to stay through thin and more thin.. will Duchene? Will Melnyk allow sufficient retention to move Phaneuf and Ryan .. Are sufficent quality replacements available if they make changes to rebound to a playoff team?

Exactly.

It's all about hiring the best people you can get your hands on. Worry about the finances later (to a reasonable degree, of course). That's how successful businessmen succeed.

We lucked out a fair bit with Bryan Murray. Say what you will about him, but he did a pretty good job considering the financial and resource restraints he had, and he was instrumental in keeping Eugene on a bit of a leash. I do have some hope for Dorion. Jim Benning was absolute trash in Vancouver at first, but is slowing coming around to being a competent GM. Perhaps, with a few better around him, Dorion might follow the same path, maybe? But he definitely needs help.

But, it all comes down to Melynk. He's got to start operating this team like a first class organization. Marketing, office personnel, scouting, coaching....every aspect of this team needs more money to work with.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

You think Dorion sticks around if Boucher gets fired?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The thing I don't understand is that for a billionaire he doesn't come across as a very competent business person. He blames the fans for not paying for the games but then he puts a low quality product on the ice offers poor amenities and then charges prices that are vastly higher than the quality of the product. From a business stand point the market has spoken, the market is unwilling to purchase his product at that price. He can either lower the price or offer a superior product. But instead he complains and suggests that it is a bad market and that what he needs is a new market. I honestly don't see any hockey market that would be willing to pay these ticket prices for this product. On top of that he claims that he wants to spend money wisely and that he sets up an internal budget because he believes that a hockey franchise can be successful without overspending. But then he hires inexperienced managers and coaches, has a small management staff and only a few scouts and arguably pays then on the low end of the compensation scale. Then he is surprised that not only is it not getting the results he wants but that his inexperienced GM is spending money poorly and burdening this organization with bad contracts. From a business stand point he should understand that paying a higher wage for a better GM, better coach and better scouts will lead to a superior use of capital by the organization. There is a lower probability that he will need to fire anyone and pay them to not work for him. He will be less likely to be stuck with bad contracts where players are vastly over paid and the players they sign and trade for will have a more accurate valuation to them and in turn the organization will be less likely to miss use trade assets or capital. For a billionaire very little suggests that he actually has good sound business sense.

Product was amazing in the playoffs and a good record last year, so much about your point. Your definition of a superior product, no clue what that is...but Karlsson is fun to watch. Don't you worry about coaches and scouts, Everyone gets bent out of shape worrying about the front office. Why, and how does it impact what is on the ice? They have drafted very well, and the players are coming. Everyone here wants to micromanage this team.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I could see Boucher out and Crawford promoted to save $ happening. I think Dorion is here to stay at least another year.

I don't think a full sweep will happen this year (sadly).

Reactions: Sensung

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
He will have a short leash starting next season - one bad stretch early on and he's gone.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Ottawa has played the "fire the coach after two seasons" card to many times now, and doing it another time is not going to address the underlying issues.

I don't know how many coaches need to be hired, and fired after two seasons you think it's going to take before getting lucky or something.............. before you think it's time for a look at the core players as being a possible reason for the teams mediocre play.

Perhaps something different, besides firing a coach after two seasons needs to be tried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad