Proposal: The Devils desperately need goaltending, and are willing to overpay

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
It's way early, and perhaps Vanacek and Schmid prove to be the real deal, but through four games it seems that netminding will be the major stumbling block for an otherwise stacked NJ team (who could see that coming lol).

Fitzgerald is obviously aware of this, and I suspect he will do something to address the issue by the TDL.

But what are the realistic options out there considering available players and cap concerns?

Bueller? Anyone?

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Vladar makes sense. He’d be cheap.

Or you can go for Markstrom he seems to have refound his game. Knowing the Flames management’s love for vets we likely won’t move him.

Reactions: racamdim

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Cross your fingers and hope Nashville tanks and will move Saros. Feel like Hellebuyck was the only clear upgrade available and that option is gone. With their cap structure and the relatively young age of their team New Jersey's window might be widest when Schmid comes into his own in the next couple years after this one

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think he adds a third goalie and sends Schmid back to the AHL, or carries three goalies in the NHL personally. This third goalie will have only one year of term (so Vladar is out).

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Cross your fingers and hope Nashville tanks and will move Saros. Feel like Hellebuyck was the only clear upgrade available and that option is gone. With their cap structure and the relatively young age of their team New Jersey's window might be widest when Schmid comes into his own in the next couple years after this one

The price would be high, but NJ has big pieces we'd want.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Vladar makes sense. He’d be cheap.

Or you can go for Markstrom he seems to have refound his game. Knowing the Flames management’s love for vets we likely won’t move him.
Vladar doesn't make sense. He's a career .899 guy in 52 games and Schmid is .901 in 26. There's no reason at all to believe that Vladar would be an improvement. Either they deal for a real starter or they go with what they have.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kuemper?

I mean they’d jump all over Saros in that dreamland. But Kuemper? He’s not on the list of sure-thing goalies worth a team making a major play for and holding that contract if he’s not substantially better.
I was looking at starting goalies on bottom feeders who may want to do a rebuild.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It's way early, and perhaps Vanacek and Schmid prove to be the real deal, but through four games it seems that netminding will be the major stumbling block for an otherwise stacked NJ team (who could see that coming lol).

Fitzgerald is obviously aware of this, and I suspect he will do something to address the issue by the TDL.

But what are the realistic options out there considering available players and cap concerns?

Bueller? Anyone?

Who saw this coming? Me. I had a Hellebuyck trade thread going on this offseason. Basically, every Devil fan was too cheap in wanting to upgrade to elite goaltending and here we are… with Devils goaltending already taking a dump.

But don’t worry… Buffalo fans were equally arrogant trumpeting that Levi was the Chosen One and he too is sucking out. Sabres look like they are going to waste another year as are the Oilers.

Apparently, “goaltending doesn’t matter” and that the Vegas model will work for you all. Good luck with that lol.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
Who saw this coming? Me. I had a Hellebuyck trade thread going on this offseason. Basically, every Devil fan was too cheap in wanting to upgrade to elite goaltending and here we are… with Devils goaltending already taking a dump.

But don’t worry… Buffalo fans were equally arrogant trumpeting that Levi was the Chosen One and he too is sucking out. Sabres look like they are going to waste another year as are the Oilers.

Apparently, “goaltending doesn’t matter” and that the Vegas model will work for you all. Good luck with that lol.
Hellebuyck .843
Schmid .892
Vanecek .892

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Yeah, your generous proposal to trade Hellebuyck and his .843 for Mercer would clearly fix goaltending for NJ. If anything your idiotic ramblings show just how difficult goaltending can be to handicap.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Devils didn't want to trade away the golden boy Mercer and their fans attacked anyone who proposed trading him for a legit goalie (Helly). They would probably just waltz right into the finals and cup with him. Oh well, that ship has sailed.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

I know it’s early in the season but that’s a weird flex considering Winnipeg has lost 3 games out of 4 already and the Devils don’t even have a losing record.

Devils didn't want to trade away the golden boy Mercer and their fans attacked anyone who proposed trading him for a legit goalie (Helly). They would probably just waltz right into the finals and cup with him. Oh well, that ship has sailed.
What has an elite goaltender ever gotten the Rangers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad