Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Has Travis Green worked with Andlauer or Staios before?

The only possible connection I can see is that he played with Papa Tkachuk.

I have no idea if they are friends, buddies, best buddies - but that's where my Senspiracy mind goes. Not that they would hire a coach they didn't think was one of the right ones, or good for the job - but I wonder if there was any leverage there for the Tkachuk's to have a say in the process. Maybe that's an absurd notion, I don't know if the captain/most marketable player/impening mr. nmc would have any say in that sort of thing regularly. Someone who has worked in an NHL front office could chime in if they post here. Pierre?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How’s that completely new context working out?
Lol they havent done anything yet. They havent played a game under Green, they havent made any big changes yet because they had to get to know the team. I know you loved how Dorion and Melnyk ran the team it was so effective..... Sorry they arent making reactionary decisions based on emotion and being cheap.

The fact that DJ was hired by another NHL team a month after he was fired is telling.

That being said, we were absolutely due for a change. But he's not a bad coach.
He was demoted and hired as an assistant.... What on earth are you talking about. Do you guys have stockholm syndrome? Did you like being the worst franchise in the NHL? It was so obvious how much more responsible the team played when DJ was gone once they got used to a coach that had them play the right way. You'd truly have to not understand the sport to not have seen it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The more I'm reading about Green from Canuck fans the more horrendous this signing feels.
Why do people think posters on HF know what they are talking about? Theres a handful of people here that actually played or were involved in the sport and know what they are looking at. The majority have no clue.

Does Andlauer use social media? How is he ok with the fan peception?
Why does fan perception matter? If management listened to fans the Habs would have drafted Shane Wright over Slafkovsky. When it was obvious as hell who the better prospect was. All that matters is results. Fans dont know better than multiple people in hockey opps that played 1000 NHL games and actually interviewed these coachs and did their own due diligence. I hate to break it to you. Maybe you guys should listen to what Franky Corrado had to say about Green or Farhan Lalji's interview on the drive today.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why do people think posters on HF know what they are talking about? Theres a handful of people here that actually played or were involved in the sport and know what they are looking at. The majority have no clue.

Why does fan perception matter? All that matters is results. Fans dont know better than guys that played 1000 NHL games I hate to break it to you.
I’m not sure if results actually matter considering who we just hired. What exactly are his results?

And if you don’t think fan perception matters for a franchise that has been a dumpster fire for 7 years I’m not sure what to tell you.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not sure if results actually matter considering who we just hired. What exactly are his results?

And if you don’t think fan perception matters for a franchise that has been a dumpster fire for 7 years I’m not sure what to tell you.
If NHL management listened to fans the Habs would have drafted Shane Wright over Slafkovsky. When it was obvious as hell who the better prospect was. All that matters is results. Fans dont know better than multiple people in hockey opps that played 1000 NHL games and actually interviewed these coachs and did their own due diligence. I hate to break it to you. Maybe you guys should listen to what Franky Corrado had to say about Green or Farhan Lalji's interview on the drive today.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If NHL management listened to fans the Habs would have drafted Shane Wright over Slafkovsky. When it was obvious as hell who the better prospect was. All that matters is results. Fans dont know better than multiple people in hockey opps that played 1000 NHL games and actually interviewed these coachs and did their own due diligence. I hate to break it to you. Maybe you guys should listen to what Franky Corrado had to say about Green or Farhan Lalji's interview on the drive today.
You keep saying all that matters is results yet we hired a guy who has never produced good results in the NHL.

Reactions: slamigo

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You keep saying all that matters is results yet we hired a guy who has never produced good results in the NHL.
He had a bad rebuilding team that wasnt ready or built to win. He had great results in the AHL before that. He is on his second NHL team now thats typically when coachs break out. I have heard plenty about how he runs his camps and how he wants his teams to play. Its what Ottawa needs, he endorses heavy hard hockey. I will reserve judgement for him by the end of next season and see where the team is at. Until then I will relly on the sens hockey ops who know way more about the sport that I do. Resources like opinions of former players and media members who are actually qualified.

Did you think DJ was a good coach?
What does Travis Green and DJ smith have to do with one another exactly? Once you explain that I will answer the question.

Based on what I am reading the only research anyone here has done is go and read another teams boards about their opinion on a coach they had what 4 years ago? When they had a shit team... nice job. A bunch of unqualified fans who have no skin in the game. Like I said earlier ill refer to the real professionals. What I will repeat is I wont judge the hire until I actually can see how the team plays.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He had a bad rebuilding team that wasnt ready or built to win. He had great results in the AHL before that. He is on his second NHL team now thats typically when coachs break out. I have heard plenty about how he runs his camps and how he wants his teams to play. Its what Ottawa needs, he endorses heavy hard hockey. I will reserve judgement for him by the end of next season and see where the team is at. Until then I will relly on the sens hockey ops who know way more about the sport that I do. Resources like opinions of former players and media members who are actually qualified.

What does Travis Green and DJ smith have to do with one another exactly? Once you explain that I will answer the question.
He’s referring to the fact that DJ was hired and kept by people who know about hockey more than the fans do.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s referring to the fact that DJ was hired and kept by people who know about hockey more than the fans do.
Pierre Dorion doesnt know shit. He has absolutely no real experience.

Also I think DJ was the right coach for the first three years. He built a strong culture where the team competed and played hard for one another. However it was obvious the team needed to take another step and he should have been replaced. Dorion knows absolutely nothing about the sport at the pro level and kept him around for too long. But to start I think it was a good hire considering they were tanking but didnt want to have too much of a loser mentality.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'll just repost what I said when the Devils hired him because I'm reading some people's opinions on him about his AHL success that is just flat out wrong. I had the pleasure to watch his entire tenure with the Canucks + the Comets.

"I'm a Canucks fan.

This guy cut corners all the goddamn time. He never played the prospects on the farm; the little AHL success he had is because Markstrom cleared waivers in 2014-15 and carried them to the finals. He doesn't have a system, loves grinders, and doesn't develop players. Canucks media hyped him up as the next prodigy coach because he coached Utica to a final. So national media picked up the storm and branded him as a "good coach." Once the Canadian media has a narrative, it sticks. It's bad.

Because nobody really watches Vancouver play because they were shit under Green, they didn't even realize how shit he is. But he never got called out for it because he had that previous reputation of being a good AHL coach (all because of Markstrom's 0.934).

I hope you guys find a better next coach. You guys don't deserve this."

"If you want to dig up old arguments about Green, we can. You mentioned that they brought in AHL vets to push the Comets toward a playoff run. What you conveniently omit is that under Green's tenure, McCann and Hutton were sent home and apparently were not good enough for the playoffs. Virtanen barely got a sniff in the AHL either that run. All in favor of guys like the aforementioned 35-year-old AHL vet Kent Huskins, Travis Ehrhardt (ECHL tweener), and 25-year-old Brandon DeFazio. McCann never even got a game in the AHL to see how he'd do. Meanwhile less than 6 months later, all three of these players play nearly full seasons with the Canucks as regulars.

They TRADED for Cory Conacher, who was a big flop, to then just remove Shinkaruk from the powerplay. Utica traded FOR AHL vets so they did not have to play prospects.

The reality is Travis Green did his utmost job not to try and develop players, but rather to win now to get to the NHL. You see it here with the Devils, the first thing he does is put a young player that the Devils want to develop in the pressbox to "send a message." Oh, shucks, where have I seen that before?

Imagine having a farm team, then having the guy running the farm send all your young, close-to-NHL-ready prospects home to play his veteran AHL guys. Meanwhile, the Monarchs gave a guy like Adrien Kempe, a 17-year-old fresh from Europe, on the team, and he scores 4 goals in 5 games in the finals. You'd bet your ass that Kempe NEVER would have got that opportunity under Green because Green does not like playing young players. Green took advantage of Benning's incompetence by "winning on the farm." Meanwhile, he refused to give the young players a substantial amount of ice time.

You and I both know this: we watched the same playoffs. We watched the same Green. Soon enough, Devils fans will see this as well, as people in Vancouver did. Nemec is the first pin to drop, expect more Devils fans. If there isn't a franchise goaltender for him to fall back on, he flops, he has no system, it's not even dump and chase, it's dump and change."

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
How’s that completely new context working out?
Well now that we hired a coach that twitter and HFboards doesnt like, I'm absolutely distraught.

I don't take 90% of people's opinions on coaching seriously and you definitely fall within that group.

Really quite funny that you posted this as some sort of gotcha. I'm gonna stop engaging with you now.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
This hiring assuming it’s happening doesn’t feel good. This was the opportunity to show willingness to go out and get the best. I hope it works out, but hard to be excited.

And, I really hope we don’t become a dump and chase team. We have the personnel for possession entries, I hated DJ’s dump and chase. Under Martin there was less of that, which was refreshing. The best teams seem to come into the offensive zone with possession in waves more often than not, that’s what I want to see. But what do I know really.

Reactions: Samboni and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll just repost what I said when the Devils hired him because I'm reading some people's opinions on him about his AHL success that is just flat out wrong. I had the pleasure to watch his entire tenure with the Canucks + the Comets.

"I'm a Canucks fan.

This guy cut corners all the goddamn time. He never played the prospects on the farm; the little AHL success he had is because Markstrom cleared waivers in 2014-15 and carried them to the finals. He doesn't have a system, loves grinders, and doesn't develop players. Canucks media hyped him up as the next prodigy coach because he coached Utica to a final. So national media picked up the storm and branded him as a "good coach." Once the Canadian media has a narrative, it sticks. It's bad.

Because nobody really watches Vancouver play because they were shit under Green, they didn't even realize how shit he is. But he never got called out for it because he had that previous reputation of being a good AHL coach (all because of Markstrom's 0.934).

"If you want to dig up old arguments about Green, we can. You mentioned that they brought in AHL vets to push the Comets toward a playoff run. What you conveniently omit is that under Green's tenure, McCann and Hutton were sent home and apparently were not good enough for the playoffs. Virtanen barely got a sniff in the AHL either that run. All in favor of guys like the aforementioned 35-year-old AHL vet Kent Huskins, Travis Ehrhardt (ECHL tweener), and 25-year-old Brandon DeFazio. McCann never even got a game in the AHL to see how he'd do. Meanwhile less than 6 months later, all three of these players play nearly full seasons with the Canucks as regulars.

They TRADED for Cory Conacher, who was a big flop, to then just remove Shinkaruk from the powerplay. Utica traded FOR AHL vets so they did not have to play prospects.

The reality is Travis Green did his utmost job not to try and develop players, but rather to win now to get to the NHL. You see it here with the Devils, the first thing he does is put a young player that the Devils want to develop in the pressbox to "send a message." Oh, shucks, where have I seen that before?

Imagine having a farm team, then having the guy running the farm send all your young, close-to-NHL-ready prospects home to play his veteran AHL guys. Meanwhile, the Monarchs gave a guy like Adrien Kempe, a 17-year-old fresh from Europe, on the team, and he scores 4 goals in 5 games in the finals. You'd bet your ass that Kempe NEVER would have got that opportunity under Green because Green does not like playing young players. Green took advantage of Benning's incompetence by "winning on the farm." Meanwhile, he refused to give the young players a substantial amount of ice time.

You and I both know this: we watched the same playoffs. We watched the same Green. Soon enough, Devils fans will see this as well, as people in Vancouver did. Nemec is the first pin to drop, expect more Devils fans. If there isn't a franchise goaltender for him to fall back on, he flops, he has no system, it's not even dump and chase, it's dump and change."
Green played the hell out of Petersson and Quinn Hughes. Seems like you're cherry picking and omiting the obvious. Cant really take this opinion seriously.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This hiring assuming it’s happening doesn’t feel good. This was the opportunity to show willingness to go out and get the best. I hope it works out, but hard to be excited.

And, I really hope we don’t become a dump and chase team. We have the personnel for possession entries, I hated DJ’s dump and chase. Under Martin there was less of that, which was refreshing. The best teams seem to come into the offensive zone with possession in waves more often than not, that’s what I want to see. But what do I know really.
Here is your mistake - a) thinking that fans on here know what is best and b) thinking that they did not choose the guy who they thought would be the best (or at least the best available).

Also Brind'amour is probably the most sought after coach in the entire league and he relies on dump and chase as much as if not more than anyone.
Green played the hell out of Petersson and Quinn Hughes. Seems like you're cherry picking and omiting the obvious. Cant really take this opinion seriously.
He benched Hutton, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Juolevi, and Gaudette, though. All in a ridiculous attempt to win.

Also, the man is 53. Practically dust and bones at this point. There is no chance that he could evolve or get different results from a different group of players, with different bosses (the Aquillini's wouldn't meddle...!), and with a different staff.

I didn't want us to hire Green, but I'm not dumb enough to think that I really know what I'm talking about. Of course, it's easier to assume incompetence (or malice? cheapness? etc) in others than to admit that.

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
You can find puff pieces and praises about every coach hiring in history. It means nothing to me. Just like how well-spoken he is going go be at his press conference this week will mean nothing to me.

If you tell the media you’re looking to hire a proven winner, hire a proven winner, not someone who could become a winner some day.

Reactions: DrEasy

Emerica

May 29, 2010

"I'm a Canucks fan.

geez thanks

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad