Post-Game Talk: The Defending Stanley Cup Champs vs the Presidents Trophy Winners, Take 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wasn't able to watch the game unfortunately, but it looked like Cirelli committed 3 penalties in the lead up to that fight, 2 charges and a slash. Had they just put the whistles away at that point or what?

When 180 pound guys try and throw themselves around, the refs are more likely to laugh.

Otherwise - good point. That punk is slowly moving up the most hated list. Orpik took matters into his own hands, and immediately threw a big gloved left hook that just missed. Old man Orpik doing that, says everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't get TB fans at all. When the Caps get beaten, we critique, we criticize, we give props to the other team (most of the time), but most of our posts are about the Caps shortcomings. Bolts thread is 95% about how the Caps are just "lucky" and making excuses for their teams getting outplayed (four day break, they just don't care anymore). Oh and wishing harm on Ovie :huh: and Wilson.

Not the most knowledgeable of posters over there either. Look at this gem:

Pregame stuff was nice. Good to see Stammer touch/hold the Prez Trophy. Hey, it worked for the Caps last season. :P

:laugh:

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't get TB fans at all. When the Caps get beaten, we critique, we criticize, we give props to the other team (most of the time), but most of our posts are about the Caps shortcomings. Bolts thread is 95% about how the Caps are just "lucky" and making excuses for their teams getting outplayed (four day break, they just don't care anymore). Oh and wishing harm on Ovie :huh: and Wilson.

Not the most knowledgeable of posters over there. Look at this gem:

Yeah I read the last three pages of their game thread. Initial reaction, stay classy Tampa Bay.

One guy called Ovi a dirty goon. Lol.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You may notice in the Orpik fight video, Cernak was trying to play tough guy with Eller.

That was probably a mistake. Soon thereafter, he was holding his face hustling to the locker room.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and crab

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah I read the last there pages of their game thread. Initial reaction, stay classy Tampa Bay.

One guy called Ovi a dirty goon. Lol.

Funny thing is I like TB's team, it is a very likeable team, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they win the Cup. Same way I feel about the Leafs, minus Kadri, they are a likeable team. But man their posters on this site make me a root against them.

Pens fans, as smug as they are (and they have good reasons to be), aren't as bad as the Bolts posters on this site, and at least Pens fans understand hockey.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Most of the Tampans are new-to-the-game Mountain Dew Code Red drinkers. They have no idea about hockey and are just excited to be attached to something labled “winner” for the first time in their lives. They’re hepped up on too much sugar (and regular season wins) and don’t yet realize that only one team takes home the crown - or that the team that does is usually not the President’s Trophy winner.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Most of the Tampans are new-to-the-game Mountain Dew Code Red drinkers. They have no idea about hockey and are just excited to be attached to something labled “winner” for the first time in their lives. They’re hepped up on too much sugar (and regular season wins) and don’t yet realize that only one team takes home the crown - or that the team that does is usually not the President’s Trophy winner.

They should enjoy it before the team starts to suck and they decide to relocate.

Pretty much the fate of all NHL teams south of Washington.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yep, some gems from the T'ians board

Did Wilson spit? Wilsons eyes were closed, Wilson got lucky, Cernak mostly holding his own...

So Cernak will want a rematch? yeah right.

Last edited:

smd333

May 2, 2012
I wasn't able to watch the game unfortunately, but it looked like Cirelli committed 3 penalties in the lead up to that fight, 2 charges and a slash. Had they just put the whistles away at that point or what?
When you Francois St Laurent as a ref you know at some point he will lose control of the game. He lets players get physical but always lets it get out of hand when it starts to ramp up, he's a bit of a dope in that regard.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
When you Francois St Laurent as a ref you know at some point he will lose control of the game. He lets players get physical but always lets it get out of hand when it starts to ramp up, he's a bit of a dope in that regard.

I kind of think that’s a good thing. Not sure if it’s just me, but I’d say the large majority of NHL games are soft, lacking intensity, and a little bit boring until the game is tied/close late. These Caps-TB games have been examples of the best the modern NHL has to offer: high scoring, fast slugfests.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

Not the most knowledgeable of posters over there either. Look at this gem:

Nothing lucky about last year. Caps were by far the better team. They outplayed Tampa in 5 of the games, 1 game was close, and other game was alm tampa. In each caps win it was done with Caps in control.

TB is really good - but as we know - being good in regular season doesn’t really mean anything.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I read another one page of the Lightning post game conversation. They don't like us, as in we fans here. They think we are routing for their players to be injured. IIRC they were fine with Paquette putting Kempny out for the season and punching him when he was down. They seemed fine with Gourde seeking out a fight with Vrana.

My fav quote from over there though, was someone wanting "Wilson and Ovechkin to get what they deserve". I am sure they didn't mean Conn Smythe and Cup rings and so on, but that is after all what they deserve

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What also gets me is Hedman seems to have hurt himself on the hit.

Nothing like the dirty play that took Kempny out for the season.

Man that Tampa fan base is cocky

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Rewatched the game this morning. A couple of observations:

They played so well but 92 was noticeably meh after some solid performances of late. (2 secondaries, but still). Maybe just a flu bug.

Despite the gaffe on Tampa's second goal, Jensen played well. That mistake, unlike his other recent ones, was more mental than physical, IMO.

Stephenson's game has just fallen apart. No clue what happened there, why, or what to do with it.

PS: Also, in first viewing I missed Ovie's awesome sneaky counterhit on a Bolt midway through the third. Dude came at the captain and got smoked. Ovie barely flinched. :laugh:

PPS: Love how happy the team was for Ovie after the 50th goal.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Looks like 6 of the TBL HF posters made their way over to hockeyfights....Held his own :D

upload_2019-3-31_13-19-10.png

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Wow. You guys weren't kidding - their board is pure toxic.

Like, delusion and lashing out in hatred with like 20% of people seeming level headed/sane.

Might lurk there come playoffs, entertaining stuff (though makes me despair for humanity slightly)

Last edited:

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
I have a question, what the heck does Wilson say to these guys on the ice to get them so mad. He makes every team mad, including coaches and GMs

There is no way that he is making them so mad by just playing like he does

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006

He’s no dope, just channeling his inner Koharski.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just saw this on TSN.com: "It's the milestone as a goal scorer," said Lightning captain Steven Stamkos, who has reached the 50-goal mark twice in his career. "He's done it plenty of times. That's why he's been the best goal scorer in the last 10, 15 years for a reason and he did it again tonight."

Coming from Stamkos, who’s been arguably second to Ovie all the years in pure goal scoring terms, that’s really something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad