Michael Russo: The Downfall of Paul Fenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Good Lord what an incompetent idiot. Though, Fletcher did kind of screw him by extending his staff's contract, so Fenton couldn't hire the guys he wanted, which could or could not be a bad thing. This team has needed to switch staffs for a long, long time. So, at least some good will come of it. But yeah, ugh what a terrible hire.

Reactions: a79krgm

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Spending draft picks in order to get help now is a classic, as well as not valuing draft picks in general. Signing aging FA 's in order to " look" competitive, when it is painfully obvious that you will not win a Cup with your roster. Impatience, in general.

Fletcher was the worst in that regard. I believe he was egged on by Leipold. I don't know what Fenton's direction was...something about accumulating LH shot players?

It's interesting that Hextall was fired for being too patient, and was replaced by Fletcher, who promptly made a couple of questionable signings such as Hayes( yuck).
He clearly has opinions about what the team is capable of and which way things should be headed, and that's bound to affect things at a high level. It doesn't bother me because I tend to agree with him, but I get the frustration of anyone that doesn't see it his way.

I don't think that equates to interference on his part, though. It seems like he'll use veto power on questions that are likely to affect the team's finances (like firing people), but I don't see that as much different than teams with internal caps: it's legitimately his job to protect the financial health of the team. If anything this last year has me more convinced than ever that he's hands-off about the actual hockey decisions.

(Edit: Come to think of it, Russo's earlier implications that Leipold put the kibosh on attempts to trade Zucker after his Clancy award are another thing that he declined to put in writing with this last article. And the subject itself was definitely there so it's not like there wasn't opportunity to include it.)

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Spending draft picks in order to get help now is a classic, as well as not valuing draft picks in general. Signing aging FA 's in order to " look" competitive, when it is painfully obvious that you will not win a Cup with your roster. Impatience, in general.

Fletcher was the worst in that regard. I believe he was egged on by Leipold. I don't know what Fenton's direction was...something about accumulating LH shot players?

It's interesting that Hextall was fired for being too patient, and was replaced by Fletcher, who promptly made a couple of questionable signings such as Hayes( yuck).
I'm not convinced CL is all that involved on day to day hockey decisions. He wants to win, sure, and doesn't want to tank, but I don't believe at all that he's telling people to trade for this or that as you are implying.

If anything, Fenton proved even more to me that CL is pretty hands off on those types of decisions, and just provides a general direction of wanting to try to compete now rather than the pain and high risk of an extended rebuild.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Blues fan, here in peace. My best hockey buddy is a Wild fan, suffering through all the Minnesota team struggles. I have a soft spot for the Wild because of that, especially now having been able to experience the satisfaction of my team finally breaking through and seeing how cathartic it was for the community.

1) That was award-winning level journalism. Russo pulled so much detail together on topics that many would probably prefer not to air. You guys are lucky to have Russo on the Wild beat.

2) Obviously Fenton sounds like a train wreck in many ways. But I do wonder at a couple things. He wanted to fire Boudreau and apparently asked for permission on multiple occasions. I wonder why, specifically. Did he just want someone more loyal to him (my suspicion) or did he have reservations about something in particular. In the early part of the season there was a significant stretch where Minnesota looked like one of the top 3 teams in the league (about the same time the Blues looked like the worst).

3) Did Fenton and his owner disagree on other points? Specifically, did Fenton want to do a bigger rebuild including plans to move guys like Suter and Parise before the end of those contracts? The moves he did make were opaque to an outsider. I could never tell if they were trying to create a younger core, or retool for another couple runs at it. Whenever I thought I had an idea, something like the Kessel rumor would come up and confuse the hell out of me.

But did Fenton want to make moves that were nixed by Leipold? Was he forced to try to retool a roster when he had lost confidence in their window? That’s what I suspected prior to reading Russo’s piece. It’s the only way I could account for the schizophrenic roster moves. And I don’t think Russo has talked to anyone that would give that side of things if that’s the case. It’s pretty clear Leipold still thinks he has a playoff team. But the Central is very strong, and a small slip can be the difference between top of the division and sweating for the last Wildcard.

Anyone else with more informed thoughts about these questions? I do think Hextall would be a reasonable choice to take over.

Reactions: CROCODILE SEATS

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Blues fan, here in peace. My best hockey buddy is a Wild fan, suffering through all the Minnesota team struggles. I have a soft spot for the Wild because of that, especially now having been able to experience the satisfaction of my team finally breaking through and seeing how cathartic it was for the community.

1) That was award-winning level journalism. Russo pulled so much detail together on topics that many would probably prefer not to air. You guys are lucky to have Russo on the Wild beat.

2) Obviously Fenton sounds like a train wreck in many ways. But I do wonder at a couple things. He wanted to fire Boudreau and apparently asked for permission on multiple occasions. I wonder why, specifically. Did he just want someone more loyal to him (my suspicion) or did he have reservations about something in particular. In the early part of the season there was a significant stretch where Minnesota looked like one of the top 3 teams in the league (about the same time the Blues looked like the worst).

3) Did Fenton and his owner disagree on other points? Specifically, did Fenton want to do a bigger rebuild including plans to move guys like Suter and Parise before the end of those contracts? The moves he did make were opaque to an outsider. I could never tell if they were trying to create a younger core, or retool for another couple runs at it. Whenever I thought I had an idea, something like the Kessel rumor would come up and confuse the hell out of me.

But did Fenton want to make moves that were nixed by Leipold? Was he forced to try to retool a roster when he had lost confidence in their window? That’s what I suspected prior to reading Russo’s piece. It’s the only way I could account for the schizophrenic roster moves. And I don’t think Russo has talked to anyone that would give that side of things if that’s the case. It’s pretty clear Leipold still thinks he has a playoff team. But the Central is very strong, and a small slip can be the difference between top of the division and sweating for the last Wildcard.

Anyone else with more informed thoughts about these questions? I do think Hextall would be a reasonable choice to take over.

Re: Boudreau - I think mostly it was just normal GM stuff since it's generally the new guy's prerogative to bring in his own coach. On the other hand, Boudreau never really made it into Fenton's "inner circle" and the communication between the two seemed to be lacking. I don't know that it had much to do with loyalty so much as Fenton being fussy about who he decides to work with.

Re: Fenton and Leipold - Theories about who really runs this team are rampant throughout the fanbase, so you'll get all sorts of answers. I've seen several suggesting that Suter was actually behind the firing, despite him being as close with Fenton as anyone. That said, there's no evidence that Leipold's prevented anything that didn't require his permission because of associated financial implications. Not firing Boudreau before his contract was up is one example, but I'm sure he was a factor in letting other staff contracts expire rather than firing them as well. I don't think he had anything to do with the trades, though. There's been nothing reported about him being consulted on any of it, the one exception being the team meetings in January that led to the Aberg and Rask trades. I don't know that it's been explicitly said that he was there, but I always took it to be implicit.

It doesn't sound like they had a great working relationship though, especially if the stuff about Fenton blowing off feedback and performance reviews is true.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'll repeat myself didnt fenton have to pitch his plan to CL before he got hired? obviously CL agreed to that plan yet all blame drops on fenton? unless fenton went off the reservation CL knew what was happening. what he didnt know would be the season ticket holders or parise or spurgeon's reaction. thats my point and unless someone has proof im sticking too it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i'll repeat myself didnt fenton have to pitch his plan to CL before he got hired? obviously CL agreed to that plan yet all blame drops on fenton? unless fenton went off the reservation CL knew what was happening. what he didnt know would be the season ticket holders or parise or spurgeon's reaction. thats my point and unless someone has proof im sticking too it.
It doesn't sound like he pitched anything that we'd recognize as a "plan." If he had we would have seen a trade before last season started.

I don't think that absolves Leipold of blame, but Leipold's copped to his role in what happened. Going by his comments he seemed to be banking on Fenton's reputed eye for talent being able to identify the problems with the roster, identify some solutions, and act. Going by the rumored trade with Arizona last summer it's possible he actually made it through the first two steps, but he botched the last one and never really recovered.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I would really like to know the context of Leipold telling Fenton that he couldn't fire Boudreau.
I agree that context would be extremely helpful but likely not something we'd ever get. I would assume that if Fenton gave Leipold a legitimate reason to fire Boudreau then Leipold wouldn't have vetoed the firing, especially after the season had ended.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think we are underestimating what a jerk that Fenton was in his day to day dealings with people who worked in the Wild organization. I wonder if he ever had any management training? It's not that easy...many very smart people can fail miserably at it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree that context would be extremely helpful but likely not something we'd ever get. I would assume that if Fenton gave Leipold a legitimate reason to fire Boudreau then Leipold wouldn't have vetoed the firing, especially after the season had ended.
I would like to know if it ever got to the point where Fenton was actually going to fire Boudreau, and Leipold said no. Or, if it was just something that he told him during the interview process? I'm guessing it got to a level somewhere in between those.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You are aware of libel laws, right? I guarantee you that Russo isn't lying about any quote or information that he received from an unnamed source. He's not going to out somebody publicly. You're just grasping for straws cause you were wrong.
He also said on the radio that while there are no direct quotes...everythin in it was multiple sourced and anything he couldn't confirm he left out.
Journalists aren't stupid.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think we are underestimating what a jerk that Fenton was in his day to day dealings with people who worked in the Wild organization. I wonder if he ever had any management training? It's not that easy...many very smart people can fail miserably at it.
My guess is no. My sense was Fenton was a scout who made up his own opinions and then fought at the scouting table year after year for his picks to move up the draft board. In those conversations, there is little need to see the other side. Just push and push and get your GM to listen to you. Bulldose others at the table if you have to. No need to listen to others. That is how some scouts view the job.

He just never adapted to new role because he couldnt.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can anyone post the article here?
Can't post the entire article, only small snippets at best... it's behind a pay wall.

That said, I hear if you download the app, you are permitted so many free articles per week/month or something just for having the app. Might be worth downloading the app to your phone just for this one article.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Can't post the entire article, only small snippets at best... it's behind a pay wall.

That said, I hear if you download the app, you are permitted so many free articles per week/month or something just for having the app. Might be worth downloading the app to your phone just for this one article.
Dude thanks a ton. Youre right. Looks like three articles

Reactions: TaLoN

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm not convinced CL is all that involved on day to day hockey decisions. He wants to win, sure, and doesn't want to tank, but I don't believe at all that he's telling people to trade for this or that as you are implying.

If anything, Fenton proved even more to me that CL is pretty hands off on those types of decisions, and just provides a general direction of wanting to try to compete now rather than the pain and high risk of an extended rebuild.

Which makes me wonder if that is why CL was so involved since he was local and almost felt the "need" to be since his GM was out in Cape Code enjoying his sailing regiments? I don't recall CL being thrown out there that often as doing this for Fletcher?? Could be mistaken though.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I’m not a Wild fan by any stretch, but when I got the Athletic subscription, Russo was one of my first follows. The guy seems to be a true reporter, something we truly lack these days.
(I’m in Vancouver, where our sports reporters are mostly fueled by speculation and emotion)

Edit, that sounded mean towards the Wild. They’re just another team, I don’t but dislike them. Haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Wild11MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad