Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Definitely should be credit for improving, but again, he went and got a new goalie coach who is pretty respectable, and Elvis kind of discredited him by saying it was all him and the work he did during the summer. That's all fine and stuff, but just toe the line and say that he's been helping and leave it at that. I'm sure that kind of pissed off Jarmo, and Backstrom.

As far as expecting Vezina level goaltending with the team he has had him play behind the last two years, yeah, that's a little much if that is what he expected.
I still believe that was fully taken out of context if anyone listened to that entire postgame interview.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Curiously the Inside Edge podcast just had Niklas Bäckström on as a guest in their latest episode, this was before Saturday's Seattle game (and before Elvis' pre-trade request comments). Did not sound like any bad blood within the goalie people at all. Bäckström said something to the effect of "Elvis has been playing really well", worked his ass off in the summer on his own, has tried to play calmer and trust his positioning more, etc. Jody and McElligott didn't really hammer on the three goalie rotation enough, like how much can Bäckström influence that, but I came away thinking that the decision goes higher up than Bäckström but he's also on board seeing what we have in Tarasov (so basically Bäckström is good at walking the company line). But he did say it's a "around the table" discussion and he brings his opinion.

To my ears it sounded like he was pretty effusive about Greaves, too. More so than Tarasov, but maybe it just worked out that way in the flow of the conversation.

In my opinion we should just ride Elvis until he's traded, maybe he can up his value and put his money literally where his goalie pads are.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In my opinion we should just ride Elvis until he's traded, maybe he can up his value and put his money literally where his goalie pads are.

This is where I am. Leave Jet in Cleveland. Ride Elvis. I’d waive Tarasov. The idea he is NHL ready is not based in reality - it is based on an impressive save percentage from parts of 4 games two seasons ago.

1705362888887.png

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Here is my 2 cents (that means nothing) - ride Elvis to summer unless something in trade is in the CBJ favor.

Jarmo could or will be out and let the dust settle. Wayyy too much drama on this team that is pretty low in the standings.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Asked on Monday if he could continue to play with the specter of a trade looming, Merzlikins had an abrupt answer.

“Yes, because I’m really mad, and I’m pulling the monster out of me.”

Asked with whom he was angry, Merzlikins shot back: “Don’t worry about it. Don’t worry about it. It’s personal.”

Let's be real, he's talking about Jarmo here. I don't think the players or the fans trust Jarmo right now as far as they could throw him. I know I am completely uncomfortable with him doing anything leading up to and through this trade deadline. His job as on the line and that is a dangerous predicament.

Reactions: Napoli and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If indeed the issues with Elvis are off-ice, it’s just another indictment of the leadership of the team, both at the player level and organizational level. There’s something really amiss here.

I'll give a counterpoint.

After the Bruins formed the core of their leadership group around Chara and Bergeron, they had several high profile acrimonious exits in the following seasons. First it was Kessel, and then it was Seguin, and then Hamilton. When the leadership sets the tone, some players don't follow and have to find new homes.

Not surprising and he has every right to considering he has played much better this year but the organization clearly doesn't support him. Jarmo is desperate to try and prove Tarasov isn't a bust.

I really don't think Tarasov is central to this. I think it's a distrust of Elvis, largely to do with off-ice factors, that has been brewing for years. They don't want him in the room. I think the decision to move on when they can from Elvis was made a long time ago, there's no need for a trade request, they're already trying. That they're trying to trade him is perhaps why he's been sitting lately, because they don't want an injury or bad start to derail a deal that is very close.

I'm not. They traded their best performing goalie last year also. This team has a lot more issues than Elvis, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out because the rebuild isn't moving fast enough. There was a disconnect somewhere, whether it was Elvis or management, to me it doesn't matter, the team will move on. It is a shame it didn't work out.

I guess my comments are the same as I made above. This goes way further back, to Matiss and Manny, and also to the very bad year last year.

Elvis Merzlikins is the best goaltender we have. The problem is, he's still not a #1. He's had opportunities to nail down that spot and prove that he's a long-term franchise goalie, and he just hasn't done it. That's why we're in the position we're in. He's been good in stretches; that's all. That's any NHL goalie.

Elvis has played like a #1 goalie this year. I don't think there's any on-ice problem with him this year.

Reactions: squashmaple

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

After the Bruins formed the core of their leadership group around Chara and Bergeron, they had several high profile acrimonious exits in the following seasons. First it was Kessel, and then it was Seguin, and then Hamilton. When the leadership sets the tone, some players don't follow and have to find new homes.
Yeah I already backed off that a bit. I just don’t like all the “stuff.”

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Maybe, but I still see a lack of a leadership core on this team. When this team has leaders like Chara and Bergeron I might be more inclined to buy into this.

Get this bum out of here.
I agree. Jarmo must go.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I really don't think Tarasov is central to this. I think it's a distrust of Elvis, largely to do with off-ice factors, that has been brewing for years. They don't want him in the room. I think the decision to move on when they can from Elvis was made a long time ago, there's no need for a trade request, they're already trying. That they're trying to trade him is perhaps why he's been sitting lately, because they don't want an injury or bad start to derail a deal that is very close.

I guess my comments are the same as I made above. This goes way further back, to Matiss and Manny, and also to the very bad year last year.

Elvis has played like a #1 goalie this year. I don't think there's any on-ice problem with him this year.
Seguin is fair and although the trade didnt work out they thought they were getting a stud 2 way top line guy. Hamilton however they tried to sign pretty hard but thats when he was the outcast and wanted something different

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I saw that, I just like talking about the Bruins and team building. It's my thing.

Maybe, but I still see a lack of a leadership core on this team. When this team has leaders like Chara and Bergeron I might be more inclined to buy into this.

I wish we had a leadership group like Boston. But I fear we are somewhere between the rumored toxic leadership of the Jets from a few years ago and no leadership. I really didn’t like the whole reaction to the Babcock phone scandal by the leadership group.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wish we had a leadership group like Boston. But I fear we are somewhere between the rumored toxic leadership of the Jets from a few years ago and no leadership. I really didn’t like the whole reaction to the Babcock phone scandal by the leadership group.
Toxic or just not really present? I mean when have guys like Boone who is a lead by example type but who speaks? Who keeps guys accountable? Who gets in your face and tells you what you dont want to hear but need to?

KCbus

Someday, we’ll have an NHL team.
Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I don't agree. He's played like OUR #1, because he's the best WE have, but he hasn't been anything special. He's 27th in the league in save percentage among goalies that have played 10 or more games. He seems like he's usually good for one soft goal against every game. He's also immature and easily flustered.

I'm not saying the guy's terrible, or that he can't be a competent NHL netminder. But he's not worth the money we're currently paying him, and he's not special. He's a guy. He's never shown any ability to play consistent, game-in and game-out great hockey except in spurts.

Unlike some other people, I'm not freaking out that he's still on the roster and pissed off that we haven't traded him yet. Pre-trade demand, I wouldn't have been burning midnight oil to move him. For a team that's going nowhere, a case could be made that you should give him the net and turn him loose and see what happens, because no one else has stepped up to the job either. But he hasn't been NEARLY good enough to be copping the attitude he's copping because they wanted to look at someone else.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't agree. He's played like OUR #1, because he's the best WE have, but he hasn't been anything special. He's 27th in the league in save percentage among goalies that have played 10 or more games. He seems like he's usually good for one soft goal against every game. He's also immature and easily flustered.

I'm not saying the guy's terrible, or that he can't be a competent NHL netminder. But he's not worth the money we're currently paying him, and he's not special. He's a guy. He's never shown any ability to play consistent, game-in and game-out great hockey except in spurts.

Unlike some other people, I'm not freaking out that he's still on the roster and pissed off that we haven't traded him yet. Pre-trade demand, I wouldn't have been burning midnight oil to move him. For a team that's going nowhere, a case could be made that you should give him the net and turn him loose and see what happens, because no one else has stepped up to the job either. But he hasn't been NEARLY good enough to be copping the attitude he's copping because they wanted to look at someone else.
And his goals saved above expected average is 1. Average but not bad considering how bad the team is. He's not exactly Vitek Vanecek and his -13.4.

Jusse Saros is -8.2 and Marc-Andre Fleury is -7.3 right now.

Reactions: MAHJ71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Id be curious to know some of these conversations behind closed doors are like. Elvis isnt even the 1st goalie we've been through this with. He just talks more than Bob did

Reactions: thebus88

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I think it is clear that this is an off ice issue.

One incident I think could have set Elvis off is the lack of support from Vincent over the Wilson fight in comparison to the support Gudbranson got in the Cousins fight.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think it is clear that this is an off ice issue.

One incident I think could have set Elvis off is the lack of support from Vincent over the Wilson fight in comparison to the support Gudbranson got in the Cousins fight.
It just gets me they swore for 2 weeks he wasn't being punished. (at least PV did, jarmo was silent) Then Jarmo opens his mouth and says he could "earn" the #1 job back and Pascal seem caught offguard.

I think Jarmo is the puppetmaster on this whole thing and Pascal is just in the dark on it and following orders like a good soldier. Or they are both liars and can't take the time to get their stories straight.

I just think Pascal is sort of stuck in the middle here. Its a battle of egos.

I personally don't think Elvis is that polarizing. When the team is winning, he's a personality that is easy to get behind and follow into battle. When the team isn't winning he's an easy target to blame. He speaks the truth and doesn't speak in sports cliches. There are people who love his honesty and also hate it depending on what he says.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Been a fan of Elvis from the beginning, but with the further comments today I just find myself wishing for a resolution here. For both sides.

This team continuing to air out its dirty laundry sucks to see as a fan and it would be nice if ownership showed up for at least a day.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
His celebration last night, reminded me of his celebration from his 1st NHL win

Attachments

• Pure joy - - CBJ @Merzly30.mp4
    3.2 MB

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Been a fan of Elvis from the beginning, but with the further comments today I just find myself wishing for a resolution here. For both sides.

This team continuing to air out its dirty laundry sucks to see as a fan and it would be nice if ownership showed up for at least a day.
Certainly not saying Elvis is without blame here but it is insane how much drama our front office gets involved in. It's certainly the common denominator here.

Reactions: LJ7 and koteka

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Get this bum out of here.

Yeah, really, do people think it’s a coincidence that none of the players are speaking up at all or in any positive way for Elvis?? The only mistake Jarmo made is giving him the contract to begin with and allowing this to go on for so long.
Toxic or just not really present? I mean when have guys like Boone who is a lead by example type but who speaks? Who keeps guys accountable? Who gets in your face and tells you what you dont want to hear but need to?
Is the problem Boone and his leadership? Or is it the problem guys like him and Gudbranson are “handcuffed” with what they can or can’t say to the “superstars”?? How the hell can you hold any of these guys accountable when they bitch and moan and handle criticism so terribly!?!

How did these current guys handle Torts? People claim Larsen was too easy on the players, but what happened when he attempted to hold Laine accountable on the bench? And like Torts, what subsequently happened to him? What about Babcock? We still don’t know the full story there, seems just more aspect of “accountability” certain players can’t handle. Hell, our players were more vocally defensive of Babcock than they have been of Elvis.

Would having Dubinsky here yelling at these guys be better or worse?? Him beating up Laine/Elvis is the locker room wouldn’t be any good.

Not to mention, some of you have obviously never played on a hockey team where the players hated their goalie. That’s quite clearly what we have going on here.

I’m also not convinced he’s “outplayed” Martin this year. A WAIVER PICKUP. The “numbers” mean nothing and could quite literally flip flop after just another handful of starts for each guy.

Anyways, BYE BYE!! You will not be missed.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad