Player Discussion The Bison King's powerplay role

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I create two threads at the same time, my first and my last one ever. I understand some may take this as a fanboy's talk and it's okay. I don't want to annoy anyone but I'd like to create a bit of talk about what Puljujarvi's PP role is and what it maybe should or shouldn't be. I have a strong opinion on this one, but there's no right or wrong ones.

You can find the proof in the post history this fanbase used to feel strongly Pulju should be an important part in the PP. Pulju used to be pretty ideal as a playmaker+shooter. As far as I know he's been used in that position twice in the Oilers. Right at the beginning of his NHL career when he only hit the post a few times and in one preseason game after which fans over here were pretty thrilled about him.

Pulju's consistency hasn't been quite at the level I hoped. However, he was playing well right before getting covid and he isn't quite in the same form yet.

I understand there was a time when the PP was historically good. Now Nuge and McDavid were out but Tippett used someone like Turris instead. Him and Hyman got almost twice as much PP usage, Turris 2,5 times more. Pulju wasn't trusted at the end of the game or earlier on the OT either.

Puljujarvi used to be maybe the very best of his age group in his old PP role. He made plays, moved a lot, was always a threat with his shot and was quick to defend when needed. It's not certain it'll work in the Oilers, but I honestly believe there's at least a 50% chance he won't leave that place if given a chance.

So the question is should Pulju be TRIED in his old PP role? If the answer is no maybe the Oilers should consider trading him for someone who is useful on the PP too? I believe this lack of trust is eating Pulju's confidence and unfortunately he is a player that seems to need that. I'm hoping there'll be a new coach who will turn every stone for success and wants to try this option too.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There's just one game within a period of about two weeks so if they wanted to try Pulju in that role and especially if Nuge is still out this would be a great opportunity. If they really want to keep Nuge in they could also try Pulju in the 2nd unit. His PP minutes as a net presence are low so it's not like he's absolutely needed there.

I don't know how to put timestamps but here's a couple of videos of Puljujarvi's PP role. They give a bit of an idea of how he carried the puck up, moved a lot, searched for an open spot, passed the puck and shot.
In the first one there are a few examples between the times 4:30-5:00 and starting from 6:00.

There's also some examples here (though he started the FEL season PPs on the right side), for example at 5:20. I didn't check this through, just happened to see that part and think it's a fairly good example of his natural position.
[/QUOTE]

I believe opening this thread is my final effort to try to talk about this. It'll be interesting to see if this raises any interest or if it's just me thinking about this :)

Reactions: PulYou

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Not really sure what the OP is about exactly, but it's a Tippett issue. Tippett doesn't understand his roster. Puljujarvi needs to be on the PP not just because of the reason (probably) listed, but because he's one of the top forwards on the roster. Turris is barely one of the top forwards on the Condors

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I create two threads at the same time, my first and my last one ever. I understand some may take this as a fanboy's talk and it's okay. I don't want to annoy anyone but I'd like to create a bit of talk about what Puljujarvi's PP role is and what it maybe should or shouldn't be. I have a strong opinion on this one, but there's no right or wrong ones.

You can find the proof in the post history this fanbase used to feel strongly Pulju should be an important part in the PP. Pulju used to be pretty ideal as a playmaker+shooter. As far as I know he's been used in that position twice in the Oilers. Right at the beginning of his NHL career when he only hit the post a few times and in one preseason game after which fans over here were pretty thrilled about him.

Pulju's consistency hasn't been quite at the level I hoped. However, he was playing well right before getting covid and he isn't quite in the same form yet.

I understand there was a time when the PP was historically good. Now Nuge and McDavid were out but Tippett used someone like Turris instead. Him and Hyman got almost twice as much PP usage, Turris 2,5 times more. Pulju wasn't trusted at the end of the game or earlier on the OT either.

Puljujarvi used to be maybe the very best of his age group in his old PP role. He made plays, moved a lot, was always a threat with his shot and was quick to defend when needed. It's not certain it'll work in the Oilers, but I honestly believe there's at least a 50% chance he won't leave that place if given a chance.

So the question is should Pulju be TRIED in his old PP role? If the answer is no maybe the Oilers should consider trading him for someone who is useful on the PP too? I believe this lack of trust is eating Pulju's confidence and unfortunately he is a player that seems to need that. I'm hoping there'll be a new coach who will turn every stone for success and wants to try this option too.
I do think there are a few spots on pp1 that should have player rotation. Pp2 barely sees more than a few seconds out there, if that, and power plays are exceedingly rare lately.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I do think there are a few spots on pp1 that should have player rotation. Pp2 barely sees more than a few seconds out there, if that, and power plays are exceedingly rare lately.

I agree. It's also that PP2 usually starts from the own end so their actual PP time is even less than on paper.

Bouchard has been suggested as a PP option. I believe he'll make a good option as well, but after seeing Puljujarvi on the PP before the Oilers I believed he'll be one of the key PP players one day in the NHL too. I can't believe it's something no coach wants to try. I think Pulju himself should be vocal about this, probably not publicly (like someone like Laine probably would) but to Tippett and the other coaches. If it doesn't work then we'll know, but if it works like I believe everyone will feel stupid for not even trying it earlier.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid and Draisaitl need to earn their points like others in the league. Stop getting over 1.5 minutes on average per PP and start getting used properly. They should have 1 min tops to get their shit done so PP #2 can get in their and get their offensive juices flowing. The Oilers have a metric shit ton of options for two great PP units instead of just one incredible one. Im convinced this is a large reason why the team outside of McDrai/#1 PP get such a disproportional amount of points compared to other teams secondary/depth players. That and ice time in general is just used so extensively for McDrai.

As for Pulj it doesn't actually matter if he is on #1 PP or #2 when the Oiler pull their head out of their asses and start deploying the PP correctly.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Not really sure what the OP is about exactly, but it's a Tippett issue. Tippett doesn't understand his roster. Puljujarvi needs to be on the PP not just because of the reason (probably) listed, but because he's one of the top forwards on the roster. Turris is barely one of the top forwards on the Condors

I used to love watching Pulju on the PP, I felt he was actually one of the most entertaining PP players and part of why I got so interested about the player.

He was good in the FEL and in the U20 team, looked (at least visually, heh) good even in the men's national team too. Especially when facing an easier competition at WJC-18 he was the heart and soul of the PP.

The Oilers need to try something drastic. Now the PP isn't good enough to win games often enough. They may have some aces left and one of them could be Puljujarvi driving one of the PP units. I agree with you, it's strange they see players like Turris and earlier ones like Camallieri as better options. However, it's not too late so maybe Tippett will be gone and this option at least checked.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I believe any PP is better with a shot threat as this created room for the others. A powerplay with McDavid and Drai means this extra room is lethal. If it's the 2nd unit this extra room still means the others have a better chance to score.

For the Oilers the two main options are Puljujarvi and Bouchard. I don't know Bouchard's history enough to say how good he was at making plays, but as long as these two are not utilized in major PP roles I feel the Oilers aren't getting out everything.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
There was talk about this already in 2018. Here's a few quotes from an article written in March 2018:

With the exception of the power-play, penalty kill, goaltending, and overall coaching in general, nothing has frustrated Oilers fans this season as much as the usage of fourth overall pick Jesse Puljujarvi.

Is anyone else tired of hearing that Puljujarvi has to earn his opportunities on the power play and in the top six? I know I am.

Just in case you were wondering, Puljujarvi has only played 40 minutes on the power-play this season, which is 10th among forwards if you include Maroon and Letestu.

The Curious Case of Jesse Puljujarvi

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Puljujarvi can't hit the net. Until he figures that out I vote no to pp

It's a confidence game (apart from McDavid and Drai maybe). Puljujarvi is scoring PP goals at a much better rate than Hyman and even better than McDavid so it's not like he definitely needs to be playing less than Hyman.

Reactions: PulYou and RattsSSV

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
I remember seeing this kid blasting huge bombs on the pp, onetimer goals.

Now I see the same kid playing in front of the net all the time, never being a shooting option. What gives?

Even his 5v5 play seems to be all about getting in front of the net.

You could say; yeah, but he fumbles the puck alot and it takes ages to get his shot off, but I don't know. I've seen him playing with huge confidence and being a force out there too. Maybe trust him a little more and put him in a place where he can succeed?

It doesn't help that he seems to be your average finn taking everything said to him super seriosly and being down on himself alot. I'd love to see how much his stats dropped after McDavid yelled at him :laugh:

Reactions: Whyme

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2022-1-9_11-55-7.png

His last 4 games were a nice chance for him to show he can step up and be a difference maker/line driver... not sure it's going the best. I've noticed this all season.. gets hot and cold and is still not very consistent. I know PP time would help his points but he hasn't been that noticeable. Maybe it was the Covid but I've been told all the NHL players are asymptoamtic and it doesn't affect them at all repeatedly on here so it can't be that. He had a 4 game pointless streak in November too. Given he's on a primo line and in a primo position I don't think he should have 2 4 game pointless streaks before season is half over.

upload_2022-1-9_11-58-25.png

Good news is that he has yet to have a 5 game pointelss streak so he is guaranteed to get some points in the next game!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He hasn't been the same player for awhile now. Not sure if it is injuries, confidence issues, or the losing is getting him down. His skating hasn't been as good by my eye and he doesn't look to be making plays with confidence. He needs a goal to get back on track. IMO Hyman should be moved off the McDavid line when RNH returns. Hyman doesn't create for his teammates, his whole game is getting shots on goal and taking the puck to the net. He might be better served to be the line driver on our 3rd line.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
View attachment 496975

His last 4 games were a nice chance for him to show he can step up and be a difference maker/line driver... not sure it's going the best. I've noticed this all season.. gets hot and cold and is still not very consistent. I know PP time would help his points but he hasn't been that noticeable. Maybe it was the Covid but I've been told all the NHL players are asymptoamtic and it doesn't affect them at all repeatedly on here so it can't be that. He had a 4 game pointless streak in November too. Given he's on a primo line and in a primo position I don't think he should have 2 4 game pointless streaks before season is half over.

View attachment 496976

Good news is that he has yet to have a 5 game pointelss streak so he is guaranteed to get some points in the next game!

What kind of logic is this?

Both Pulju and Nurse took a hit on their condition. This is apparently also why the coach has been managing Jesse’s TOI.

And there is a study out there that vaccinated top athletes have had a lot of myocarditis after catching the virus.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
He hasn't been the same player for awhile now. Not sure if it is injuries, confidence issues, or the losing is getting him down. His skating hasn't been as good by my eye and he doesn't look to be making plays with confidence. He needs a goal to get back on track. IMO Hyman should be moved off the McDavid line when RNH returns. Hyman doesn't create for his teammates, his whole game is getting shots on goal and taking the puck to the net. He might be better served to be the line driver on our 3rd line.

You do remember that he was chosen as a first star of the last game he played before entering the covid protocol? It has been four games after and his condition clearly has taken a hit.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You do remember that he was chosen as a first star of the last game he played before entering the covid protocol? It has been four games after and his condition clearly has taken a hit.

He has had some good games but IIRC his skating had already taken a bit of a hit. I am a huge fan of the kid, IMO after he was bitched out by McDavid for going offside he has been a lot more unsure out there and players need to play on instinct, not the fear of being bitched out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What kind of logic is this?

Both Pulju and Nurse took a hit on their condition. This is apparently also why the coach has been managing Jesse’s TOI.

And there is a study out there that vaccinated top athletes have had a lot of myocarditis after catching the virus.
You may have misread my sarcasm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad