OT: The Books Thread

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
We have one of these for music and movies, so I figured one more to help pass the tedium of the offseason couldn't hurt. Would someone like to start? or will I be left sitting here alone with a party-size bag of Lays?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I'm currently re-reading Larry Sloman's Thin ice which concerns the Rangers 79-80 season and was thinking of commenting on the Greschner thread about it but since you've started this thread I'll come here first. Generally I read fiction--a lot of it is literature in translation, some poetry, some history. A few of the books I like best that I've read this year:

A brief history of seven killings--Marlon James--has a music theme--the action of the novel revolving around criminal gangs vying for power in Jamaica and the assassination attempt on Bob Marley in the 70's. It won the Man Booker prize.

The Power of the Dog and its sequel The Cartel--Don Winslow. Novels set mainly in Mexico and the southwest United States which are pretty much about Mexican Cartels and our war on drugs.

Outlaws--Javier Cercas--a kind of coming of age novel set in Spain--a middle class reject of a kid hooks up with a gang of young criminals--later on he becomes a lawyer but his past keeps coming back to haunt him.

The Sympathizer--Viet Thuhn Nguyen. A novel kind of about the Viet Nam war from the perspective of a Viet Cong spy spying on a bunch of defeated South Vietnamese Army officers in Los Angeles plotting on returning to Vietnam to launch a guerrilla war.

On the edge--Rafael Chirbes-- a novel set in Spain after the 2008 banking collapse. Pretty much about personal disaster.

Fishing the sloe black river--short stories by Colum McCann.

The house of Ulysses--Julian Rios--if you've ever read James Joyce's Ulysses and liked it--you should read this book.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Currently reading the second book of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy because somehow I never read them. ****ing amazing stuff.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
FWIW I'm currently re-reading Larry Sloman's Thin ice which concerns the Rangers 79-80 season and was thinking of commenting on the Greschner thread about it but since you've started this thread I'll come here first. Generally I read fiction--a lot of it is literature in translation, some poetry, some history. A few of the books I like best that I've read this year:

A brief history of seven killings--Marlon James--has a music theme--the action of the novel revolving around criminal gangs vying for power in Jamaica and the assassination attempt on Bob Marley in the 70's. It won the Man Booker prize.

The Power of the Dog and its sequel The Cartel--Don Winslow. Novels set mainly in Mexico and the southwest United States which are pretty much about Mexican Cartels and our war on drugs.

Outlaws--Javier Cercas--a kind of coming of age novel set in Spain--a middle class reject of a kid hooks up with a gang of young criminals--later on he becomes a lawyer but his past keeps coming back to haunt him.

The Sympathizer--Viet Thuhn Nguyen. A novel kind of about the Viet Nam war from the perspective of a Viet Cong spy spying on a bunch of defeated South Vietnamese Army officers in Los Angeles plotting on returning to Vietnam to launch a guerrilla war.

On the edge--Rafael Chirbes-- a novel set in Spain after the 2008 banking collapse. Pretty much about personal disaster.

Fishing the sloe black river--short stories by Colum McCann.

The house of Ulysses--Julian Rios--if you've ever read James Joyce's Ulysses and liked it--you should read this book.
I want to try this after Infinite Jest.

You may have heard of me.
I don't get it. :laugh:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I wrapped up The Atlantis Gene trilogy not too long ago. If anyone likes sci-fi, highly recommend.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I finally read The Road by Cormack McCarthy. Nice light summer read. :laugh:

Before that I was on a bit of a Sci-Fi kick and knocked out some Phillip K Dick that I hadn't read. Ubik, The Man In The High Castle (hope the show is better), and some short stories.

Right now I am in the middle of North And South, a Civil War epic about two families. Has the scope of a grand fantasy novel, with the setting of the Civil War.

The most influential book I discovered this year was Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Oddly enough via Pearl Jam, as apparently their song Do The Evolution was inspired by the book. I would highly recommend everyone read it...there are some logical issues but it's thought provoking for sure.

Two recommendations for this summer / summer reading list:

1. The Amazing Adventures and Kavalier & Clay; has been my favorite work of Fiction since I read it in High School. Just give it a shot.

2. Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction. This should be mandatory reading for all of HF. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is working on. Always in the market for a new book.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Currently reading the second book of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy because somehow I never read them. ****ing amazing stuff.

That is the only series that I can read again and it still makes me laugh.

I am a huge Song of Ice and Fire fan (not the show, it's a fanfic at this point). Basically any fantasy really does it for me.

Last edited:

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink

Book is about leadership & discipline from 2 former Navy Seals. It's a really great book imo

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
All of the 'Jack Reacher' books are great. However, after you read them, you'll understand why Tom Cruise should have never played him in the movie. :laugh:

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Anything written by Henry Miller is worth reading.
Cloud Atlas or The Bone Clock by David Mitchell

Black Magic for Dark Times: Spells of Revenge and Protection and
The 48 laws of power are always good to read together

Shopclass as soulcraft by Matt Crawford if you work with your hands as I do.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Am I the only nerd that reads strictly non-fiction? Anyway, great book I recently finished is Give and Take by Adam Grant. Adam Grant is also a super nice guy who responded to my e-mails and questions. He also has a book called "the Originals" that I'm in the middle of right now and that's great.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
All of the 'Jack Reacher' books are great. However, after you read them, you'll understand why Tom Cruise should have never played him in the movie. :laugh:

Just re-read 20 of the Reacher books in the past 3 weeks, still very enjoyable. As the directir said at the time, "he may not look like Jack, but without him noone is paying money to get this movie made".

Currently reading Irvine Welsh's 'Blade Artist', a couple of old Terry Pratchett (RIP) books and finishing up Marky Ramones autobiography.

Someone mentioned A Brief History of 7 killings before; awesome book. Got it for Xmas and couldn't put it down.

I highly recommend Jasoer Fforde's Shades of Grey, but it's taking ages for the sequel to arrive.
The Storm light Archives by Brendon Sanderson is a good series for people wanting fantasy.

Also, Michael Herr died last week. His book 'Dispatches' about the Vietnam War shojld be read by all

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'll second HatTrickSwayzes recommendation of The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Great book.

Favorite book of all time for me is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If you like mythology or fantasy, it's great.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Just re-read 20 of the Reacher books in the past 3 weeks, still very enjoyable. As the directir said at the time, "he may not look like Jack, but without him noone is paying money to get this movie made".

Currently reading Irvine Welsh's 'Blade Artist', a couple of old Terry Pratchett (RIP) books and finishing up Marky Ramones autobiography.

Someone mentioned A Brief History of 7 killings before; awesome book. Got it for Xmas and couldn't put it down.

I highly recommend Jasoer Fforde's Shades of Grey, but it's taking ages for the sequel to arrive.
The Storm light Archives by Brendon Sanderson is a good series for people wanting fantasy.

Also, Michael Herr died last week. His book 'Dispatches' about the Vietnam War shojld be read by all
Trainspotting is one of my favorites.

If you're in the market for a summer novel, and don't mind carrying around a 3lb book + dictionary, Infinite Jest (1996) might be what you are looking for.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cg3YudVWgAESPZu.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany