The English Lower League thread (Part 2)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Re: Welcome to Wrexham, episode 4, "Shaun's vacation" was one of the funnier ones of the series. McElhenney's idiocy...

Re: episode 5, Dorking Wanders, what a concept, what a manager. I wish all the best to them. They at least knew how to benefit from the publicity, unlike Notts County it seems. This show is turning into potentially major publicity event for the lower league teams and I can't understand why anyone would refuse to participate. One would think the Dorking Wanderers case is a perfectly example of positive publicity. Based on their facebook page, they seem to have gotten a lot new fans and it seems sponsors (not sure if it's related):
Just wait till people find out about Dorking's YouTube documentary team (Bunch of Amateurs), I assume they'll be in a future episode cause they had the W to W crew shadow them when they played at the Racecourse later in the year. I actually found out about Dorking since this showed up when looking at some Wrexham stuff on YouTube

Marc is definitely...one of a kind and their story is too - a real-life road to glory version of Football Manager. Sorta came off a bit arrogant and egocentric at first when watching this and some of their other episodes but the more you get to know him and the story he becomes an acquired taste haha. It's a different feel than the W to W series, to be sure...definitely centers around Marc but with reason since he is the founder, owner, football director and gaffer after all haha but their series is a pretty good ground level look at lower league football and they generally have a little five-minute snippet on the team they're playing that episode talking to some opposition supporters. They also go right into every team talk, strategy session and the like in the locker room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Despite being sixth, Birmingham sack John Eustace and are set to appoint Rooney who departed DC United a few days ago. Sheffield Wednesday also sacked Xisco Munoz after only 10 league games in charge, failing to win any of them, if you include cup matches 0 wins in 12

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh yeah that's right Brady does own a piece of Birmingham doesn't he?

Despite being sixth, Birmingham sack John Eustace and are set to appoint Rooney who departed DC United a few days ago. Sheffield Wednesday also sacked Xisco Munoz after only 10 league games in charge, failing to win any of them, if you include cup matches 0 wins in 12
What's Darren Moore doing these days? :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well the FA Cup episode of Welcome To Wrexham definitely delivered. :clap:Billy Sharp, what a twat.
I didn’t even see what he did that caused Parky to tell him to cool it on the field, was he just taunting the Wrexham fans? I know he talked **** after the game for no good reason.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wrexham came from 1-2 behind to win 3-2 yesterday at the Racecourse and moved up to 5th in the table. In the FA Cup 1st round, they were drawn against Mansfield, another League Two side, currently two places above them due to better goal difference.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wrexham came from 1-2 behind to win 3-2 yesterday at the Racecourse and moved up to 5th in the table. In the FA Cup 1st round, they were drawn against Mansfield, another League Two side, currently two places above them due to better goal difference.
0-2 down really...it's just that it was 1-2 in the last five minutes of regular time and they got two goals in like a minute. Almost thought the Devils would have a Wrexham finish last night, haha

Yeah I saw about thirty seconds to a minute of Marc going off, hoo boy dudes are gonna be running laps this week. And it's not like the players can get the coach sacked here lol

• Haha
Reactions: Jussi

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Gary Rowett resigns as Millwall manager, did extremely well but last two seasons kind of choked in the hunt for the playoff spots

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Flew over to England last night for my 7th Pompey match... Was winless until today!

93rd minute winner! Still unbeaten, still top of the league!

PXL_20231021_141440196.jpg

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Tied with Notts County in the table, one goal difference between the two. Stockport 5 points ahead of the pair. Mansfield with a game in ahead and could leap frog both of them.

Reactions: GabeTravels

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
QPR sack Ainsworth and Bristol City sack Nigel Pearson. QPR make something of an outside of the box appointment, young Spanish manager Marti Cifuentes who was mostly recently as Swedish side Hammarby and spent most of his career in Scandinavia. Bristol also go the foreign route with Michael Silberbauer who's only first team coaching experience was with Utrecht and interestingly enough Pacific in the Canadian league.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Big win for Leeds at Leicester, after a slow start they are in the automatic promotion picture

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Huge League One shakeup as 2nd place Oxford lose their manager to Championship Bristol City.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Two Wrexham episodes dropped this week, season finale next week. Episode 14, let's just say Charlie Day wasn't the only one tearing up when Anthony Forde scored the opening goal. The Gang Went To a Football Game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad