Value of: The cost to get Palat from cap-strapped TB? Same question for Killorn.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
TB is currently $2 million over the cap and still needs new deals for Cirelli and Cernak. Assuming they don’t want to throw in top prospects in order to move Johnson’s contract, these two seem the most likely for TB to try to deal away. They can’t take much, if any, cap back in return, what would be realistic offers in a deal involving Palat? For Killorn?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think IF, and its a big IF the current CBA is kept the same with no changes, it may be less about what teams are willing to pay to peel a guy of Tampa, and more a Q of what ownership group has the cash to actually add the pieces.

Could also be a Q of what happens if players 'opt out' for Covid reasons.
Do they need to opt out for the whole season? Whats the rules on the cap? If they arent opting out for the whole season, is it treated like LTIR?
How does it work if they opt out for a half the season? Is the salary pro-rated like a trade, or is it retroactive?
Can you trade a player who has 'opted out'? If a team is below the cap, and someone opts out, will it be up to the team if it counts or not?
If a player opts out, do they receive any part of their pay?

I think one of the main reasons we havent seen any movement from the teams over the cap, is their seems to be a ton of potential 'shenanigans' to get under the cap that may be more advantages than needing to trade players at a decreased value, or even pay to trade them away.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Palat no trade you can take him off the list.

Everyone has seen the Johnson plus rumors for Zetterburg or Kesler in the last 72 hours right?

Reactions: hmc1987

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Palat no trade you can take him off the list.

Everyone has seen the Johnson plus rumors for Zetterburg or Kesler in the last 72 hours right?

Can't see Johnson waiving for either of those teams. If they tried some shady stuff like TB waives Johnson and Detroit claims him then trades Zetterburg for a pick then the PA would instantly be filing a grievance.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FLA should be interested in Killorn but he does have a 16 team no trade list with the modified NTC.
Although I'd hope Zito could get one of their top 3 D prospects attached if we take full cap hit.

Not worth paying a 3rd/4th for us, there has to be some incentive/leverage as they need to move cap and everyone knows it

FLA will likely lose one of Vatrano or Connolly to expansion draft anyhow.

Reactions: hmc1987

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Seeing as Schmidt went for a 5th I'll go with that and you probably have to pay someone to take Killorn at this point with a couple good FA's still available like Hoffman and Granlund and Soderberg to an extent.

Schmidt was a 3rd, and a little different in the sense that LVK was on a 24 hour clock to get under the cap's 10% upper limit. I do agree with you though...why would a team give up any asset and help TBL when there are still quality UFA's who can be signed on the teams terms?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not many teams that can take on Palat's full contract. He has a full NTC for this season. I can't see him waiving to go to a team that can fit him (Devils, Kings, Predators, Senators, Wings). Jackets, Panthers, Hawks won't have room once they sign their RFAs and get to a full roster. There's also several teams that have to purge some cap.

Killorn only has a modified NTC so he has a higher probability of being traded but even then it's a 16 team no trade list.... and i don't think Devils, Kings, Predators, Senators, Wings will be on the list of where he can be traded to.

There's also still good UFAs that can be had for free (Hoffman, Duclair, Soderberg, Granlund, etc). At this point, with how few teams have enough capspace to take on these caphits and with the players having trade protections limiting where they can be sent, i can't see them costing more than future considerations and will likely end up costing Tampa something.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Can't see Johnson waiving for either of those teams. If they tried some shady stuff like TB waives Johnson and Detroit claims him then trades Zetterburg for a pick then the PA would instantly be filing a grievance.

I think Johnson would rather play for the Red Wings than the Crunch.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Tampa would never get a good enough return for Palat to justify trading him. The market is just too hostile.

Killorn is a different story, and I'd expect the cost to be a mid-to-late pick.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Add Cernak to Killorn.
Cernak + Killorn would bring a good return and give cap room to sign Cirelli, plus
As a Jets fan, I’d be interested, though Winnipeg is likely on Killorns 16 team no trade list

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Like post #4 suggest, there are so many unknowns at this point. I suspect that is the reason for the lack of movement on TBL players like Palat, Killorn & TJ.

I doubt that the season will start on Jan. 1. Too much to do in so little time.

So, if you assume a later start (i.e., around Feb. 1), I'd guess the NHL could have a shortened season (i.e., 48 games) with perhaps the first half of the games played in some kind of bubble arrangement (then a week or 10-day break in the schedule), although there doesn't seem to much interest in that. I'd guess that there's lots of support from many owners to cancel the season as well as they know they are going to take a big financial hit. The scenario I described in the beginning of this paragraph is starting to look like the best case scenario for a season to occur.

With this kind of environment, I can see why Lightning ownership and management are waiting to see how things unfold.

If there is a season, and it starts let's say around Feb. 1, then ownership/management are going to have to make some tough decisions. I doubt if many of the other teams are really keen on taking on another large salary in this situation, so I can see TBL needing to try to motivate GMs/owners with some incentives to try to get this done. Kind of sad in a way, but this is the reality of the current situation.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think they’ll get at least a second for either of the two talked about here. They’re all good players, and I don’t think TB is in the same pinch Vegas was in. Teams need these two players, there will be enough interest raise the price to a second if not more.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Tampa would never get a good enough return for Palat to justify trading him. The market is just too hostile.

Killorn is a different story, and I'd expect the cost to be a mid-to-late pick.
Yes, they would most likely have to sell cheaply on Palat. Palat’s trade protection will likely make it harder to get a decent return. I guess the only justification is getting Cirelli and Cernak re-signed without having to give up a top prospect as they would have to do to move Johnson’s contract. More of an eye to the future type move, as they’re gonna have to something that hurts in one way or another. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad