GDT: The Draft Lottery Sucks - Coyotes Get #5 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Assuming we draft him and he plays next year, we're going to have too many LWers. Likely means one of Domi/Perlini/Crouse is moved out in the significant deal Chayka is talking about. And I don't imagine the value of Perlini and Crouse is all that great.
I think Domi is getting traded. I understand why that opinion is unpopular but that’s where I stand.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wahlstrom is like Boeser but with better skating. I think worst case scenario Wahlstrom becomes a full time NHLer in his D+3 year, like Boeser.

I'd probably keep Tkachuk at BU for another year and have him develop with prime minutes.

I think he's NHL ready now, but there's also the option of going to London. I believe the Knights hold his junior rights.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think he's NHL ready now, but there's also the option of going to London. I believe the Knights hold his junior rights.

Tkachuk can probably slide into a bottom six role out of the gate, but that’s not really where I’d want a top five draft pick to develop his offense.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really dont know why but i don't like Bouchard. Prove me wrong

Well, how much do you know about the London Knights? In order to understand how truly amazing Bouchard was this season, you need to grasp the context of the situation. The Knights are a perennial powerhouse, who’s core was getting a little older. Like the Boston Bruins. The Knights are the Bruins.

Let’s say the Bruins just decided to throw in the towel and trade every single veteran player they had just before and just after the Holiday roster freeze. Don’t even wait for the TDL. Just chuck their entire core overboard all at once mid-season. That’s the Knights.

So imagine the Bruins traded Chara, Marchand, Bergeron, and Krecji. That’s what the Knights did. Now imagine what Charlie McAvoy does in that situation. McAvoy is Bouchard, here. The entire NHL and all of Boston expects the team to just lay down and die. Everyone is just waiting for the lottery and expecting a full on tank job. Instead, one player had other ideas. They pin the C on McAvoy’s chest, and he explodes.

McAvoy picks up this storied franchise, puts it on his shoulders and drags his team into the playoffs single handedly. He ends up with more EV points than the next best player on his team has total points. Just blows team production out of the water and ends up far and away the best defenseman in the league.

That’s what Bouchard did. He leads this entire draft class in points for effsakes. There’s nothing more he could possibly do to prove himself. He’s EASILY got the best resume and had the most valuable season of any player in this draft.

He doesn’t dispeydoodle. He doesn’t have the endtoend rushes. He’s not blowing by five defenders or cycling around in the offensive zone untouched for two minutes. He also doesn’t have highlight open ice hits. He doesn’t run people over. He’s not a bull.

He does have a jaw dropping 60 foot stretch pass with pinpoint accuracy ala vintage Keith Yandle. He does make very good decisions with the puck very quickly under pressure ala Clayton Keller. He does throw heat seeking missiles from the point ala OEL. He’s a very smart, very talented, very complete offensive player who and an extraordinarily effective draft season.

Reactions: RABBIT and Kyle003p

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One other point that may play into favor of drafting Tkachuk is he's already tight with a number of our players, like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, and Fischer. He spent a lot of time around the team during the bye week. Some pre-established chemistry there.

Reactions: hbk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One other point that may play into favor of drafting Tkachuk is he's already tight with a number of our players, like Keller, Chychrun, Dvorak, and Fischer. He spent a lot of time around the team during the bye week. Some pre-established chemistry there.
It won't factor at all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tkachuk can probably slide into a bottom six role out of the gate, but that’s not really where I’d want a top five draft pick to develop his offense.
IF he is better than his brother he will be in the NHL next year. Nothing wrong starting on the third line and moving up. Puts pressure on Perlini.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Similar things are being said about the Canes drafting Zadina over Svechnikov because of chemistry with Necas. Personally I think it’s a mistake to make chemistry a significant criterion.

rt

May 13, 2004
I was extremely impressed with Matt in his draft year. Had him way up on my list in the top five. Maybe 4th? Hell of a prospect. Wanted him very badly.

Brady? Eh. I don’t think he’s anywhere near as impressive as Matt as a draft eligible. He could end up better. He might project as better. But he’s absolutely not a better 18 year old.

rt

May 13, 2004
The main reason why I'd pick Wahlstrom over Tkachuk is that Wahlstrom is a RHS and Tkachuk isn't, but I'm also more interested in scoring than edge.
That’s illogical. But I’m right there with you. I probably like Quinn Hughes 4th best in this draft. But he’s a left shot LD. I like Dahlin 1st best and I don’t care that he’s a left shot because he’s a RD. How dumb is that? I even like Svechnikov 2nd and Zadina 3rd and they’re LHS but they’re RW. Why is Tkachuk being LW so off putting? I don’t know, but I’m right there with you.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Like Chicago gives us 8th overall and the Nashville 1st for our 5th overall and the Minnesota 2nd? Ehhhhhh, just because us fans can’t make a decision doesn’t mean the team doesn’t have a clear winner at that spot. It could mean the difference of us getting our 4th rated guy versus our 8th rated guy.

That's actually a really good point. The Coyotes may already know exactly who they are taking and why. In fact, I hope they do.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The main reason why I'd pick Wahlstrom over Tkachuk is that Wahlstrom is a RHS and Tkachuk isn't, but I'm also more interested in scoring than edge.

Also bears repeating that Wahlstrom is nine months younger than Tkachuk and has put up significantly better numbers as a 17 year old than Tkachuk did as a 17 year old on the USNTDP team.

Being a RHS is just a bonus for Wahlstrom for me. It's not the primary criterion I'm using to ranking him above Brady as the best American forward in this draft class.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
That’s illogical. But I’m right there with you. I probably like Quinn Hughes 4th best in this draft. But he’s a left shot LD. I like Dahlin 1st best and I don’t care that he’s a left shot because he’s a RD. How dumb is that? I even like Svechnikov 2nd and Zadina 3rd and they’re LHS but they’re RW. Why is Tkachuk being LW so off putting? I don’t know, but I’m right there with you.

Because

Domi
Keller
Perlini
Martinook
Crouse

Where as RW is
Panik

We have two gaping holes in RW right now and into the future. Cousins can fill in the other RW spot. Merkley is gonna likely bust if he can ever stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad