Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I think everyone needs a reality check here on who the hell would want to come to Ottawa to coach an NHL team. That's the bottom line. I am sure Staois and lets not forget Poulin, spoke to or interviewed a few candidates, but in the end, it's our city and the choice of destination. Period. We are a small town/city that cannot even keep a high-end luxury retailer like Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom's. I am sure there were quite a few rejections from available coaches with pedigree. I have accepted it as this is the fate of our small, sleepy Ottawa. Really, why in the past have we always hired no-name coaches? Because the big names could go to much nicer and fancier destinations.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If we’re still losers, I hope Chabot and Tkachuk ask for trades. Batherson too

Would rather see them have success somewhere else, ala Mark Stone or Mika Zibanejad

Since we might be rebuilding again, we should use our cap space to retain on Karlsson (so a contender could have him at 6.0) and get another first

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I think everyone needs a reality check here on who the hell would want to come to Ottawa to coach an NHL team. That's the bottom line. I am sure Staois and lets not forget Poulin, spoke to or interviewed a few candidates, but in the end, it's our city and the choice of destination. Period. We are a small town/city that cannot even keep a high-end luxury retailer like Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom's. I am sure there were quite a few rejections from available coaches with pedigree. I have accepted it as this is the fate of our small, sleepy Ottawa. Really, why in the past have we always hired no-name coaches? Because the big names could go to much nicer and fancier destinations.
I think you nailed it, not many if any coaches with pedigree would want to come to Ottawa.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I keep reading coaches don’t wanna come here when Julien literally just said he’d like the job and insiders kept saying Evason was intrigued by it too.

Every time there’s a below average move made here people always end up trying to spin it into positive, I mean I get it what else can we do? But at some point its okay to stop being fine with mediocrity too IMO

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think a big thing with Travis Green is that he is a statement to winning (he did it against us in uniform and he talks like he expects to win) - and taking the next step to be the type of team in Green’s image of jerkiness is what we want but probably we are afraid to admit because it’s the hardest way to play.

I’m more worried about Green showing us our players aren’t the real deal and are soft instead of him failing as a coach. I wonder he sets the bar high and the players fail to achieve it - there was a comfort in DJs promise of the future and not being worried about he horrid hockey being played and to only judge the players for what they’ll be at 28-29 years old instead of the crap hockey they were currently playing.

It’s real now, we need to win NOW. That’s scary. We may faceplant, we may have to break up the team, we may need a new tarp job in the 300s

That being said - I still want to punch Travis Green in the back of the knee and drop a flying elbow on him.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
IMO looks like bait-and-switch. Head fake w loser Green, then come back w "their Hamilton bud" Gruden.

Meanwhile, Laffs get kick-ass Gerard Gallant after Keefe is booted. Another Islander like assistant coach Walrus MacLean. Better yet, why not just bring back Paul MacLean when Leafs clean house?!

With Green we would get MORE "stability", like ++yrs of DJ

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Guys it’s okay AJ Jakubec says when New England hired Belicheck, patriots fans hated that too. And he went on to become the greatest football coach ever.

He goes on to say that that probably won’t happen with Green BUT….

Just if you want to hear some hard hitting analysis from team1200

Frankie Corrado very positive on Green this morning, some good info there.
Well I doubt they would have brought on someone who was just going to tear him to shreds

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Never said you weren't.

Just funny to me how easy it is to just shit on every move a franchise makes because there is literally no downside.

Either you are "right" and something bad happens which you can waive around like a flag, or you are wrong and get to cheer with everyone else.

It's honestly the best strategy. So much easier as a fan to shit on the team and be right 95% of the time...and then when they win, you're super happy...so it's a win win.

Why wouldn't anyone follow this strategy is beyond me. Especially after nearly a decade of disappointment.

Reactions: h2

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Every time there’s a below average move made here people always end up trying to spin it into positive, I mean I get it what else can we do? But at some point its okay to stop being fine with mediocrity too IMO

This 1000%

Reactions: Rodzilla

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Honestly, I haven't disliked a coach hire this much in the 20 years of following this team

Same. He was a piece of shit human as a player in my opinion...why would that change? Don't want his rat mentality around the team at all.

I've never been pissed at a coach hiring until now. I've been disappointed or underwhelmed...but angry? Nope. Not until today.

What a sad day for the Ottawa Senators.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well I doubt they would have brought on someone who was just going to tear him to shreds
The definitely should have brought in some anonymous HF nucks fans rather than someone who played for him, we'd have gotten much better insight.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I keep reading coaches don’t wanna come here when Julien literally just said he’d like the job and insiders kept saying Evason was intrigued by it too.

When those people are wrong they almost NEVER come back and say “oh shit I was wrong that DID suck”. They just claim they were still right because they sided with the pros and didn’t have all the info.

Yea people that say a move is wrong have the opportunity to cheer the team on when if the move goes right. But at least they don’t sit on the fence and claim they were correct either way

The definitely should have brought in some anonymous HF nucks fans rather than someone who played for him, we'd have gotten much better insight.
That would have been more entertaining

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
When those people are wrong they almost NEVER come back and say “oh shit I was wrong that DID suck”. They just claim they were still right because they sided with the pros and didn’t have all the info.

Yea people that say a move is wrong have the opportunity to cheer the team on when if the move goes right. But at least they don’t sit on the fence and claim they were correct either way

That would have been more entertaining
Right, I'm sure everyone will be signing up to eat crow if Green finds success here...

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
TSN posted the interview for anyone that missed it

What did MJ say? I respect his take. Wish Simmer were still on TSN1200 to hear his thoughts on Green...or other coach options. TSN1200 is a shell of its former self.. mostly radio jockeys 🏇 with little insight to add 😞

More MJ & Cheryl Pounder please 🙏

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So I’ll admit I’m disappointed with the hire, but the management group evaluated what type of coach they think the players need, so we now just have to watch and see if they were right.
For what it's worth, Corrado's description of how he runs things seems to fit what a lot of people say they want to a tee.

-Holds people accountable
-Extremely good at identifying how to motivate different types of players, personalizes his approach
-Very tough training camp
-Aggressive system that is hard to play against
-wants as much info as possible, uses adv stats to help inform decision
-good with young players

How will it pan out, idk, but between Corrado and Lalji, it doesn't seem to be doom and gloom. I'm interested to see who we get for assistants.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
For what it's worth, Corrado's description of how he runs things seems to fit what a lot of people say they want to a tee.

-Holds people accountable
-Extremely good at identifying how to motivate different types of players, personalizes his approach
-Very tough training camp
-Aggressive system that is hard to play against
-wants as much info as possible, uses adv stats to help inform decision
-good with young players

How will it pan out, idk, but between Corrado and Lalji, it doesn't seem to be doom and gloom. I'm interested to see who we get for assistants.
Something that is worth noting is that a lot of system's issues end up being more about assistant coaches than head coaches.

This could work, but the assistants are the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad