CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Was busy earlier, just finishing up the OTT BC game. I feel bad for OTT fans. This is the Bombers O without their Oline and perhaps more importantly Andrew Harris. Just nothing there. I know Nichols hates the "game manager" label but theres seriously almost never in the past 20 years been a QB that has better suited that label. He needs big play makers at RB and WR to make an offense work. The rain played an effect today but still. Good news is the D in OTT will keep them in most games it seems.

Really sucks that WPG doesnt get to play OTT this year.

I noticed that too, re: Bombers schedule. Not sure how the league managed this, it's a clear disadvantage to not play Ottawa. I don't think the Redblacks will win a game where defence or special teams doesn't score a TD this season. What a waste of what actually looks like a pretty solid defense.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Al Fatbury crew continues to be the worst in the CFL by a long mile. Tight game, two blown calls that both resulted in eventual points for the Bombers was the difference.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Al Fatbury crew continues to be the worst in the CFL by a long mile. Tight game, two blown calls that both resulted in eventual points for the Bombers was the difference.
Which ones (genuine question, I don’t remember)?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Thats the oddest take Ive heard about that game. Didnt see any blown calls FOR the Bombers. That Lawler TD looked real damn close to not being touched. Im not sure that was enough evidence to overturn a call on the field.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Which ones (genuine question, I don’t remember)?

Winnipeg looked to be offside by a full yard on the 50 yard gain right before their TD in the first half. TSN didn't show a replay so it's possible I somehow saw it wrong or something, but watching it live it looked really obvious. Would have been 2nd and 15 at midfield versus 1st and goal on the 3. The other one was the first roughing the passer call on Rose in the 4th quarter. Super soft call that sustained a drive that was about to end with a punt.

Edit: Went back to watch the play in question on my TSN app, and indeed Kenny Lawler is a yard and a half(!) offside on Bailey's 50 yard reception. He was the inside slot receiver too, almost inconceivable that the official could miss it.

Lawler was pretty clearly contacted on his way to ground on the TD that got taken off the board. I think the broadcast crew got caught up looking for contact once he was already down (and there was none, hence the confusion), but the command centre actually got that one right IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Winnipeg looked to be offside by a full yard on the 50 yard gain right before their TD in the first half. TSN didn't show a replay so it's possible I somehow saw it wrong or something, but watching it live it looked really obvious. Would have been 2nd and 15 at midfield versus 1st and goal on the 3. The other one was the first roughing the passer call on Rose in the 4th quarter. Super soft call that sustained a drive that was about to end with a punt.

Edit: Went back to watch the play in question on my TSN app, and indeed Kenny Lawler is a yard and a half(!) offside on Bailey's 50 yard reception. He was the inside slot receiver too, almost inconceivable that the official could miss it.

Lawler was pretty clearly contacted on his way to ground on the TD that got taken off the board. I think the broadcast crew got caught up looking for contact once he was already down (and there was none, hence the confusion), but the command centre actually got that one right IMO.

offsides are missed so much in the CFL its crazy. I have never been a fan of having the WRs in movement pre snap as the refs miss 70% of the offsides this creates.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
offsides are missed so much in the CFL its crazy. I have never been a fan of having the WRs in movement pre snap as the refs miss 70% of the offsides this creates.

I find they'll generally give guys about half a yard nowadays (and have for a while). Generally more leniency for the wideouts. The slot guys have to be a bit more careful since it's easier to spot closer to the ball.

Anyone know if you can challenge offside? Kind of surprised Dickenson didn't, if it's allowed.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I find they'll generally give guys about half a yard nowadays (and have for a while). Generally more leniency for the wideouts. The slot guys have to be a bit more careful since it's easier to spot closer to the ball.

Anyone know if you can challenge offside? Kind of surprised Dickenson didn't, if it's allowed.

I don't think you can challenge offside. Honestly I didn't see this one and I completely blanked on taping the game this week. So I can't say for sure, but I'd bet there's a half dozen on BOTH sides that could have been offside from receivers. One of the frustrating things about CFL I'd agree no doubt.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think you can challenge offside. Honestly I didn't see this one and I completely blanked on taping the game this week. So I can't say for sure, but I'd bet there's a half dozen on BOTH sides that could have been offside from receivers. One of the frustrating things about CFL I'd agree no doubt.
You'd think with technology they could just have a ref that hits a button as soon as it's snapped and if anyone is pass the line of scrimmage a buzzer would go off to stop play.

Curling can do it with censors in the handle, so you'd think football could do it.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
I don't know how many Montreal or Ottawa fans are on here but how big is the rivalry between those two?

It seems to lack a bit compared to the other games we usually get on Labour Day week (Calgary-Edmonton, Saskatchewan-Winnipeg and Hamilton-Toronto).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't know how many Montreal or Ottawa fans are on here but how big is the rivalry between those two?

It seems to lack a bit compared to the other games we usually get on Labour Day week (Calgary-Edmonton, Saskatchewan-Winnipeg and Hamilton-Toronto).

OTT (since theyve been back), BC, and MTL have always been the odd men out on Labour Day weekend. None of them have a "natural" rival. Ideally OTT-MTL would develop one and then eventually you have "The Battle of the Coasts" with BC-Atlantic Canada team if we ever get a 10th team in the maritimes. But until then Labour Day and the rematch week will be an odd jumble of the 3 leftover teams.

Ottawa looks alot better with Davis. I dont think it neccessarily means much in terms of Davis but moreso a critique of Nichols. I think his days as a starter are pretty much done. I wouldnt be surprised if OTT makes a play for McLeod Bethel-Thompson. If not they may realize this a lost season and make a play Maier or Rourke in the off-season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Winnipeg with a real statement there. Probably their best Labour Day performance in 20 years. In spite of pretty mediocre offensive production, that team just finds ways to get their points. Signing Willie Jefferson really was a franchise defining move, on a smaller field this guy would be Ray Lewis, not any offensive linemen in this league who can contain him over 60 minutes.

Wtf was with that roughing the kicker call, one of those ones that truly had you wondering if the ref bet on the game.

Tough night for Maas and Fajardo. You could feel something wasn't quite right when he missed a wide open man that would have gone the length of the field for a td. Maas made no effort at all to involve the run, almost got his QB killed on a called QB draw on 2nd and 10, didn't even try to run a screen to back off the blitz, and managed the clock terribly late in both halves. Considering the Riders were coming out of a bye, there really is no excuse to be that bad tactically, and I'd be a little concerned at what I saw if I were a Rider fan.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wtf was with that roughing the kicker call, one of those ones that truly had you wondering if the ref bet on the game.

It was a penalty. Obviously not a roughing the kicker. But sask player kicked out Liegghio's legs as Liegghio started to run. It was textbook tripping call. It should have been Sask ball at the ~Sask 20 instead on Bombers 37. The TSN guys convienently didnt mention it but it was quite clear on replay you can see the kick.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It was a penalty. Obviously not a roughing the kicker. But sask player kicked out Liegghio's legs as Liegghio started to run. It was textbook tripping call. It should have been Sask ball at the ~Sask 20 instead on Bombers 37. The TSN guys convienently didnt mention it but it was quite clear on replay you can see the kick.

Did you find some replay with a reverse angle? I watched it ten times and can't see anything that shows him clearly getting his legs kicked out. But not important now, in either case the refs totally blew it.

But what's up with the command centre now calling down on plays that weren't scores or turnovers? An offside randomly overturned yesterday (and here it looked like the guy was clearly offside anyway?). And they randomly called down to rescind a tripping call in the Elks-Lions game a couple weeks back (this was a scoring play though). Can the command centre just insert themselves into games at any point now? That's a terrifying prospect.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did you find some replay with a reverse angle? I watched it ten times and can't see anything that shows him clearly getting his legs kicked out. But not important now, in either case the refs totally blew it.

But what's up with the command centre now calling down on plays that weren't scores or turnovers? An offside randomly overturned yesterday (and here it looked like the guy was clearly offside anyway?). And they randomly called down to rescind a tripping call in the Elks-Lions game a couple weeks back (this was a scoring play though). Can the command centre just insert themselves into games at any point now? That's a terrifying prospect.

No i watched it probably 10 times and if you look at 74's legs you can see it clearly.

The offside one im with you. That one was insane. I didnt any offside but i would ignore that part of it. No idea how the make that call. No turnover not a scoring play no challenge. No idea. I mean worked for the Bombers there, but not sure if that should be a standard.

But its not like command center was great either. O'Shea's challemge was the most obvious roughing the passer revies ive ever seen. I dont neccessarily agree with it, but they've established any head contact is a roughing the passer. Sask guy locked onto the facemask and turned him. Incredibly obvious.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No i watched it probably 10 times and if you look at 74's legs you can see it clearly.

The offside one im with you. That one was insane. I didnt any offside but i would ignore that part of it. No idea how the make that call. No turnover not a scoring play no challenge. No idea. I mean worked for the Bombers there, but not sure if that should be a standard.

But its not like command center was great either. O'Shea's challemge was the most obvious roughing the passer revies ive ever seen. I dont neccessarily agree with it, but they've established any head contact is a roughing the passer. Sask guy locked onto the facemask and turned him. Incredibly obvious.

Yeah I can't believe they didn't apply roughing there. Soft play, but he very obviously moved his head while holding his facemask, that gets called every single time the last 10 years. The command centre is a huge, huge problem, and has been since inception. An average fan who watches one or two games a week would do a better job than whoever the hell is in there now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Elks looked real good today. Surprising to me, but assuming Harris is legitimately over his TD allergy the could be a darkhorse.

I think it's looking likely that the Stamps magic has finally worn off under Hufnagel. Losing waves of talent to other teams and the NFL eventually takes its toll.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Winnipeg is the best team in the CFL? They are beating down all the teams. Roughriders started 3-0 which was impressive, but they don't look like a match for the Blue Bombers. I think Winnipeg is the measuring stick in the West at least if not the entire CFL.

Reactions: snowkiddin

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Fun fact, because the Bombers had to play in the East for several years when Montreal and Ottawa had their hiatuses from the league, Winnipeg has not finished first in the West since 1972.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I dare to say they predicted this...

BC: Reilly hurt to start year misses ~1.5 games
CGY: Mitchell hurt, out 3 games
EDM: Harris on 6 game IR
SSK: Fajardo concussed missed .5games so far.
TOR: Arbuckle hurt in camp, injured/replaced 2.5 games.
HAM: Masoli hurt early, Evans now hurt bavk and forth Watford has even played.
OTT: Nichols looks still hurt, his arm is done.
MTL: ok no injury to Adams but inconsistent.

Meanwhile Zach Collaros of all people has been healthy all goddamn year so far. What the hell?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I thought for sure Collaros was going to end up hurt somewhere in that back to back with the Riders. He ate some good licks and yet...he kept on trucking

Meanwhile, Calgary pulls Bo off the IR way too soon and he ends up hurt again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad