Proposal: The Dan Byslma Thread Like/Hate/Unsure

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
The short version is that the jury has to still be out as this year is clearly a development year. There have been things that others have noted that are clear positives that you can be encouraged by. There have also been some frankly head scratching things that you can maybe put in some context but are legitimately concerning.

"We're going to make the Sabres great again. We are going to win"

Kane, Bogo, Eichel, Reinhart.... Bylsma has 4 top 5 picks on the roster.... :facepalm:

:laugh: Clearly there is talent here. It's also probably fair to point out that the talent isn't at the same point in their development curve as Florida.

If I'm a Florida fan, I'm really excited to see what they might do in the playoffs and there isn't any way you can just write off their chances of success beforehand, especially in the east.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Also, I wish I could see our stats 2-3 minutes after a special teams situation, where Bylsma deploys these stupid, chemistry-less lines for no ****ing reason. Especially given how stupid he's been with O'Reilly, Risto and Bogo's overall minutes.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Some people have a problem with Bylsma not having Eichel start against McDavid in the Oilers game. I wish he had, but I don't have issue with it.

What I DO have a problem with is his response after. Basically that the rivalry is made up or some other garbage.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Some people have a problem with Bylsma not having Eichel start against McDavid in the Oilers game. I wish he had, but I don't have issue with it.

What I DO have a problem with is his response after. Basically that the rivalry is made up or some other garbage.

Me too. But when guys like Coller, White, and Harrington use words such as "embarrassing," "arrogant," "disrespectful," and - my favorite- "unconscionable" about the situation, you understand why Buffalo's media has the reputation it deserves.

Beating children is unconscionable. Killing another human being is unconscionable. Not starting Jack Eichel against Connor McDavid for an opening faceoff is a missed opportunity for a photo op.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I have been extremely disappointed in Byslma.

I was a major supporter of Dan before recently too.

I expected a fast, aggressive system with the D man pushing forward. We have the complete opposite. We go backwards before we go forward on way too many instances. His PP usage is absolutely awful and the passing on this team sucks.

I also don't want to hear this crap about not having the players. Between ROR, Kane, Eichel and Reinhart, a ton of offense was added. When they are forced to play conservative, this is the disaster you get. Turn and burn is something I wanted to badly, instead I get cycling back to our own zone before trying to dump and chase.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Me too. But when guys like Coller, White, and Harrington use words such as "embarrassing," "arrogant," "disrespectful," and - my favorite- "unconscionable" about the situation, you understand why Buffalo's media has the reputation it deserves.

Beating children is unconscionable. Killing another human being is unconscionable. Not starting Jack Eichel against Connor McDavid for an opening faceoff is a missed opportunity for a photo op.

Yeah I totally agree. Unconscionable? Jesus. But I mean is this anything new from him? If McDavid doesn't beat at least two people we're not talking about this at all. Harrington can definitely feed off the negative vibe some of the fan base wallows in, I'll give him that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I agree that was a ridiculous word choice.

I read the article. I was surprised he actually made a couple good points between some of the ridiculous ones. Or at least ones he got carried away over like not starting Jack. Though I get why most would like to see it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah I totally agree. Unconscionable? Jesus. But I mean is this anything new from him? If McDavid doesn't beat at least two people we're not talking about this at all. Harrington can definitely feed off the negative vibe some of the fan base wallows in, I'll give him that.

Actually we would be. He was talking about the excitement of the moment (their first game against each other). He referenced a couple occasions where players got to start because of things outside the game. Like Jack going to Boston and starting there. He also referenced Brooks Laich starting in his return to Washington. IIRC Disco had made lineup decisions earlier in the season based on players being from the town we were playing in. Thats actually a more impactful decision (who gets to dress in a game) than letting Jack take the opening face off. It makes the decision he made to not start Jack vs Connor seem almost peevish.

It had nothing to do with the goal that was scored or that Jack should have been matched up against McDavid defensively. It was about capturing a moment in time and nothing more. Disco, for whatever reason, chose not to give into the moment (those are his (Disco's) words not mine).

EDIT: But its certainly not an unconscionable act or any of the other hyperbolic descriptions some have given the decision.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Bylsma’s concept of line duos that he brought from Pittsburgh is goofy. A line is three players with other teams, not two.

I would venture that a majority of the teams in the league utilize the pairs idea. That Harrington likely fails to realize not only that but that Buffalo is in no way unique in this regard, speaks to how ill-informed he is regarding the league, as a whole. That's kind of a problem when you consider he's the one writing the weekly "Inside the NHL" column for TBN.

But, hey, his journalism degree insulates him from being incorrect about the league many fans follow closer than he does.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That article started off fine, but then as usual he went off the rails blabbering on about stuff that doesn't matter. Make sure you get a cheapshot in at Rex Ryan whenever possible, though. Good work, Mike.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would venture that a majority of the teams in the league utilize the pairs idea. That Harrington likely fails to realize not only that but that Buffalo is in no way unique in this regard, speaks to how ill-informed he is regarding the league, as a whole. That's kind of a problem when you consider he's the one writing the weekly "Inside the NHL" column for TBN.

But, hey, his journalism degree insulates him from being incorrect about the league many fans follow closer than he does.

Most teams try to build as much structure as they can to their lineup. Sometimes they can build full lines, sometimes pairs and sometimes a single player (usually a center) anchors a line. Sometimes all of the above or two of those things are going on with one lineup. Pairs may develop but its not usually the main focus.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wish a reporter would ask Murray what he thinks of Disco's reluctance to play Reinhart center as well as his recent comments that he's "rethinking" Sam's future role. That his good play on the wing may indicate thats where he belongs long term.

I find it hard to believe Murray would agree with or like this train of thought. Since he's wanted Reinhart at center since the start of the season. With as candid as Murray is, I think we would get a clear answer.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Are you saying nobody's talked about his issues to this point? I feel like they've been well documented.
I'm talking about in the media, not on here.

The day the Buffalo News breaks down the stupidity of Bylsma deploying his players like he has the Blackhawks or Kings rosters is the day I buy a subscription.

So far it's tardiness, shootouts and an opening game faceoff.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
That article started off fine, but then as usual he went off the rails blabbering on about stuff that doesn't matter. Make sure you get a cheapshot in at Rex Ryan whenever possible, though. Good work, Mike.
I know right? Dudes involved in community let's it be known he's proud to be the Bills head coach and has to jab at him in an unrelated article.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
I'm talking about in the media, not on here.

The day the Buffalo News breaks down the stupidity of Bylsma deploying his players like he has the Blackhawks or Kings rosters is the day I buy a subscription.

So far it's tardiness, shootouts and an opening game faceoff.
It's just crazy how we aren't paid to cover this team and we as a board community have more knowledge than the entire TBN staff regarding hockey.

I'm just glad Jerry sticks moreso with football because I'd kill myself.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA

Totally agree. When I play NHL 15 and I'm a 72 LW and my two linemates are 85 and 83 gimme-the-puck types, I know my job is to just sit near the goal mouth and pot their garbage deke rebounds. That's how I earn my paycheck. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad