Series Talk: The difference between Air Canada Centre and TD Garden is striking

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
My accent comes out when I’ve been drinking or if I’m yelling.

Hahaha, isn't that funny how that happens? I've noticed that with lots of my fellow Bostonians - at parties you get the best of both. :laugh:

My buddies from Eastie have the classic prototypical Boston accents. If a Martian stepped off a spaceship and said "show me a Boston accent", I'd plunk those guys down in front of the extraterrestrial visitor.

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I do a lot of presentations and speaking in front of people at work so have lost my accent kind of on purpose. It’s to the point where if I’m traveling and say I’m from Boston, sometimes people don’t believe me.

But if im drinking, overtired, or angry it comes back.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I would like to ask Dom how he enjoyed the game from his perch in the hoity toity luxury box that I wasn`t invited to sit in:laugh:

I actually hate luxury boxes. Although I like the fact I have someone bringing me a "Pepsi" whenever I want and don't have to miss a second of the action.

@DKH can tell you (because he's seen it), I like to find my own little perch in which I can stand alone and watch the action. I don't like sitting during a game.

I have no complaints about pricing. Although, I can't remember the last time I paid for a ticket. I think the last time I paid for food or a beverage was in 2012 when Dan and his daughter came up to London for the OHL finals. #Perks

I'm old enough to be able to say I have been to all the old barns of the Original Six including the Olympia in Detroit. I was just a young lad but remember it clearly. I will take any of those old barns over today's arenas.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I do a lot of presentations and speaking in front of people at work so have lost my accent kind of on purpose. It’s to the point where if I’m traveling and say I’m from Boston, sometimes people don’t believe me.

My speech teacher in college took points off for every dropped R in our presentations.

I learned how to lose the accent quickly.

Hahaha, isn't that funny how that happens? I've noticed that with lots of my fellow Bostonians - at parties you get the best of both. :laugh:

My buddies from Eastie have the classic prototypical Boston accents. If a Martian stepped off a spaceship and said "show me a Boston accent", I'd plunk those guys down in front of the extraterrestrial visitor.

My dad was from JP and his accent was strong but not obnoxious.

I feel like the further north and west of the city, the stronger the accent.

Reactions: Mistah Ungah

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
My speech teacher in college took points off for every dropped R in our presentations.

I learned how to lose the accent quickly.

My dad was from JP and his accent was strong but not obnoxious.

I feel like the further north and west of the city, the stronger the accent.

Interesting....all my Eastie friends are North Shore residents now. They fit right in lol.

Reactions: Alicat

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Same here^

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The Air Canada Centre really has a lousy atmosphere for hockey.

Yes, the building is full but 90% of the crowd is corporate. This is not to say the people sitting in those seats don't love the Leafs but the passion just isn't there and I think I know why,

Bruins STH's tend to be less corporate in Levels 7 and 4 ( 5 and 6 is another story ) and many of those fans take second jobs to pay for the season ticket so for them it is flesh and blood.

The shenanigans with the light show really pissed me off as that is something you would expect in Raleigh - NOT TORONTO.

The ACC is not a great hockey building, it was actually designed for the NBA Raptors and then the Leafs bought the Raptors and took control of the new building.

In all honesty, I don’t think either place is an especially great venue for hockey, and I’ve been to both as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm old enough to be able to say I have been to all the old barns of the Original Six including the Olympia in Detroit. I was just a young lad but remember it clearly. I will take any of those old barns over today's arenas.

Never saw a game in the Olympia but had a flu shot there.

I even saw one game at the old Madison Square Garden which was a debacle for the Bruins losing 9-2. It was the first live Bruins game on Boston TV in 6 years.

upload_2018-4-18_0-37-18.png

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I actually hate luxury boxes. Although I like the fact I have someone bringing me a "Pepsi" whenever I want and don't have to miss a second of the action.

@DKH can tell you (because he's seen it), I like to find my own little perch in which I can stand alone and watch the action. I don't like sitting during a game.

I have no complaints about pricing. Although, I can't remember the last time I paid for a ticket. I think the last time I paid for food or a beverage was in 2012 when Dan and his daughter came up to London for the OHL finals. #Perks

Great to hear, I have sat in only a few boxes, here in Halifax for a World Junior game and a few Mooseheads games and a couple in Ottawa. Yep, nice and comfortable, love getting served my club soda`s on command and while I`m not one for standing during the game, whenever I was in the box I never felt part of the crowd up there.

Have been to the Forum/Garden (Boston)/ MLG/Chicago Stadium, dad said he and I were at Olympia when I was 9 but I just can`t recall it that well. Chicago stadium was an absolute blast, I went during the Savard years there so the team was solid and the crowd fun to be a part of.

I can`t remember the last time I didn`t pay for a ticket, I don`t have friends in high places like you:)

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I will say this. Luxury boxes have some interesting perks.

A friend and I (years ago now) went to a Tragically Hip concert at the ACC. We asked the stewardess if it was ok to smoke up there ( meaning cigs) and she said sure, be right back.

When she got back she had a bag of weed. We politely declined, the strangers sharing the box with us we’re all for it though.

I was very impressed with both her service that night and budding entrepreneurial skills!

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I will say this. Luxury boxes have some interesting perks.

A friend and I (years ago now) went to a Tragically Hip concert at the ACC. We asked the stewardess if it was ok to smoke up there ( meaning cigs) and she said sure, be right back.

When she got back she had a bag of weed. We politely declined, the strangers sharing the box with us we’re all for it though.

I was very impressed with both her service that night and budding entrepreneurial skills!
You lost me and I stopped reading after "We politely declined"

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
I could go on a tangent about this lol.

I tell people if you hear a real thick accent chances are they are from outside of the city or exaggerating.

My accent comes out when I’ve been drinking or if I’m yelling.

Ali, what type of accent do u have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad