Post-Game Talk: The Devil's In the Details, Leafs Win 5-2

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Marner's put up 12 more points than Nylander over the last three seasons. Mitch has missed games this year but there's no canyon between them. Yes they have different skill sets, there's no carbon copies out there. If Mitch had Kapanen's speed and shot he'd be more productive. For all his tools, Kapanen's only cracked 40 points once. Nylander wouldn't look out of place on the first line of any team in the league.

Nylander has put up 12 less points than Marner over the course of the last 3 seasons, true.
He's played 27 more games to do so.

Mitch is a +63 player while Willie is a +8.

Again, they have shared the same linemates over these last 3 seasons.

Nylander is a much more skilled individual player, there's absolutely no question about that.
And yet, he is simultaneously a less offensively productive player and a much worse defensive player.

I think Nylander allows himself to get wrapped up in his head too much - far too many times he's missed passing lanes or seams because he looks like he's overthinking out there on the ice.

It's also why he's so prone to forcing plays on the pp point that either get immediately blocked or just plainly throws the puck away - he's not acting on instinct, but trying to process the game.

Reactions: Zacman

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I thought we did a reasonably good job of not getting constantly bottled up in our own end. And for the most part, when we did get hemmed in, we weren't giving up a lot of grade A chances (a few though). Baby steps, but Woll at least didn't look shaky to me. He's got work to do to get back where he was and likely can't do enough at this point to be the starter.

We're starting to get a nice glimpse of the type of team many of us thought we'd have at the beginning of the season when we signed guys like Reavo, Bert, and Domi. I can't wait to get Edmundson back in the line up as his presence gives this team some much needed (in the playoffs) intimidation in the physical department.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Good job closing it out boys.
Stay healthy the rest of the way and get ready for the real games to begin.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Rielly and marner need to get up to speed, but they have a week or so to do so.

2 games in row marner playing Santa giving away pucks for goals against. Tying goal last night his soft play gave the puck to the Penguins for the tying goal, and tonight a nice saucer pass on the PK to the Devils.

Rielly looks like he's skating with a piano on his back. Not sure his injury, but perhap it is affecting his skating.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's wild to me that Matthews wasn't even born when someone last scored 66+ goals.

I’m still not that confident about their chances in the playoffs but this record heading into the playoffs is encourgaing
I have this weird feeling they're going to surprise us a bit this year. By January most of us had written them off as any kind of serious threat and they looked very mediocre, but the Ridly Greig incident sparked something in the team and they've had a different mojo since then. On paper this is arguably the weakest roster of the last 3 playoff squads IMO but I think going in as an underdog into the playoffs (assuming Florida/Boston finish higher) and people not really having high expectations may just work in their favour a bit. They also have some guys who are built better for playoff hockey and bring those extra greasy qualities we've been trying to get for so long.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is a much, much more skilled player than Mitch Marner.
He has a variety of weapons Mitch can only dream of.

And yet, Marner has been knocking on the door of 100 points for years now, and Nylander is finally having the 1 season getting close to it.

They share the ice on the power play and have had the same mix of linemates.

If Marner had the hands and shot of Nylander, he would put up 45 goals and 120 points per year with his eyes closed.
I wonder if the fact that Marner plays mostly with the best scorer in the league while Willy plays mostly with a slow 3C has anything to do with production?

Yes, if Mitch had Willy's talent, he'd be better, and if Willy had Mitch's C, he'd be racking up more points.

Reactions: ULF_55 and arso40

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I wonder if the fact that Marner plays mostly with the best scorer in the league while Willy plays mostly with a slow 3C has anything to do with production?

Yes, if Mitch had Willy's talent, he'd be better, and if Willy had Mitch's C, he'd be racking up more points.
Mitch is better then Willy Styles. On pure talent as a hockey player. You could argue the offensive part, but as a whole Mitchy is in front fairly easily.

Except playoffs. So far. Which is kinda big.

Reactions: arso40

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
Looking forward to see how the team reacts to the 2nd game against the NJ Devils (3rd game season wise). This is kind of like a playoff situation where you get to play your opponent many times in a row, thereby giving them a chance to adopt and try new counters to your strategy. How the team handles NJ which is a less experienced team, to me inferior in in overall quality, but at the same time challenging due to speed and raw talent and speed can really give you that uppercut, where you suddenly are 3 goals down and in shock, which the maple leafs have felt many times before when underestimating faster, less experienced but thoroughly talented teams.

So to me, the 2nd game is going to be a playoff preview, to see how this team can handle an opponent that has just played them, that will be fresh in their minds thinking of what they did wrong and what they did right and trying to adopt those strategies in real time.

IF this team wants to win a cup, they need to embrace these challenges and overcome them. I want a dominant performance, and if I see that, I will be eager for the playoffs... if it becomes another 3-6 loss, this year may again turn out to be a frustrating one. The teams that want the cup need to win games like these, the spotlight games, where the other side is just waiting to get them back.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Nylander is a much, much more skilled player than Mitch Marner.
He has a variety of weapons Mitch can only dream of.

And yet, Marner has been knocking on the door of 100 points for years now, and Nylander is finally having the 1 season getting close to it.

They share the ice on the power play and have had the same mix of linemates.

If Marner had the hands and shot of Nylander, he would put up 45 goals and 120 points per year with his eyes closed.
IMO, Willie is too relax or just takes what the opposing team gives him and run with it. Look at his career, he can score near the crease as he has done it before or just off the rush or shots….he can also make passes or skates and hold onto the puck for 30 secs around the Ozone.
What makes Willie danger is him being unpredictable bc I don’t even think he knows what he wants to do until he sees it. Where as AM or McD or MM, they know what they want to do even before they step on the ice, as they manifest it in their heads.
That’s why it is hard to play with Willie unless you are quick enough to read off him or just somehow play the way he sees playing on that shift.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
IMO, Willie is too relax or just takes what the opposing team gives him and run with it. Look at his career, he can score near the crease as he has done it before or just off the rush or shots….he can also make passes or skates and hold onto the puck for 30 secs around the Ozone.
What makes Willie danger is him being unpredictable bc I don’t even think he knows what he wants to do until he sees it. Where as AM or McD or MM, they know what they want to do even before they step on the ice, as they manifest it in their heads.
That’s why it is hard to play with Willie unless you are quick enough to read off him or just somehow play the way he sees playing on that shift.
Honestly agree with that and that matthews is our best playmaker he needs to stay away from marner to force him to control the play marner can control his own line just need to find a combo with Willy and we're good something tells me it's gonna be a swede line would be better if he played the middle so holmberg can slide to the 4th line and willy could center jarnkrok and knies

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
I think Willie needs to play with top talent to maximize his game, he has the skill that other players don't, like someone said he doesn't need to think or plan it, he just has those precious instincts that the minute you put him on a line that threatens the crease he is that much more deadlier.

However, since he has been parted with AM and MM, he has not looked like his old self. 1 assist in the last 5 games, that is the worst production he has shown this year. I think he needs to be paired with Marner to maximize his talents.

I feel that Marner also gets better when he is with Willie as his assist numbers often have Nylanders name in the stat line. Since AM seems to be clicking well with Domi and Bert, I think you need to at least unite Marner and Nylander. Nylander seems like a much more potent player when he has a good playmaker beside him.

These two need each other, and separating them so far has meant that both are underperforming.

When your top 2 player suddenly has a stretch of 5 games where he has only put up one assist (while the rest of the team is playing above spec), which is so unlike him so far this year, how could the bells not be going off in Keefe's head that perhaps Nylander needs to be reunited with Marner at the very least?

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think Willie needs to play with top talent to maximize his game, he has the skill that other players don't, like someone said he doesn't need to think or plan it, he just has those precious instincts that the minute you put him on a line that threatens the crease he is that much more deadlier.

However, since he has been parted with AM and MM, he has not looked like his old self. 1 assist in the last 5 games, that is the worst production he has shown this year. I think he needs to be paired with Marner to maximize his talents.

I feel that Marner also gets better when he is with Willie as his assist numbers often have Nylanders name in the stat line. Since AM seems to be clicking well with Domi and Bert, I think you need to at least unite Marner and Nylander. Nylander seems like a much more potent player when he has a good playmaker beside him.

These two need each other, and separating them so far has meant that both are underperforming.

When your top 2 player suddenly has a stretch of 5 games where he has only put up one assist (while the rest of the team is playing above spec), which is so unlike him so far this year, how could the bells not be going off in Keefe's head that perhaps Nylander needs to be reunited with Marner at the very least?
Agree.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Domi
Nylander-Holmberg-Marner
Knies-Tavares-McMann
Robertson-Kampf-Reaves
/Gregor/Dewar

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Looking forward to see how the team reacts to the 2nd game against the NJ Devils (3rd game season wise). This is kind of like a playoff situation where you get to play your opponent many times in a row, thereby giving them a chance to adopt and try new counters to your strategy. How the team handles NJ which is a less experienced team, to me inferior in in overall quality, but at the same time challenging due to speed and raw talent and speed can really give you that uppercut, where you suddenly are 3 goals down and in shock, which the maple leafs have felt many times before when underestimating faster, less experienced but thoroughly talented teams.

So to me, the 2nd game is going to be a playoff preview, to see how this team can handle an opponent that has just played them, that will be fresh in their minds thinking of what they did wrong and what they did right and trying to adopt those strategies in real time.

IF this team wants to win a cup, they need to embrace these challenges and overcome them. I want a dominant performance, and if I see that, I will be eager for the playoffs... if it becomes another 3-6 loss, this year may again turn out to be a frustrating one. The teams that want the cup need to win games like these, the spotlight games, where the other side is just waiting to get them back.
I'm not sure I would put much stock in Thursday's game. The Leafs will likely win, but Jersey is without their best player and has already raised the white flag on its season. The Leafs will likely also sit a few guys, so it's not like we will see the playoff lineup.

Reactions: no2ninja

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_8093.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad