The CHL limiting the number of non-Canadians??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
If their goal is to hurt the development of Canada's top-level talents and the quality of its national junior team by taking skilled foreign players and replacing them with Canadian-born 4th line muckers, all in the name of developing players whose dream of playing hockey ends at the ECHL (if they are lucky), then by all means do it.

If their goal is to actually win gold in the WJC again, it's a horrible idea.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Epsilon said:
If their goal is to hurt the development of Canada's top-level talents and the quality of its national junior team by taking skilled foreign players and replacing them with Canadian-born 4th line muckers, all in the name of developing players whose dream of playing hockey ends at the ECHL (if they are lucky), then by all means do it.

If their goal is to actually win gold in the WJC again, it's a horrible idea.

I recall less foreign born players in the CHL during the drive for 5 years than there are now during our gold medal drought.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Roughneck said:
I recall less foreign born players in the CHL during the drive for 5 years than there are now during our gold medal drought.

1. The CHL continues to add expansion teams, increasing the need for players.

2. Developmental programs in Europe have increased quite a bit during this time period, and the number of junior age players playing in elite leagues has also gone up. The US NTDP and NCAA system have also increased in quality.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you go back to 1992, there were 43 CHL teams - at 20 players/team that's 860 players.

In 2004, there are 56 teams. That's 260 more guys playing major junior hockey than just 12 years ago, and the 80 or so Euros don't even begin to make up the difference. There are more Canadian players playing in the CHL than at any point ever, and there's no reason whatsoever to degrade the product in the name of protecting Canadian spots. The notion is just idiotic.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Jacobv2 said:
If they want to dillute the talent level, go for it.

of course it's easy to say something like this, however i'd be curious of the numbers or percentages of euros that come over to the chl and actually succeed/impress/put up solid numbers...

i don't think it'd be as high as many would believe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
andora said:
of course it's easy to say something like this, however i'd be curious of the numbers or percentages of euros that come over to the chl and actually succeed/impress/put up solid numbers...

i don't think it'd be as high as many would believe

Easy enough figure out. In the WHL, there are 34 imports this year. By my count, 22 of them (65%) are core players for their respective teams. Of the 13 that aren't, several are 87s who should develop into key members of their respective teams over the next couple years. To me, that's a pretty good success rate ... there are a few guys who are mediocre space fillers, but the vast majority are important parts of their respective teams, either now or in the future. I'd only classify 5 of the 34 as flops.

Succeeding - top 6/top 4 guys
Sagat
Darzins
Psurny
Wick
Pushkarev
Marjamaki
Seitsonen
Bahensky
Svensson
Hromas
Jonasen
Scurko
Gulasi
Kuukka
Engman
Zapletal
Baranka
Polak
Lukacovic
Tesliuk
Meszaros
Schwarz

Borderline
Trojovsky
Knebl (87)
Policarpov (87)
Sandell (87)
Grabner (87)
Gracik
Tolpeko

Disappointing
Tomanek
Blanar
Ruzicka
Dornic
Bucek

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
reffree said:
Totally agree with all you said, non canadians are really important to the CHL.

many of my fav Q players would be out of the league with those rules ...
plus the Q will add two expension team next year... that allready add 40-50 junior AAA players in the league...think it's enough

60% of the Remparts are US born. Patrick Roy would be screwed. Maybe if the Remps didnt go so American no one would be talking about limiting the US born players.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
60% of the Remparts are US born. Patrick Roy would be screwed. Maybe if the Remps didnt go so American no one would be talking about limiting the US born players.

I'm a quebec fans, but by fav players I was more talking about guys like Radulov, Zagrapan, Vrana, Krejci, etc ... than guys like Coughlin, Lavallee, Andricopoulos, Ryan ... I'm still pretty happy to count them with the team though, they are guys who increase the level of play in the league but they aren't the flashy guys who "déplace les foules" sorry for the french I dunno how to say it in english :shakehead

As for the Remps line up, we could say it is this (in no particular order):

Joyal (can)
Bernard (can)

Vlasic(can) - Welton(can)
Ryan(us) - Shaw(us)
Andricopoulos(us) - Lachance(can)
Paris (can)

Hennessy(us)-Ralulov(euro)-Tessier(can)
Gagné(can)-Lavallee(us)-Melanson(can)
Churilov(euro)-Courcelles(can)-Lacroix(can)
Coughlin(us)-Gratchev(us)-Tidball(can)
Mineault(can)-Alain Rochette(can)-Lincourt(can)

if I didn't count extra D and F who are all canadians it gives:
2 euros
7 american
11 canadians

7 out of 20 for 35% of US born player... it's still high tough

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Roughneck said:
I can understand limiting the number of Europeans on teams. Although, I think if the NHL raises the draft age then they should keep it at 2.

But it is definitely stupid to limit the number of Americans on teams when all three leagues in the CHL have American teams in them.

I agree with Don CHerry when he said "If we can go to the States to play college hockey without restriction, then their boys can come up here."

I remember some years ago reading a Kelowna Rockets yearbook that had a list of WHL rules on them. I believe one of the rules said a team is only allowed to have 2 European players on a team. Can't remember if I miss read of not.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
I remember some years ago reading a Kelowna Rockets yearbook that had a list of WHL rules on them. I believe one of the rules said a team is only allowed to have 2 European players on a team. Can't remember if I miss read of not.

That is the current CHL rule. There has been much talk about eliminating the import player (which I think is wrong) and reducing it to 1 (something that IMO, wouldn't affect the talent level). The amount of time a team has 2 effective Euro players is pretty limited. I'm a Hitmen fan, I know all about great import players, but for every Sjostrom and Brendl there is, there is a Cetkovsky and a Chupilkin.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
MS said:
Easy enough figure out. In the WHL, there are 34 imports this year. By my count, 22 of them (65%) are core players for their respective teams. Of the 13 that aren't, several are 87s who should develop into key members of their respective teams over the next couple years. To me, that's a pretty good success rate ... there are a few guys who are mediocre space fillers, but the vast majority are important parts of their respective teams, either now or in the future. I'd only classify 5 of the 34 as flops.

Succeeding - top 6/top 4 guys
Sagat
Darzins
Psurny
Wick
Pushkarev
Marjamaki
Seitsonen
Bahensky
Svensson
Hromas
Jonasen
Scurko
Gulasi
Kuukka
Engman
Zapletal
Baranka
Polak
Lukacovic
Tesliuk
Meszaros
Schwarz

Borderline
Trojovsky
Knebl (87)
Policarpov (87)
Sandell (87)
Grabner (87)
Gracik
Tolpeko

Disappointing
Tomanek
Blanar
Ruzicka
Dornic
Bucek

thank you for that !.. actually i was planning on doing a similar thing. now of course there would be ones i'd argue against in that 'core' category, and in some of those players i cannot see them not being replaced by another canadian or american that could do the same job

but thanks for those, curious question though, i know you live in bc (pretty sure) and i'm curious if you've seen most of these guys or are going on numbers in some cases.. ? thanks

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
reffree said:
I'm a quebec fans, but by fav players I was more talking about guys like Radulov, Zagrapan, Vrana, Krejci, etc ... than guys like Coughlin, Lavallee, Andricopoulos, Ryan ... I'm still pretty happy to count them with the team though, they are guys who increase the level of play in the league but they aren't the flashy guys who "déplace les foules" sorry for the french I dunno how to say it in english :shakehead

As for the Remps line up, we could say it is this (in no particular order):

Joyal (can)
Bernard (can)

Vlasic(can) - Welton(can)
Ryan(us) - Shaw(us)
Andricopoulos(us) - Lachance(can)
Paris (can)

Hennessy(us)-Ralulov(euro)-Tessier(can)
Gagné(can)-Lavallee(us)-Melanson(can)
Churilov(euro)-Courcelles(can)-Lacroix(can)
Coughlin(us)-Gratchev(us)-Tidball(can)
Mineault(can)-Alain Rochette(can)-Lincourt(can)

if I didn't count extra D and F who are all canadians it gives:
2 euros
7 american
11 canadians

7 out of 20 for 35% of US born player... it's still high tough

Yeah i know, i was just exagerating the 60% :)

But Patrick Roy does whatever it takes to put a winning team on the ice, and if it means US players than so be it :)

I enjoy watching Quebec when they come to town because they always have guys who are rated high for drafts or are high profile americans.

This rule to limit US players was talked about last year...but nothing came of it. I cant see them implimenting it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
andora said:
thank you for that !.. actually i was planning on doing a similar thing. now of course there would be ones i'd argue against in that 'core' category, and in some of those players i cannot see them not being replaced by another canadian or american that could do the same job

but thanks for those, curious question though, i know you live in bc (pretty sure) and i'm curious if you've seen most of these guys or are going on numbers in some cases.. ? thanks

Used to have WHL season tix when I lived in Vancouver, but I'm on Vancouver Island now so I'm limited to watching games on TV and following as closely as possible. So I've seen several of them but mostly I'm going by ear, and I coudn't discuss most of them in any real detail.

I know some of the placings could be debated ... I compiled that pretty quickly. All of the forwards in the first group are producing decent numbers, though, and I'm pretty sure all the d-men are seeing top-4 minutes.

SedinFan*

Rabid Ranger said:
Interesting article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2004/11/30/741655.html

In the name of the continued development of the Canadian junior player, some would like to limit the number of Europeans on each CHL team roster to 1, and the number of Americans to 3. Any thoughts on this? I think it's a crock.

The CHL is a league to develop Canadian hockey players. Limit the number of imports, who take spots from young Canadian kids.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mt.Nigeria said:
The CHL is a league to develop Canadian hockey players. Limit the number of imports, who take spots from young Canadian kids.

I guess you're referring to Americans as well?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
MS said:
Used to have WHL season tix when I lived in Vancouver, but I'm on Vancouver Island now so I'm limited to watching games on TV and following as closely as possible. So I've seen several of them but mostly I'm going by ear, and I coudn't discuss most of them in any real detail.

I know some of the placings could be debated ... I compiled that pretty quickly. All of the forwards in the first group are producing decent numbers, though, and I'm pretty sure all the d-men are seeing top-4 minutes.

thought you lived down south.. thanks for the list though, and i'd agree on the defense. with an import, generally it'll be a top four role or nothing significant

i'll get around to checking out those guys (the guys i'm not too familiar with anyway) and try and come up with something ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad