The CHL limiting the number of non-Canadians??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If they do that and give the US teams unlimited Americans (whihc i heard they will) they better limit the number of Canadians on those teams or there is an unfair advantage.

Sammy*

Does the NCAA limit the number of imports, or do the schools themselves?

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Interesting article: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2004/11/30/741655.html

In the name of the continued development of the Canadian junior player, some would like to limit the number of Europeans on each CHL team roster to 1, and the number of Americans to 3. Any thoughts on this? I think it's a crock.

I've said it in other thread and i'll repeat it. It's stupid!!!!

The CHL is the best junior league in the world, it's one of the few place where Canada attract the best of the world. Usually it's the Canadians talents who goes in the US or elsewhere.

It looks like we dont want to be leaders in hockey neither :banghead:

Tipped Off

16 year olds

the article also says they want to "End the draft of 14- and 15-year-olds into major junior. Allow teams only one 16-year-old and mandate the amount of playing time the player receives."

A team like Everett has 7 16-year olds that receive fairly regular playing time (6 of them are playing in the U17 tourney). I couldn't imagine this team with 5 or 6 more "castoff" players filling in those spots.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Tipped Off said:
the article also says they want to "End the draft of 14- and 15-year-olds into major junior. Allow teams only one 16-year-old and mandate the amount of playing time the player receives."

A team like Everett has 7 16-year olds that receive fairly regular playing time (6 of them are playing in the U17 tourney). I couldn't imagine this team with 5 or 6 more "castoff" players filling in those spots.

The WHL is the only league drafting bantam aged players. OHL and QMJHL draft Midget aged. I hoenstly dont know why WHL picks so young.

The rule now in the QMJHL is that you can only have as many 16 year olds as underaged draft picks. The QMJHL has rounds 1-5 where you can pick 16 year olds. If a team has 7 picks in 5 rounds then they can carry 7 16 year olds. Bathurst last year had 8 picks in 5 rounds and they carried 7 of their 8 16 year olds.

The new rule they are looking at is to limit 16 year olds to 1 per team. Which is ridiculous. Often times keeping 16 year olds in Midget hurts them in their long term development. (If they are ready for the jump).

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I don't think you will see a limit being placed on American players on CHL teams. Frankly I think too many teams are starting to investin scouting of the US, and as a result I think many franchises will oppose any such movement. That said, there are also those teams who cannot afford this, and may support this sort of concept not to "protect" Canadian players, but in order to help keep themselves competitive.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I think it's a riduculous idea. In addition, all three leagues have US-based teams - how can you possibly tell a team in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington, or Maine that they can't have more than 1 or 2 US players?

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Charlie_Girl49 said:
I think it's a riduculous idea. In addition, all three leagues have US-based teams - how can you possibly tell a team in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington, or Maine that they can't have more than 1 or 2 US players?

Some random thoughts:

Well, it's certainly a way to make the Canadian Hockey League strictly Canadian; but destroying much of the interest south of the border.

I think this collection of ideas is plain ridiculous and not thought out.

There are US teams in all three leagues. Limiting the number of Americans may have been possible prior to southward expansion, but in today's CHL, it is simply not feasible. What do you tell a team like the Quebec Remparts (they have seven Americans on their team)? Sorry, we know that you have seven impact players from south of the border, but you're going to have to cut six of them. Sorry for decimating your team. Here, have six Canadian players that were not good enough to crack the CHL.

Two Euros is an adequate amount. I can see fan interest falling off a bit if it is reduced to one player per team. Many of the European imports are among the most exciting players in the league. They draw fans. Replacing a top-line player with a fourth-liner who just happens to be Canadian may seem like a small concern, but that is probably one less player that can attract fans to the rink.

They can say that this is not a business issue, but in today's CHL, you HAVE to look at it as a business issue. Is cutting the number of "skilled imports" good for giving more Canadian kids a chance to play in a higher profile situation? Yes. I suppose. But what is the point of doing dropping the number of "out-of-towners" if attendance will fall a bit - where in some markets, they can't afford to see attendance drop? Probably not.

Limiting teams to one sixteen-year-old will NOT help national development. It will only stagnate it overall. If a player is good enough to play in the league at sixteen, why keep him down a level because of "the rules"?

Sammy*

Sammy said:
Does the NCAA limit the number of imports, or do the schools themselves?

Is their anybody out there who can answer my query on the policy of the NCAA & its teams?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Is their anybody out there who can answer my query on the policy of the NCAA & its teams?

I don't think there is a limit imposed on the number of non-Americans on NCAA teams. Here's a link of FAQ on recruitment which doesn't indicate anything of the sort: http://www.uscho.com/FAQs/?data=recruiting

There are tons of non-Americans competing in sports for U.S. colleges, hockey isn't any differant.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
There are tons of non-Americans competing in sports for U.S. colleges, hockey isn't any differant.
I just thought thatmaybe cause it was a team sport, they might restrict it (dont ask me for the rationale).

YellHockey*

La-La-Laprise said:
The new rule they are looking at is to limit 16 year olds to 1 per team. Which is ridiculous. Often times keeping 16 year olds in Midget hurts them in their long term development. (If they are ready for the jump).

But if only a select few 16 year olds play major junior then the midget leagues will be vastly improved. The improved level of play will help the development of 15 year olds.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Sammy said:

The NCAA does not limit the number of foreign players and the teams simply try to get the best players available regardless of their nationality.

Reilly311

Being a fan of the Erie Otters, I can say I could care less. I don't go watch the team cause there is an american player playing. I want good players on the team regardless of their nationality. Besides, the current American and European players on the current Otters suck anyway. :madfire:

Only the US and European hockey development will suffer. :mad:

Perhaps the NCAA should start banning canadian players from their league? :speechles

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I can understand limiting the number of Europeans on teams. Although, I think if the NHL raises the draft age then they should keep it at 2.

But it is definitely stupid to limit the number of Americans on teams when all three leagues in the CHL have American teams in them.

I agree with Don CHerry when he said "If we can go to the States to play college hockey without restriction, then their boys can come up here."

Reilly311

Roughneck said:
I can understand limiting the number of Europeans on teams.

Explain. Oh, cause you don't want some FOREIGNER taking a good, hardworking canadian boys job.... :speechles

Roughneck said:
I agree with Don CHerry when he said "If we can go to the States to play college hockey without restriction, then their boys can come up here."

Don Cherry must die.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Sammy said:

i'm not sure, but i'd imagine that if any university tried to say who could play and who could not, there we be a crap storm of legal battles.

It would be along the same lines as saying that you could only have 3 german students attend your college. The media and civil rights groups would have a field day.

Reilly311

Sammy said:

I believe the only limitations the NCAA has is the amount of scholorships that can be given out.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Phil said:
Some random thoughts:

Well, it's certainly a way to make the Canadian Hockey League strictly Canadian; but destroying much of the interest south of the border.

I think this collection of ideas is plain ridiculous and not thought out.

There are US teams in all three leagues. Limiting the number of Americans may have been possible prior to southward expansion, but in today's CHL, it is simply not feasible. What do you tell a team like the Quebec Remparts (they have seven Americans on their team)? Sorry, we know that you have seven impact players from south of the border, but you're going to have to cut six of them. Sorry for decimating your team. Here, have six Canadian players that were not good enough to crack the CHL.

Two Euros is an adequate amount. I can see fan interest falling off a bit if it is reduced to one player per team. Many of the European imports are among the most exciting players in the league. They draw fans. Replacing a top-line player with a fourth-liner who just happens to be Canadian may seem like a small concern, but that is probably one less player that can attract fans to the rink.

They can say that this is not a business issue, but in today's CHL, you HAVE to look at it as a business issue. Is cutting the number of "skilled imports" good for giving more Canadian kids a chance to play in a higher profile situation? Yes. I suppose. But what is the point of doing dropping the number of "out-of-towners" if attendance will fall a bit - where in some markets, they can't afford to see attendance drop? Probably not.

Limiting teams to one sixteen-year-old will NOT help national development. It will only stagnate it overall. If a player is good enough to play in the league at sixteen, why keep him down a level because of "the rules"?

Totally agree with all you said, non canadians are really important to the CHL.

many of my fav Q players would be out of the league with those rules ...
plus the Q will add two expension team next year... that allready add 40-50 junior AAA players in the league...think it's enough

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Roughneck said:
I can understand limiting the number of Europeans on teams. Although, I think if the NHL raises the draft age then they should keep it at 2.

But it is definitely stupid to limit the number of Americans on teams when all three leagues in the CHL have American teams in them.

You want to let Americans have no restrictions, yet Euro's are limited? what the hell is the difference? the CHL would just be creating a huge cluster **** by having special rules for teams based in canada and another set of rules for American teams

sorry we cant sign you b/c we already have too many americans...yeah that will go over real well the lawyers

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pavel datsyuk said:
i'm not sure, but i'd imagine that if any university tried to say who could play and who could not, there we be a crap storm of legal battles.

It would be along the same lines as saying that you could only have 3 german students attend your college. The media and civil rights groups would have a field day.

Through selective recruitment and tendering of scholarships schools do say who will attend their institution, and oftentimes it isn't very inclusionary. Look at the University of Minnesota. How many non-Minnesotans are on that team? Not many.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Explain. Oh, cause you don't want some FOREIGNER taking a good, hardworking canadian boys job.... :speechles

Yeah, we are totally unlike all the European leagues putting a cap on the number of import players they have on their teams :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->