Proposal: The Devils desperately need goaltending, and are willing to overpay

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I guess that makes sense and to each your own but don’t you think that puts right back in the same situation you are this year by breaking in two rookie defenseman on the right side like you are with Hughes and Bahl now? Nevertheless losing a premier defender in Hamilton.

I feel like that’s something a rebuilding team would do. You guys are really close to making a big push and it seems like teams tend to go in the opposite direction by moving a blocked or redundant prospect for help elsewhere.

I mean you guys have like two #1 centers, elite wingers, a #1 dman and potentially two on the way…it’s almost go time for y’all IMO

Yeah, that would be a concern and I get it. I don't think too many Devils fans are rushing to go all in just yet though as the entire core is wrapped up for the next 4+ seasons and Luke is still a rookie while Nemec has yet to play an NHL game yet. We're also really excited about Casey's potential and not sure if we want to give that up for two runs with Ullmark, though I certainly get the logic.

One of Hamilton's main assets is his shot on the power play though, which is diminished on NJ with Luke (rightfully) getting #1PP time.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
if Calgary plans to blow it up theyd be smart to move their stud goalie prospect Wolf; odds are you wouldnt finish a rebuild before hes signed a deal to UFA

would be expensive but anybody young and growing id take a shot on!

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
if Calgary plans to blow it up theyd be smart to move their stud goalie prospect Wolf; odds are you wouldnt finish a rebuild before hes signed a deal to UFA

would be expensive but anybody young and growing id take a shot on!
Calgary isn't going nuclear I think they're going to try a soft reset rather than a full blown rebuild. So Wolf would be a building block not a trade chip.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don't think many NJ posters expected a seamless transition losing 1/3 of the defense. I recall a fair number of posters acknowledging the team was likely to backslide a bit. The team went from picking second overall in the draft to being third overall in the league in one off season. That's a dramatic swing. They were not as terrible a team as the record showed the year before and they were overachieving last season. If they finish in a playoff position while adding Luke Hughes, Bahl, and Holtz that's not terrible. Beyond that they are integrating a bunch of new veterans (Meier, Toffoli, Nosek, and Lazar - some spent some time with NJ last year but this was their first training camp with them) into what is a complicated (and in my view mediocre) defensive system. Oh, and what was their record with Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier playing versus those two not playing? Again, putting all of that on one goalie is unrealistic.

OK, that’s fair. It’s a transition year with lesser expectations.

Reactions: My3Sons

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Not sure if this was an attempt to mock the offer of a 1st and Casey for Ullmark but yikes, you’re embarrassing yourself with the self reply :laugh:

Maybe you should take the liberty to change the thread to The Devils desperately need goaltending, and are willing to underpay
I went full mock

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What’s the Devils cap situation? They can probably get Jack Campbell for dirt cheap even with a lot of the cap hit retained.

He sucks, but maybe he can bounce back and the Devils don’t really have much to lose with him.
retain 75% of his term first

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Okay here is what I'm gonna do for ya Capitals offer
Keumper 5.2x4
Jensen 4 x 3
Mantha 1/2 retained 2.3 x 0 currently on IR likely LTIR

for

Siegebthaler 3.4 x 5
Vanecek 3.4 x 2
2025 San Jose lottery 1st

Kuemper fixes the goal problem, Jensen will not be better than Sieg but will do as a replacement to help Kuemper. Caps can roll with Lindy and Vanecek while paying to fix a boneheaded move by the Caps GM when he traded Sieg and shedding Mantha in the process.

Kuemper could be the key to a Jersey Cup, how much is that worth? Afterwards devils still have cap space to play with.

Mantha gots knocked upside his head with a puck and it perforated his ear drum, he will need surgery. A surgery which I have had several times. He should be down for about 3 months if not more. You can figure out how to dump him before TDL. 2.3 won't be much to shed to put towards another gem in pursuit of the cup.

/ducksandcovers /postreply
as the devils don't own a san jose 25 1st, you can have it. just don't send us those pieces.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Remember in the off-season when so many were pretty sure that the Devils (and Sabres) had good enough goaltending and shouldn't give up a good young player like Mercer for a top goalie like Hellebuyck?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Casey is a 2nd rounder that has been looking great these two years in the NCAA. When feel you got "Diamond in the rough" you aren't going to give it up easily even if it seems illogical.

Every team has had that kind of prospect at sometime or another, Even Boston.
Devils fans had a hard enough time considering trading Ty Smith. Can't imagine many wanting to give up Casey for anything.

Reactions: Cypruss

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
uhh what? everyone was happy with the trade for Marino?
"Uhhhhh" yeah, getting to the NHL and throwing up a -26 made that pill pretty easy to swallow.

But at the same age Ty Smith was an untouchable. You wanted him in conversations with Makar and Hughes. Called him Hughes lite and said he was definitely on NJs not trading list.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
"Uhhhhh" yeah, getting to the NHL and throwing up a -26 made that pill pretty easy to swallow.

But at the same age Ty Smith was an untouchable. You wanted him in conversations with Makar and Hughes. Called him Hughes lite and said he was definitely on NJs not trading list.
Oh you mean the Rookie year where Ty Smith had the most points among rookie defenseman and was one of the defenseman on the NHL's "all rookie team".

Yes why didn't we trade him then? :huh:

Quint I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Reactions: HBK27

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Oh you mean the Rookie year where Ty Smith had the most points among rookie defenseman and was one of the defenseman on the NHL's "all rookie team".

Yes why didn't we trade him then? :huh:

Quint I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul
When you list a meaningless award like the all rookie team it really says it all. Good for him. He beat out a bunch of rookies who put up 14 or less points. Is that supposed to be a high bar? Is this what you are calling talent evaluation?

Again if Ty Smith was an untouchable then Casey has no chance of being traded in Devils fans minds.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
When you list a meaningless award like the all rookie team it really says it all. Good for him. He beat out a bunch of rookies who put up 14 or less points. Is that supposed to be a high bar? Is this what you are calling talent evaluation?

Again if Ty Smith was an untouchable then Casey has no chance of being traded in Devils fans minds.
you are hilarious and out of your depth. No fans would be willing to trade a player trending upwards. a 1st round pick who many draftwriters thought was a steal and shouldn't have fell to 17th OV went on to destroy the WHL and become the top rookie defenseman in the NHL.

Are you REALLY saying that everyone at that time they should have expected him to become a 3rd pairing/6th D and Made a trade?

Jets fans I feel for your plight.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenobiwan and HBK27

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
you are hilarious and out of your depth. No fans would be willing to trade a player trending upwards. a 1st round pick who many draftwriters thought was a steal and shouldn't have fell to 17th OV went on to destroy the WHL and become the top rookie defenseman in the NHL.

Are you REALLY saying that everyone at that time should have expected him to become a 3rd pairing/6th D and Made a trade?

Jets fans I feel for your plight.
I'm out of my depth when you were wanting Ty Smith to be in the conversation with Makar? Do you not see how irrational that is?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I'm out of my depth when you were wanting Ty Smith to be in the conversation with Makar? Do you not see how irrational that is?
Its a bit creepy that you felt the need to do a "deep dive" on me but I guess i'll take it as a compliment. Sadly you only did a cursory search and didn't actually look for context to what I was saying.

What I said
"I wonder why Ty Smith isn't in this poll but Makar wins handily with Boqvist and Hughes tied."

This was when Makar just finished a successful season at Umass and had yet to play in the NHL. Now if you read that quote I said that Makar wins Handily. but suggested that Smith should be PART of the poll.

You could have mocked me for saying Boqvist and Hughes are tied but instead you decided to be disingenuous and make stuff up.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Remember in the off-season when so many were pretty sure that the Devils (and Sabres) had good enough goaltending and shouldn't give up a good young player like Mercer for a top goalie like Hellebuyck?

losing your 2 best players (who are also your top 2 centers) tends to hurt your team. If you're not in the offensive zone... welp then you're defending too much.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Its a bit creepy that you felt the need to do a "deep dive" on me but I guess i'll take it as a compliment. Sadly you only did a cursory search and didn't actually look for context to what I was saying.

What I said
"I wonder why Ty Smith isn't in this poll but Makar wins handily with Boqvist and Hughes tied."

This was when Makar just finished a successful season at Umass and had yet to play in the NHL. Now if you read that quote I said that Makar wins Handily. but suggested that Smith should be PART of the poll.

You could have mocked me for saying Boqvist and Hughes but instead you decided to be disingenuous and make stuff up.
You have a readily available post history that you are clearly embarrassed about so you want to say " creepy"? A deep dive? That takes less than 30 seconds. Maybe 30 seconds of thought is a lot for you. For most people it's nothing. Take the loss instead of trying to distract with personal insults and bringing in other teams into the conversation.

Nothing disingenuous at all. Do you want me to mock you for Boqvist? What does he have to do with the conversation? Did you bring Boqvist into the poll? Keep dancing. You were trying to shoehorn Ty Smith to be in the conversation with Makar and Hughes Because that's the type of player you thought he was competing with talent wise. You call him un tradeable. You saw him as a blue chip prospect. What are you getting upset over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad