Series Talk: The difference between Air Canada Centre and TD Garden is striking

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Air Canada Centre really has a lousy atmosphere for hockey.

Yes, the building is full but 90% of the crowd is corporate. This is not to say the people sitting in those seats don't love the Leafs but the passion just isn't there and I think I know why,

Bruins STH's tend to be less corporate in Levels 7 and 4 ( 5 and 6 is another story ) and many of those fans take second jobs to pay for the season ticket so for them it is flesh and blood.

The shenanigans with the light show really pissed me off as that is something you would expect in Raleigh - NOT TORONTO.

The ACC is not a great hockey building, it was actually designed for the NBA Raptors and then the Leafs bought the Raptors and took control of the new building.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Weird, I found it to be the complete opposite of this review (yes, I have been to the Garden)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Newer building doesn't necessarily mean better.

I don’t dislike TDNG, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the old Garden as far as atmosphere and game watchability (other than the obstructed view seats lol).

Part of that atmosphere (I believe) comes from the memories and successes in the building and the old Garden had a lot of those. My primary complaint about a lot of the new arenas is that they are cookie cutter. I would imagine that’s so they can have many different types of events there and it probably cuts down on cost. I’m not an architect or engineer, but one would think that with the technology today, they could design safe, but distinctive arenas?

At the old rink, it didn’t matter where you were sitting, it always felt like you were right on top of the ice (that could have been the building leaning). I know that many players, Bruin and their opponents, used to comment on that when discussing how difficult it was to play there. If they were to ever build a new arena (in my lifetime) that’s the one thing that I would try to replicate.

Reactions: Mistah Ungah

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t dislike TDNG, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the old Garden as far as atmosphere and game watchability (other than the obstructed view seats lol).

Part of that atmosphere (I believe) comes from the memories and successes in the building and the old Garden had a lot of those. My primary complaint about a lot of the new arenas is that they are cookie cutter. I would imagine that’s so they can have many different types of events there and it probably cuts down on cost. I’m not an architect or engineer, but one would think that with the technology today, they could design safe, but distinctive arenas?

At the old rink, it didn’t matter where you were sitting, it always felt like you were right on top of the ice (that could have been the building leaning). I know that many players, Bruin and their opponents, used to comment on that when discussing how difficult it was to play there. If they were to ever build a new arena (in my lifetime) that’s the one thing that I would try to replicate.

Completely agree friend, the ONLY Garden is the original. It was filthy, it had views obstructed, it had opponents often scrambling for their dressing rooms out of fear as the barn was so small the B`s held a huge advantage over opponents coming to town and I loved it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The ACC is one of so many now "OK" sports arenas. They are somewhat cookie cutter now. Will agree that due the corporate folks sitting in the seats (or not in their seats) Leaf games have a atmosphere compared to a lot of arenas. Try going to a game mid week during the regular season, and it's somewhat bleak.
The Raptors and their fans are among the loudest in the NBA. Really a great atmosphere.
Yep, those old arenas and in some cases the old ball parks were great for atmosphere.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

thats because at the old Garden, you were sitting on top of the rink. It was the old style of balconies that actually hung over the lower levels instead of cascading back. While the new Garden doesnt have the same atmosphere, its certainly held its own in crowd noise and antics. the 2011 and 2013 runs were some crazy crowds.

It's why, even as a Red Sox fan, I hate that the Yankees tore down the old stadium and built a mall masquerading as a ballpark instead. The new stadium has none of the old noise, atmosphere, mojo, etc. Its too clean and too sterile. Not to mention those rows and rows of empty recliners behind home plate always look horrible

They could have easily glassed in the 2nd deck and made that a luxury suite level and kept the old stadium.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Been to the ACC once, peak Seguin v Kessel drama. A few observations:

The crowd filled in at the end of the first period.

Atmosphere was Dull with a capital D, until the last two minutes when Toronto went full court press and tied the game in the waning seconds.

Granted, Kessel won the game in a shootout so people were fired up, but my then wife who was so very pregnant, and i were treated like dogs trying to get from our seats to the hotel. Which was across the street!

Building was really nice. WAY TOO MANY obstructed view seats.

I like Toronto. Won’t be back to the ACC anytime soon. Of the dozen or so barns I’ve been to, this was probably tied for the bottom spot with the pre-renovation MSG in terms of building/atmosphere and overall fan experience.

Bruins in 5

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My daughter and I went to a game in Toronto in 2014 (Dec).

The B's equipment manager told us to come and say "Hi" before the game. Our seats were row 15 behind the B's bench. We went down to say hello to Keith before the pre game skate and the security guard told us we were not allowed there unless we had those seats. Keith yelled out "Hey aren't you coming to say hello?" ...The guard let us after that....He said it was OK if we were with the team :laugh:

There were far more fans dressed up (suits) that you would see in Boston. We have visited many arenas and the Toronto one was the most expensive. We spent less for on the glass seats in Prague.

Toronto is a very nice city and it's a good place to see a game. The Hockey Hall of Fame is cool.

I have always liked the Leaf fans that I have met in person...Some on this board are a bit much though...

I loved going to the Old Garden. It was dirty and the smoke killed my eyes and throat but I had some great times there.

I like the "new" Garden. I am used to it. I like some of the folks who work there and feel at home at the games.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My biggest beefs with the Garden are that the concourses are a disaster and it’s sterile-feeling. There’s nothing unique about it that makes you feel like you’re in Boston.

The concourses are awful. I took a walk during intermission on a Saturday to buy into the 50-50 and I felt like a salmon swimming upstream. I don’t know if it’s that they’re narrow, the concession stands are poorly laid out, or what...but getting anywhere during intermission is impossible. Which is why I usually don’t go anywhere during them.

Every time we go to another arena I’m reminded how much the Garden is just...blah. Whether it’s better food options at more reasonable prices (even in JJ facilities, which is the rea kicker), drink specials (which I know the state won’t allow), it general design/aesthetic...coming back to the Garden is hard.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The Air Canada Centre really has a lousy atmosphere for hockey.

Yes, the building is full but 90% of the crowd is corporate. This is not to say the people sitting in those seats don't love the Leafs but the passion just isn't there and I think I know why,

Bruins STH's tend to be less corporate in Levels 7 and 4 ( 5 and 6 is another story ) and many of those fans take second jobs to pay for the season ticket so for them it is flesh and blood.

The shenanigans with the light show really pissed me off as that is something you would expect in Raleigh - NOT TORONTO.

The ACC is not a great hockey building, it was actually designed for the NBA Raptors and then the Leafs bought the Raptors and took control of the new building.
I haven't been there but the crowd sure seemed passionate last night to me.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

The B's equipment manager told us to come and say "Hi" before the game. Our seats were row 15 behind the B's bench. We went down to say hello to Keith before the pre game skate and the security guard told us we were not allowed there unless we had those seats. Keith yelled out "Hey aren't you coming to say hello?" ...The guard let us after that....He said it was OK if we were with the team :laugh:

There were far more fans dressed up (suits) that you would see in Boston. We have visited many arenas and the Toronto one was the most expensive. We spent less for on the glass seats in Prague.

Toronto is a very nice city and it's a good place to see a game. The Hockey Hall of Fame is cool.

I have always liked the Leaf fans that I have met in person...Some on this board are a bit much though...

I loved going to the Old Garden. It was dirty and the smoke killed my eyes and throat but I had some great times there.

I like the "new" Garden. I am used to it. I like some of the folks who work there and feel at home at the games.
just don't visit CN Tower THE NEXT 48 HOURS.... TO those there cheering our team on

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
I tell anyone who was unfortunate enough to never witness a game at the old Garden that it was the greatest place to see a hockey game. Not to rub it in, because it was.

I hated the lights bs at ACC last night. VERY hokey!!!

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Pasta would love that experience! Krejci enjoyed it...Phoenix had a decent team actually.

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica

Front row of the balcony was epic at the old Garden. You were right on top of the game. Concerts, too. Being 20 feet above Jimmy Page's array of guitars in April 1995 was really amazing. And Page himself of course.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree with Fenway that for Bruins games there isn't really any noticable 'class/income' disparity between fans in the balcony and those in the loge and you find diehard long time fans in the best seats.

Toronto needs a 2nd NHL team especially with how insanely fast that area is growing. I wish them and Detroit could be sent back to the West and the Nords/Whalers could return and replace them on the schedule. Montreal and Vancouver are far better cities and places to catch a game.

I'm not going to rant in this thread about the issues with the new Garden but its the fixable things that make me angry (one entrance with closed escalators, can't pee on the loge level and they shut down the bathroom near legends so you have to walk up to the balcony to go, not steep enough in the lower level and was built for basketball despite being owned by the hockey team etc etc.)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I never saw a hockey game in the old Garden but saw plenty of Celtics games.

Friday night Celtics games were insane.

I agree with Kate about how awful the concourses are. So many people just stand in the middle and have conversations rather than going to the side.

The one thing I do like is that they sell beers in cans and they are the same price as a draft. They stay colder longer and they have a decent variety.

I’ve only been to pre renovation MSG and Nassau Coliseum so the Garden was far better at that time.

Rangers fans were nice and I was in the nosebleeds. Probably helped I was wearing my Campbell jersey.

Islanders fans however , are insufferable. They enjoy making fun of the Boston accent to the point they sound like a drunk Fran Drescher.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had season tickets at the old Garden for years and it had personality

I don't smoke but after every game I'd throw my clothes in the washer and run it and take a shower and wash my hair to get all the smoke off me

All sorts of NHL folks were always around and we used to go down the end between periods and have our Cape Coddahs and gin and tonics for $2.25 waiting for us

My college roommates were from Hingham, Scituate, Marshfield and we'd all meet up there - I remember during the playoffs Chicago was eliminated and JR was going to the games and would show up between periods as well. I met Christian Ruutuu, Amonte and his oldw brother - always seemed just a bunch of players hanging out back in the day

One day I was late and was near Anthem and grabbing a slice of pizza (47 cents plus 3 cents tax) the sign said when Marco Baron came over and grabbed a couple of slices and I said 'I guess you aren't dressing'

Andre the Giant sat on the end seats front row right near my folks seats in the clock corner - he was the biggest human I ever saw but he seemed to always be there

I got a million stories of that place from running in that dark tunnel up by the Gallery Gods that was like a fun house

One game Billy Guerin was hurt with the Devils in a playoff game with an eye injury and sat in the seat next to my wife - they were about same age and both went to BC so they were yapping about BC and I was completely frozen out :laugh:

Guerin went back in next game (game 2 or 4) and played well

In the same seat George McPhee sat there and again they chatted - she went to BC Law and he was either going to law school or was interested- (again frozen out) she had no bleeping clue who any of these guys were but they were interesting :popcorn:

I liked Sullys but we also had the Iron Horse and Penalty Box lounge

My night

Pre game - Iron Horse
Game
Post game - Penalty Box Lounge

If I could time travel I'm there

Last edited:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I never saw a hockey game in the old Garden but saw plenty of Celtics games.

Friday night Celtics games were insane.

I agree with Kate about how awful the concourses are. So many people just stand in the middle and have conversations rather than going to the side.

The one thing I do like is that they sell beers in cans and they are the same price as a draft. They stay colder longer and they have a decent variety.

I’ve only been to pre renovation MSG and Nassau Coliseum so the Garden was far better at that time.

Rangers fans were nice and I was in the nosebleeds. Probably helped I was wearing my Campbell jersey.

Islanders fans however , are insufferable. They enjoy making fun of the Boston accent to the point they sound like a drunk Fran Drescher.

I went to MSG for the first time this year. I didn't care for it. Felt entirely too bland and corporate. Nassau Coliseum was always a dump (and still is) but had great acoustics and sightlines. But I agree on both fanbases. My brother is a Rangers fan and I have always refused to go to MSG because I didn't want to deal with drunk clowns on the train home. After dealing with Islanders fans my whole life, I was pleasantly surprised by Rangers fans. I think they were quieter because of the directions of our two teams

I also went to Tampa this year; that arena's pretty nice and the area surrounding it is beautiful. I've only been able to get up to the Garden a handful of times since the lockout, so it's tough to judge as I don't really leave my seat during intermissions.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I get so tired of telling people that nobody from Boston has a Cliff Clavin accent when they imitate us that way. Which happens waaaay too often.
I could go on a tangent about this lol.

I tell people if you hear a real thick accent chances are they are from outside of the city or exaggerating.

My accent comes out when I’ve been drinking or if I’m yelling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad