CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I know that it's early to judge, but it looks like Montreal will win the east and Saskatchewan the west. I was hoping that Hamilton would be in the Grey cup while hosting it. It could be because Hamilton is already having alot of key players injured like Posey, Wynne etc. They also lost alot through retirement, but I guess most teams have had that problem.

Not sure how Saskatchewan could be a favourite over Winnipeg? It's early but it appears to be a battle between those two but I easily give the edge to Winnipeg right now. If Mike Reilly gets healthy BC might be a darkhorse, with him at like 35% healthy he nearly led a comeback from down 31-9 at half. Reilly at full health and solid chance BC wins that game never having spotted Sask 28 points.

Not loving the start of the season for Hamilton, the offense looks lost at the best of times. Hopefully, they can get things going soon as I would love to see us in the GC in our host year.

Hamilton has gone from "solid Grey Cup favourite" to "I'm not sure this is a playoff team" in two weeks. It all starts with the offensive line, and they are getting rag-dolled out there. Filer retiring right as camp was starting was a setback that they evidently could not afford, and with Addison injured, opposing defenses can focus on Banks and they have shut him right down. Hamilton's offense through two games has performed at 2019 Redblacks level, something unimaginable 10 days ago, and I'm not sure there's an easy fix. When your o-line is bad, everything else suffers, just look at BC in 2019.

To be fair to Hamilton, they've played what has clearly been the early stand outs in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. I agree with Kyle McMahon here though that OLine is very concerning for Hamilton. I think with the poor roster in Ottawa overall that it will be very hard for Hamilton to miss the playoffs, but they certainly don't look like any kind of favourite right now.

BC Lions to announce new ownership today

Press conference at 11:15 am PST/2:15 EST

Queue the Rock rumours! Will wait and see

Sounds like it's a local group. Good for BC, glad it didn't drag on too long.

Reactions: Mightygoose

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Glad it didn't drag on and also how it didn't play out in the media like Montreal's did with every prospective owner using the press to make their case. Only for it to happen out of nowhere like this one seems to. The way deals like this should be done.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What a start to the season. Riders look like the team to beat in the West with the Bombers just a hair below them.

I'm confused as to how this has become a narrative. If BC had an even halfway capable kicker they win that first game despite having a raw rookie start and spot Sask a 31-0 lead

The Bombers have looked more complete and well rounded that the Riders who have been up and down a bit. Bombers also have more guys coming back (Harris, Adams, Alden) that will be key pieces compared to Sask, who yes have lost key guys but they aren't coming back (Dean, Labatte, Lokombo).

Sask looks dangerous but right now I easily take the Bombers over them. Of course it can all change pretty quickly, I would have had BC over EDM fairly easily until last night. The Labour Day/Banjo Bowl matchups just might be for the division if one team can sweep.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sask has looked slightly better than Winnipeg to my eye, but they're fully healthy. The Bombers have a lot of injuries.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Dang, THAT close to pulling off a miracle comeback. Overall, too many penalties and that Adams pick was a killer. It would also have been crazy to CGY start 0-3 with all the games at home. I'll take starting 1-1 on the road though considering they had to flight back and forth accross the country on a short week.

Reactions: donghabs98

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Dang, THAT close to pulling off a miracle comeback. Overall, too many penalties and that Adams pick was a killer. It would also have been crazy to CGY start 0-3 with all the games at home. I'll take starting 1-1 on the road though considering they had to flight back and forth accross the country on a short week.
The penalties were really bad, they need to be much more disciplined. That final drive was nuts. Tough they didnt score but the fact they were so close is impressive.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Mike O'Shea decides to kickoff twice. Doesn't look like there's much of a wind there, what a bizarre decision.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm confused as to how this has become a narrative. If BC had an even halfway capable kicker they win that first game despite having a raw rookie start and spot Sask a 31-0 lead

The Bombers have looked more complete and well rounded that the Riders who have been up and down a bit. Bombers also have more guys coming back (Harris, Adams, Alden) that will be key pieces compared to Sask, who yes have lost key guys but they aren't coming back (Dean, Labatte, Lokombo).

Sask looks dangerous but right now I easily take the Bombers over them. Of course it can all change pretty quickly, I would have had BC over EDM fairly easily until last night. The Labour Day/Banjo Bowl matchups just might be for the division if one team can sweep.

aged quite well. heh heh.

just some friendly ribbing. its a long season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
aged quite well. heh heh.

just some friendly ribbing. its a long season.

Yeah no doubt haha.

Well see. Im still taking Bombers in a heads up match up right now, particularly if the Bombers get anywhere close to healthy. By rights both teams should be 2-1 but overall Sask has been better last 2 weeks.

CFL is always odd, this year in particular.

Jake Maier is the player to watch this week in the CFL, imo. Bombers D had a few great plays against Arbuckle, and a bunch of mediocre plays. Big test for a guy who was...uneven in his first start. But if Maier is legit its hard to count out Calgary.

Reactions: tacogeoff

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Dane Evans getting the start for Hamilton this week. Coach O says it's due to a Masoli injury and not his performance.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Dane Evans getting the start for Hamilton this week. Coach O says it's due to a Masoli injury and not his performance.

Reads as a save face moment by the coach for Masoli no? Masoli himself said he saw no reason he wouldn't be the starter after the bye. Both are solid QBs, albeit after Evans meltdown in the GC where he was throwing temper tantrums I have serious concerns about Evans maturity. We'll see how this plays out but I don't think Masoli was the problem for Hamilton in Weeks 1 and 2 and I don't think Evans alone is going to change much.

Not too say that Hamilton is dead, they have a good team still probably. But it's OL, WR that need to wake up over there, IMO. And I've never been a big fan of their leadership core, seems like too many whiners and slimeballs (see Banks, Evans for the former and Lawrence for the latter). Still a talented team and hey I don't know these guys personally so what do I know.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Van Zeyl on the 6 game now for the TiCats. If they can't fix that o-line, they're in trouble, I really don't think Evans is going to make much difference over Masoli.

I'm not sure it's quite panic time in the Hammer, but Toronto and Montreal both look pretty good so far. I'm genuinely surprised the TiCats are favoured tonight, Montreal's roster is just plain better right now with how few injuries they have and how many the Cats have.

Still early, but I can't see Ottawa making the playoffs and Edmonton is probably screwed at this point with one, maybe two forfeitures imminent. Hamilton and BC battling for the last playoff spot in the east isn't an unrealistic scenario.

Disregard this whole post after the TiCats win 35-6 tonight.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah no doubt haha.

Well see. Im still taking Bombers in a heads up match up right now, particularly if the Bombers get anywhere close to healthy. By rights both teams should be 2-1 but overall Sask has been better last 2 weeks.

CFL is always odd, this year in particular.

Jake Maier is the player to watch this week in the CFL, imo. Bombers D had a few great plays against Arbuckle, and a bunch of mediocre plays. Big test for a guy who was...uneven in his first start. But if Maier is legit its hard to count out Calgary.
Yeah I agree with this. While I do believe you’ve been a bit blinded by homerism re: the Bombers, you’re still mostly levelheaded and the Bombers have had an absurd number of injuries to key players.

I give the Bombers a slight edge when both teams are fully healthy, but Suckskatchewan and the Bombers are clearly one and two in the league.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Montreal is talented, but lacking between the ears. Just one bonehead call/penalty/dropped ball after another all night. Adams' arm strength is just not there on deep balls, three guys open 40 yards down field and he underthrew them all. Toronto might be 2 games up on the whole division assuming they get the forfeit win, which the rules state they should.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Was busy earlier, just finishing up the OTT BC game. I feel bad for OTT fans. This is the Bombers O without their Oline and perhaps more importantly Andrew Harris. Just nothing there. I know Nichols hates the "game manager" label but theres seriously almost never in the past 20 years been a QB that has better suited that label. He needs big play makers at RB and WR to make an offense work. The rain played an effect today but still. Good news is the D in OTT will keep them in most games it seems.

Really sucks that WPG doesnt get to play OTT this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad